Killed by your own party member!

hafrogman

Adventurer
While we havent had any fatalaties yet it is not uncommon for our group Wizard to routinely catch the fighter in his various AoE effects.
You haven't really lived until the wizard gives you a speculative look and asks how many hit points you have left.

Or, as is frequently said to the party cleric, "You have fire resist, right?"

Shroomy

Adventurer
I'm just glad all of my artificer's AoE spells only target enemies. I have a great synergy with our oft-surrounded fighter.

Jack99

Adventurer
In november, we had our annual D&D weekend, hidden away in a cabin, away from all the vibes. So the session was quite long (we played around 30-35 hours during the weekend), but none the less, I, or should I say the party managed to kill the warlock no less than 3 times!

It all began when the bugbear strangler snatched to warlock and garotted him. A few seconds later, the rogue comes out from the shadows around the corner, throws at the bugbear, who saw him coming. But the warlock didn't! Crit from the rogue, with sneak attack and everything! Warlock goes splat (I think he ended up like one from being permanently dead.

A few combats later, the fighter gets dominated, the monster (can't recall what it was) spots that the warlock is bloodied and in general bad shape, and sends the fighter on him. Dead warlock - again.

And the last time, well that was almsot an exact copy of the second. Monster dominates fighter, who charges the poor warlock, and crits. That hurts with a highcrit vicious weapon. Warlock go more or less oneshotted.

It was a great night ;)

Ydars

Explorer
I was DMing a low level 3.5E game in Ptolus last year.

My daughter was playing a wizard, her first try at playing a spellcaster.
Anyway, the party were in the sewers, hunting for rat-men when three burst around the corner. My daughter's character cranks off a sleep spell and hits the the rat men.......and the dwarf fighter PC. The rat men save and the dwarf doesn't, so down he goes into the icky water. The rat men then coup-de-grace him. I almost wet myself laughing.

The player of the dwarf fighter later got hold of a goblin warpstone gas bomb in a WFRP v1 game and let it off in a corridor. Three rounds later, he was dead and half the rest of the party was unconscious..............the monsters nearly died laughing and so did I.

Our first ever 3.5E game was also very amusing; two of the halfling PCs kept arguing and suddenly one attacked the other. Before the party could implode, the wizard cast sleep (that spell again!) and both went down. Fed up with them, they put the two halflings into a large chest and pushed it outside the secret room where the party was resting. Later, as they slept, a skeleton patrol came down the corridor and opened the chest. When they found the sleeping halflings they stabbed them both to death. I was crying with laughter by the end.

TheGlow

First Post
Ahh, I remember back in 2nd edition with my thief.
I never even used ranged weapons and we found a bow with disintegration arrows....
We get attacked by a wyvern, I said watch this! 1 hit kill!
I rolled a 1, dm said it pops the fighter in the back, instant kill.
Oops, ok, I got em this time. Rolled a 1.
There goes the cleric/mage.
The rest of the group yells at me stop it.
I said nah, I got this, last arrow. rolled a 1.
Pop goes the ranger.
Oh well, just me and no more arrows.
I jump on the wyvern and try stabbing it repeatedly, to which he flies straight up. I eventually slay it, and the DM says well, you fall off and take... 15d6 damage. But to save time, roll 1 and we'll just x15.
I said Im on a roll baby! I roll a 1. I think I survived with 5 hp and dragged everyone back to a temple...
They never trusted me with arrows ever again. Mind you they beat me up in the temple to 0...

daHeadRat

Explorer
Thunderwave did it in my 4e game. The party was fighting some pixie swarms and individual pixie types (basically reskinned Needlefang Swarm, Kobold Slyblade, and Kobold Minions) and the Paladin went down and out. The swarms advanced upon the Wizard who wanted to use Thunderwave to push them back. The Paladin would be caught in the blast but both players weren't too concerned as the Paladin hadn't gone that far below 0. It's a crit on the Paladin. The extra d6 damage from a magic implement...a 6. The max damage was exactly enough to kill the Paladin.

It worked out okay though. In the next encounter, the party used the Paladin's body (sans a hand for Raise Dead later on) and a Tenser's Floating Disk to "fish" for some worm things with tremorsense that would erupt from a sandy floor and attack. It actually saved the life of another party member.

Of course, the Wizard hasn't learned his lesson yet and has caught at least three other party members in Thunderwave since then (in his defense, he didn't quite now where everyone was due to total concealment). Needless to say, Thunderwave is becoming something of a dirty word with my group.

Cadfan

First Post
Our party's fighter has armor that provides him with resistance to fire damage. He refuses to use any other armor, even arguably better armor, because our party's wizard has... overenthusiasm issues. It doesn't help that the wizard is a tiefling and naturally resistant to flames, as is the party paladin. They figure the fighter should quit whining- fire doesn't hurt that much.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
We've had a couple party kills in various games.

In 2nd edition D&D, the group was wandering through a massive battlefield, trying not to get caught in the fighting (they were about level 2). The party wizard (who managed to lose an impressive 10 or so characters, all wizards, during the game) snuck off to loot some bodies and found one that wasn't dead. So, he hitches up his robes and runs through the woods, calling for help with an injured soldier chasing after him.
The party ranger sees him, aims, and rolls a 1.
I say, "make an attack roll against the wizard".
Crit.

The wizard player also inadvertantly caused the death of another character when they were fighting a black dragon. Everyone else spread out so the breath weapon couldn't hit more than one, but the wizard decides he'll be safest if he hides behind the brand-new player, who just moved to town and just finished making his first ever RPG character.
The dragon, seeing his only chance to hit more than one PC with his breath weapon proceeds to dissolve both the wizard and the new player.
The new player instantly got the nickname "Puddle," a name that stuck with him all the way through high-school, even with people who didn't roleplay - that was how he introduced himself! We never called him by his real name and I think some people in the group never even knew it, just knew him as Puddle.

In an Alternity game I ran, one of the characters was knocked unconcious by some bounty hunters and fell into a pit full of giant insect-like creatures. The characters escaped the bounty hunters and headed into the hive to find their companion.
After hours of fighting their way into its depths, they found their friend and were blasting their way out, carrying and dragging his unconcious body as they went, when the bounty hunters showed up and threw a grenade at them.
Without hesitation, one of the PCs threw their friend's unconcious body onto the grenade. I guess you might call it "involuntary dramatic heroism."

In our Dark Heresy game we played before 4e came out, we were at the tail end of a dramatic fight (the temple attack near the end of the adventure that comes with the book). My Assassin was the only one standing. The Tech-Priest had lost his leg to a cleaver and lay dead in the mud. The Skum had lost his face to one of said cleavers and lay bleeding out in a tent. The Psycher took a bullet to the chest and lay unconcious not far from where my Assassin fought three more barbarians with cleavers.
Risking cleaver attacks to get some distance, my Assassin pulls out a molotov cocktail and lobs it, missing horribly.
Rolling on the random deviation chart, the molotov cocktail lands exactly on the unconcious psyker. There was a round of high-fives after that, including from the psyker's player. (Psykers are awesome and we hate them).

The latest player kill(from my SH game) involved a PC grappled by a caged bugbear and a zealous PC archer firing into said fight. The grappled PC had about 2 hp left when the archer hit him with an arrow for something like 1d8+10 damage...

In the 4e game we're playing, we did have our rogue get possessed and drop the cleric with a sneak-attack, but he didn't kill him...

The_Warlock

Explorer
While there have been many intra-party kills in the course of my RPG experience, the best was more an insult to injury event...

Playing Rolemaster, the holy warrior can create a field of golden light around him 10' in all directions. Whenever an evil creature enters or remains in the aura, they suffer a Class A Bludgeoning Critical.

Apparently deities like bludgeoning with light...

Anyway, the character in question also has a flaw which makes certain holy power stronger, but if he rolls a certain number on the percentile dice (on ANY roll), he gets a blinding backflash of power - which hits him with pain and blinds him. This usually means his aura and other holy powers go down unless he makes a resistance roll versus the pain. New to Rolemaster at the time, I'm unfamiliar with the specifics.

He wades through a horde of Orc warriors rolling massive criticals without having to even swing his sword, while the rest of us circle the villains' caravan and attack from other directions.

Having almost gotten to where I'm fighting, he rolls the aforementioned backlash number. The orc's skull explodes, but the paladin stands there with his eyes flaring with gold-white fire and wracked with pain.

Knowing that there was a wrecked wagon in front of him, and no immediate enemies before he went blind, he staggers forward, saying, "I..I...I'm going to sit down now."

It is at this point I look at the gamemaster and the paladin player and say, "I really hate to say this, but, um, Blane just walked through my Wall of Cold to sit down. So, that means I roll a Class A Cold Critical on him, right?"

Frostbite ensues, and from the player of the paladin we hear, "I'm...I'm gonna lie down now."

It took a while to fix him up...

Remove ads