• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Knightfall's "Humanoids + Templates = Fun" Thread (Retired)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
And in homage to the lupin of Mystara, my version of the lupin, athropomorphic style. Enjoy! - KF72

Note: This version of the lupin, as well as my version of the rakasta are for my World of Kulan campaign setting. These new races will replace what I've previously designed for those two races, with some more modifications. The badder, while named in homage to the Gamma World race of the same name, is goign to be a race for my Time of Ages campaign setting (steampunk).

Lupin (of Kulan)
Medium-Size Monstrous Humanoid (Lupine)
Hit Dice: 2d8+4 (13 hp)
Initiative: +2 (Dex)
Speed: 40 ft.
AC: 14 (+2 Dex, +2 natural)
Attacks: Bite +4 melee; or by weapon +3 melee; or by weapon +4 ranged
Damage: Bite 1d6+1; or by weapon
Face/Reach: 5 ft. / 5 ft.
Special Attacks: Blind-fight (feat), trip
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., detect invisible foes, scent, track (see text), wolfsbane weakness
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +5
Abilities: Str 13 (+1), Dex 15 (+2), Con 15 (+2), Int 11 (+0), Wis 14 (+2), Cha 10 (+0)
Skills: Hide +4, Listen +4, Move Silently +4, Spot +4, Survival +4*
Feats: Desert Dweller, Weapon Finesse (bite) (B)

Climate/Terrain: Triadora – desert, hill, plains, and mountains
Organization: Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually neutral good
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +3

Lupins are humanoids, with dog-like heads, native to the continent of Triadora in the Southern Hemisphere of Kulan. They live as isolated individuals and never gather as packs. However, they do mate for life and can often be found living in mated pairs while raising children. At all other times, these mates wander Triadora alone. Why the lupins of Kulan are so individualistic is unknown, as when they meet during their travels they greet each other as long time friends. Even if they have never met before.

While lupin fur is very short, some tend to shave their entire body to keep from overheating under the hot sun of Triadora. They also tend to dress in long silk robes and almost always cover their heads while traveling (as per traditional Arabian clothing). Lupins stand roughly five to six feet in height.

Lupins speak their own racial language.

Combat
Lupins are solitary by nature and, while usually friendly, are often prone to being suspicious of strangers. Thus, they tend to attack first and question opponents second. Rarely do they attack to kill, however, unless they are sure their opponents are evil.

Wolfsbane repels lupins. The substance is even more poisonous to them than it is to humans. Wolfsbane ingested by a lupin acts as a poison [a failed Fortitude saving throw (DC 15) indicates death, while success indicates a loss of 20 hit points].

Fortunately, the keen senses of a lupin nearly always alert it in time to avoid ingesting the substance. If wolfsbane is somehow injected into a lupin's bloodstream, it has the following effect – a failed Fortitude saving throw (DC 18) causes a 50% drop in all ability scores for 1d3 days.

Bonus Feats (Ex): Lupin characters automatically gain the Blind-Fight Feat at 1st level and can use the Tracking feat untrained at half their normal wisdom.

Detect Invisible Foes (Ex): When confronted with invisible creatures, a lupin receives a +4 bonus to any saving throws made for detection. A lupin automatically gets a Will saving throw (with the bonus) when an invisible creature approaches within 10 feet and during every round the invisible being remains that close. The lupin does not automatically know where the invisible creature is, just that it is close by; locating it still requires other clues. Lupins can also use this ability to detect the presence of ethereal creatures, such as ghosts, phase spiders, or someone wearing plate mail of etherealness. They recognize the difference between things ethereal and those simply invisible but gain no special attack or defense capabilities against ethereal beings.

Scent (Ex): A lupin can detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes, and track by sense of smell. Range is 30 ft. If upwind, the range increases to 60 ft.; if downwind, it drops to 15 ft.

Because of their keen senses, lupins must make an additional Fortitude saving throw (DC 15) against attacks based on odor (such as those made by ghasts or stinking cloud spells) or sound (such as a banshee's wail or a harpy's song) beyond any save normally required.

Trip (Ex): A lupin that hits with its bite attack can attempt to trip the opponent as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the lupin.

Skills: *A lupin receives a +4 racial bonus to Survival checks when tracking by scent. Lupins also have a +2 bonus to the Listen skill (which they must still acquire normally).

Lupin Society
All lupins love to travel and have been spotted as far away as Janardun and Kanpur. While they haven’t any particular bent towards sailing like the Sons of the Horn or the Xanth, they do love the senses of the sea, from a more aesthetic point of view.

It is unknown where this race of lupin came from, as they are not native to Kulan and their race has never heard of Mystara or the lupins there. However, many of them have sought a way to visit that world to see if they are indeed the same race as Mystaran lupin

Lupin Characters
A lupins favored class is ranger. They also tend to be become bards, psions, and rarely sorcerers. Lupins often become multiclassed ranger/clerics, ranger/rogues, or ranger/druids.

Lupin clerics may worship any of the Other Gods of Triadora but most often pick Kahal or Kasht as their patron. Cleric of Kahal may choose any two of the following domains: Animal, Chaos, and Travel. Clerics of Kasht may choose any two of the following domains: Good, Healing, and Protection.

Last edited:

Devon

First Post
Here is my offering to the forum: a hobgoblin, to which has been applied the Amorphous template from Silverthorne Games' "Book of Templates."

