[KK2]Encounter 2: Warm up is over. (Healing)

Victim

First Post
The shambling mounds and stormrage shambler correspond to evidence found from attacks on the towns and villages in area.

After dispatching the plants and fey apparently guarding the area, the group uses its tracking skills, arcane knowledge, insight into fey powers, and clues from the enemies to deduce that the plants are most likely being directed from the ruined and abandoned city in the swamp. Hundreds of years ago, it was the heart of the region; a wealthy port city that traded with far off lands. Then the area started to flood, there was some sort of attempted coup or civil war, and the city was abandoned with many dying in flight. Some stories hold that wealth of trading houses remains in the city.

Getting there will mean crossing the flooded, marsh like area surrounding the city that used to be the belt of farms feeding it. (You can throw some rituals or something to help the water now).

After the group has traveled for about 2 hours, they see a dragon circling high in the air. The dragon also notices them; in response, the large deep blue beast doubles back and drops low. It's not long before it returns, popping back up briefly to improve its field of view every so often. Its approach to the group is slow, as if the dragon is trying not to outdistance slower allies. Lightning flashes while the monster skims the grasses. Soon, it will be upon you.

kk1e2uj8.png

By victimen at 2008-09-29

[sblock=Map Key]
Green grass squares: tall grasses up to about a person's height. Light obscuring terrain: Concealment to things in/through it; and more than 5 squares of it blocks line of sight. Difficult terrain.

Brown squares: ground. No terrain effects.

Olive mud squares: about an inch of water and then mud. -1 Speed to creatures moving in it without some sort of water walking/swamp effect. This speed reduction for moving in affected squares is a difficult terrain effect. Shifting is unaffected, since it only affects your speed.

I wanted something less harsh than difficult terrain (especially with the anti shift stuff last time) that would still reward people for picking stuff that helps to deal with swampy terrain features.

Red squares: You start in here. I gave you almost a third of the map, and it's like 35x35. So don't start in the back and then try to shift off the board - I'm giving you plenty of room right now, I think, and I'm not drawing more stuff.[/sblock]

[sblock=Monster Knowledge]
Blue Dragon: Large magic natural beast artillery solo
[sblock=stats]
Adult Blue Dragon Level 13 Solo Artillery
Large natural magical beast (dragon) XP 4,000
Initiative +9 Senses Perception +13; darkvision
HP 655; Bloodied 327; see also bloodied breath
AC 30; Fortitude 31, Reflex 28, Will 27
Resist 20 lightning
Saving Throws +5
Speed 8, fl y 10 (hover), overland flight 15
Action Points 2
mGore (standard; at-will) ✦ Lightning
Reach 2; +18 vs. AC; 1d8 + 6 plus 1d6 lightning damage, and the
target is pushed 1 square and knocked prone.
m Claw (standard; at-will)
Reach 2; +16 vs. AC; 1d6 + 6 damage.
M Draconic Fury (standard; at-will)
The dragon makes a gore attack and two claw attacks.
R Breath Weapon (standard; recharge 5, 6) ✦ Lightning
The dragon targets up to three creatures with its lightning
breath; the first target must be within 10 squares of the dragon,
the second target within 10 squares of the first, and the third
target within 10 squares of the second; +18 vs. Reflex; 2d12 +
10 lightning damage. Miss: Half damage. This attack does not
provoke opportunity attacks.
R Bloodied Breath (free when first bloodied; encounter) ✦
Lightning
The dragon’s breath weapon recharges, and the dragon uses it
immediately.
C Frightful Presence (standard; encounter) ✦ Fear
Close burst 5; targets enemies; +18 vs. Will; the target is
stunned until the end of the dragon’s next turn. Aftereffect: The
target takes a –2 penalty to attack rolls (save ends).
ALightning Burst (standard; at-will) ✦ Lightning
Area burst 3 within 20; +18 vs. Reflex; 2d6 + 4 lightning
damage. Miss: Half damage.
Alignment Evil Languages Common, Draconic
Skills Athletics +22, Insight +13, Nature +13
Str 23 (+12) Dex 16 (+9) Wis 14 (+8)
Con 19 (+10) Int 13 (+7) Cha 14 (+8)
[/sblock]

Shambling Mound:
This a lump of decomposing plant matter with a few vines stuck in that somehow moves. These mounds are somewhat bigger than the last one.[sblock]Shambling Mound Level 13 Brute
Large natural animate (plant) XP 800
Initiative +7 Senses Perception +6; darkvision
HP 160; Bloodied 80
Regeneration 5
AC 25; Fortitude 27, Reflex 22, Will 21
Immune lightning; see also lightning affinity
Speed 4 (swamp walk)
m Tendrils (standard; at-will)
Reach 2; +16 vs. AC; 1d8 + 8 damage.
M Enveloping Double Attack (standard; at-will) ✦ Healing
The shambling mound makes two basic attacks. If both attacks
hit the same Medium or smaller target, the shambling mound
makes a secondary attack against the target. Secondary Attack:
+16 vs. Fortitude; the target is pulled into the shambling mound’s
space and restrained (save ends). While the target is restrained,
no creature has line of sight or line of effect to it. At the start of
the shambling mound’s turn each round, the enveloped target
takes 10 damage and the shambling mound regains 10 hit
points. The shambling mound can envelop up to 2 creatures at a
time. When the target makes its save, it reappears in a square of
its choice adjacent to the shambling mound.
Lightning Affinity (immediate reaction, when hit by a lightning
attack; at-will) ✦ Healing
The shambling mound regains 10 hit points.
Skills Stealth +12
Str 22 (+12) Dex 12 (+7) Wis 10 (+6)
Con 20 (+11) Int 5 (+3) Cha 10 (+6)
[/sblock]

Stormrage Shambler:
Like an ordinary shambling mound, but visibly charged with lightning. This is the Shambling Mound with the Red border. These Stormrages are somewhat bigger than the last one.[sblock]Stormrage Shambler Level 13 Elite Controller
Large natural animate (plant) XP 1,600
Initiative +5 Senses Perception +7; darkvision
Lightning Aura (Lightning) aura 2; enemies that enter or start their
turns in the aura take 5 lightning damage.
HP 270; Bloodied 135
Regeneration 10 Saving Throws +2
AC 27; Fortitude 27, Reflex 20, Will 22
Immune lightning; see also lightning affinity
Speed 8 (swamp walk) Action Points 1
mTendrils (standard; at-will) ✦ Lightning
Reach 2; +16 vs. AC; 1d8 + 6 damage plus 1d8 lightning damage.
While bloodied, the stormrage shambler deals an extra 6
lightning damage.
M Double Attack (standard; at-will) ✦ Lightning
The stormrage shambler makes two basic attacks.
C Lightning Blast (standard; encounter) ✦ Lightning
Close blast 3; +16 vs. Reflex; 3d8 + 7 lightning damage. Miss: Half damage.
Lightning Affinity (immediate reaction, when hit by a lightning
attack; at-will) ✦ Healing
The stormrage shambler regains 10 hit points. The stormrage
shambler cannot attack itself to heal in this fashion.
Alignment Unaligned Languages —
Skills Stealth +9
Str 20 (+11) Dex 8 (+5) Wis 12 (+7)
Con 23 (+12) Int 5 (+3) Cha 7 (+4)
[/sblock]

[/sblock]

Last edited:

covaithe

Explorer
Tharos, arriving at the edge of the mud, grimaces with distaste. "How unpleasant. Still, there's no need to be uncivilized. If you'll excuse me a few moments..." He begins strewing chalks and murmuring snatches of incantation, and after a few minutes, steps gingerly out onto the surface of the mud, which holds him like dry land.

"There now! As secure as the vaults at Steingold's. Anyone else?"

[sblock=ooc]As written, it looks like water walk takes 10 minutes to cast on one person and lasts an hour, so Tharos probably can't cast it on more than five other people and still get any use out of it. We have other ritual casters, don't we?[/sblock]

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Starwinds will move up an get a good look around, "Im more worried about all this grass than the water, wonder what that dragons waiting for?"
[sblock]
start in the nw corner of the third square, bottom row. Unless anyone has a better starting theory.
Lets try not to get to many people in dragon burst area.
Do we know what that is? (arcane +10)
[/sblock]

Victim

First Post
Starwinds will move up an get a good look around, "Im more worried about all this grass than the water, wonder what that dragons waiting for?"
[sblock]
start in the nw corner of the third square, bottom row. Unless anyone has a better starting theory.
Lets try not to get to many people in dragon burst area.
Do we know what that is? (arcane +10)
[/sblock]

Monster knowledge has been added, assuming someone takes 10 and gets powers. In summary, the blue dragon's breath weapon isn't like other dragons, and is more like chain lightning.

I added labels for rows and columns on my current version of the map. That should make things easier.

covaithe

Explorer
"Ah, a blue dragon," Tharos says with a broad grin. Eyes roll and groans can be heard; a lecture is coming. Folding his hands across his ample stomach, Tharos expounds on the virtues of the blue dragon for a minute in sonorous tones with lots of large words. "In short, a most worthy and dangerous foe. We shall be lucky to escape with our lives." The mage seems strangely pleased.

ooc: kn(nature) 33. That should be enough for resistances and vulnerabilities, if this is a paragon tier creature still. If not... :eek:

Walking Dad

First Post
"Hihahahihahihahi, a big blue. In a swamp! I cannot stand this!" The slightly mad fey warlock cackles. Reed draws his rod and dagger and listens to the voices...

[sblock=OOC]
Starting in the 3rd starting zone from left. Most north east corner. (Yes, I maybe stand a bit much in front...)

[sblock=Mini stat block]
Reed Rowan
Perception: 17 Insight: 22 Normal Vision
AC 25 Fortitude 21 Reflex 23 Will 25
Hit Points: 96 / 96 Bloodied: 48
Temporary Hit Points: 0
Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
Healing Surge: 24 Surges per day: 8 / 8

I slash out my used powers on the CS.

[/sblock][/sblock]

industrygothica

Adventurer
"'Lectricity huh?" Narbel looks at his magical electric throwing axe and shrugs, and spits a wad of goo into the swamp as he stows it on his pack. "Guess I won't be needin' 'at'n"

The dwarf splashes up to the front line, pulling out his larger axe and slapping the head of it against his open palm. "C'mon then biggun, Ol' Narbel's got sumptin' fer ye."

And he waits...

[sblock=ooc]Northwest corner of the 5th starting block. Invisible castle is not liking me at the moment, so feel free to roll initiative for me at +6.

FYI, Narbel gets +1 to AC and Reflex defenses against large-sized foes.[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
Torment will shudder as he thinks about the dangers of the large dragon circling overhead, and wonders what a blue dragon is doing with a group of fey.

"This is a dangerous foe to be sure, we must be careful of standing too close together as Tharos has warned us about some of its tactics. Perhaps those with range should stay as far from the others as possible? I can stay close with Narbel and attempt to keep it from bearing down on you." the tiefling says, drawing his fiery chain and whirling it absentmindedly.

[sblock=OOC]
Torment can start in NW corner of the 3rd red square (starting in the tall grass.

P.S. Don't forget the +4 bonus to Init everyone, from combat leader:
Init (1d20+11=22)
[/sblock]

[sblock=Stats]
HP: 94/96; Surges: 9/11; AP: 1/1; Item uses: 2/2
AC: 25; F: 25; R: 22; W: 26
Speed: 8; Resistances: 5 Ranged, 11 Fire
[/sblock]

[sblock=Powers Remaining]

Encounter:
Guarding Strike
Infernal Wrath