- Devon

Mallegoblin
Medium-Size Humanoid (Goblinoid)
Hit Dice: 1d8+1 (5 hp)
Initiative: +1 (Dex)
Speed: 30 ft.
AC: 13 (+1 Dex, +2 leather)
Attacks: Shortsword +1 melee; or javelin +2 ranged
Damage: Shortsword 1d6; or javelin 1d6
Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Atacks: Stretch
Special Qualities: Shapelessness, immunities, damage reduction 15/+3, no discernable anatomy, darkvision 60 ft.
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +0
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 13, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Disguise +15, Hide +16, Listen +3, Move Silently +3, Spot +3
Feats: Alertness
Climate/Terrain: Temperate and warm land and underground
Organization: Solitary or gang (4-9)
Challenge Rating: 4
Alignment: Usually lawful evil

Mallegoblins are mutant goblinoids which have been cultivated by evil spellcasters to enhance their mutability, hoping to make of them great assassins and infiltrators. They have proven capable of breaking into secured locations with consistent effectiveness.

A mallegoblin appears to be a doughy, beige hobgoblin, with brown warts and freckles. They tend to have bright blue eyes.

Mallegoblins speak Goblin and Common.

Combat
Shapelessness (Ex): As a standard action, a mallegoblin can change into a shapeless form. In this formless state, it can squeeze through openings of incredibly small size (as little as 1 inch in diameter), move along small fissures, ooze under doors, pour themselves into containers of their size or larger, and perform other similar feats -- the mallegoblin retains vague, distorted hints of its original appearance. Movement in this formless state is reduced to 10 feet. Another full-round action is required to regain the mallegoblin?s original shape.

Stretch (Ex): Once every 1d4+1 rounds, as a move-equivalent action, a mallegoblin can increase its natural reach by 5 feet by stretching its arms or legs in combat. The mallegoblin can maintain this for a number of rounds equal to 1 + it's Constitution modifier (minimum 2 rounds).

Immunities (Ex): The mallegoblin is immune to damage from all bludgeoning weapons, regardless of enchantment, and takes no damage from any fall of 100 feet or less. For falls in excess of 100 feet, treat the fall as if it were 100 feet shorter to determine damage.

Damage Reduction (Ex): Due to their unique shape, a mallegoblin takes less damage from weapons of all types, equivalent to damage reduction 15/+3.

No Discernible Anatomy (Ex): The mallegoblin, lacking a well-defined anatomical structure, is not subject to critical hits or flanking.

Skills: Mallegoblins receive a +4 racial bonus to Move Silently checks. Due to their amorphous nature, they also receive a competence bonus of +15 to all Hide and Disguise checks.

Mallegoblin Characters
A mallegoblin's favored class is rogue. It's Level Adjustment is +3.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
While dinosaurs are beasts in 3e, they will (likely) be animals in 3.5e. Thus, here's an anthropomorphic raptor, which is an important race in my Time of Ages campaign setting. I've had the concept for a while but this is first chance I've had to stat them out. (My official Time of Ages version will include a full writeup and have spell-like abilities.) - KF72

Anthropomorphic Deinonychus (Trooda)
Medium-Size Monstrous Humanoid (Saurian)
Hit Dice: 2d8+2 (11 hp)
Initiative: +3 (Dex)
Speed: 50 ft.
AC: 16 (+3 Dex, +3 natural)
Attacks: Rake +5 melee, 2 claws +3 melee, bite +3 melee; or by weapon +3 melee, or by weapon +5 ranged
Damage: Rake 2d4, claw 1d2, bite 1d6; or by weapon
Face/Reach: 5 ft. / 5 ft.
Special Qualities: Scent
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +6, Will +5
Abilities: Str 11 (+0), Dex 17 (+3), Con 13 (+1), Int 11 (+0), Wis 14 (+2), Cha 14 (+2)
Skills: Hide +5, Jump +4, Listen +4, Spot +4, Survival +4
Feats: Grass Trekker (B/SS), Multiattack, Weapon Finesse (rake, claw, bite) (B)
Climate/Terrain: Warm forest, hill, plains, and marsh
Organization: Solitary, pair, or family (3-6)
Challenge Rating: 3
Alignment: Often lawful neutral
Level Adjustment: +1

Scent (Ex): A trooda can detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes, and track by sense of smell. Range is 30 ft. If upwind, the range increases to 60 ft.; if downwind, it drops to 15 ft.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Well, that's it for me today. Hand is definitely feeling better, although cut and pasting from the SRD helps reduce the typing by a whole bunch.

Cheers!

Robert B., a.k.a. Knightfall1972

Krishnath

First Post
Actually Dinosaurs *Will* be animals in 3.5 as they did away with the beast type, and dinos sure as heck aren't magical :p Hmm... perhaps I should write down an Anthropomorphic Triceratops (bonus points if you can tell be from which comic the Anthropomorphic Triceratops is from :D)

Later,

Ferret

Explorer
Spider man...But he was a rhino...

More will come, using the climate templates, and possible more, who knows.

And on the sade coony things, yeah I realised that this was for humanoids, However I thoguht it would be cool to post them here with all the other templated creatures.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Ferret said:
And on the sade coony things, yeah I realised that this was for humanoids, However I thoguht it would be cool to post them here with all the other templated creatures.

Ferret, where'd you get the initial raccoon stats from? Did you create them, find them online or in a reference? (I have this urge to create an anthropomorphic raccoon race after seeing your tempalted raccoons.)

Later,

KF72

Krishnath

First Post
BZZZZTTT!!!! Wrong! Spiderman it isn't. it's not even marvel. In fact it was one of the first alternative comics to become wildly popular, so popular in fact that they made a TV-show, six or so console games, and no less than *THREE* Movies...(with a fourth currently in movie limbo) :p

Also the alleged 'climate template' on blacksways site is not a template at all. Look through it thoroughly and you will see the the truth for what it is. Just a gamer trying to take credit for the creative process that all DM's go though when creating subspecies. (Baring in mind that we are talking about the same 'template' of course.)

Later,

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads