Knocking Godzilla Prone

Ashenboychild

First Post
Hammerhead said:
Judo, baby. :)

Seriously, the Prone condition doesn't necessarily mean "flat on its back." It's why you can inflict the Prone condition on creatures like Oozes.

Well, if you want to be technical, the condition is prone, not supline, so they should be knocked face-to-the-ground.

Might use that as a slippery slope argument for justifying the 'prone-like-conditions'

NB- actually agreeing with quoted post

vagabundo

Adventurer
DND only works well, in my mind, with small/medium/large creatures of mostly humanoid origin.

Anything else and your looking at edge cases and I'd prefer not nerf the power and come up with something creative that covers the creature.

Getting the players involved is a great idea, as long as the game doesn't get derailed by the issue. But then those derailments are sometimes the most memorable part (new memes)... :D

Bold or Stupid

First Post
I'd say that an effect that would knock an ooze prone would instead wobble it so much it has a hard time moving or defending. Like wobbling a big jelly hard.

Folly

First Post
Bold or Stupid said:
I'd say that an effect that would knock an ooze prone would instead wobble it so much it has a hard time moving or defending. Like wobbling a big jelly hard.

Anyone else get a mental picture of Homer Simpson from the episode with the waves going his belly.

TheGogmagog

First Post
Felon said:
There are a lot of powers in the PHB--and I mean a lot--that have the effect of knocking the target prone if the attack hits.

I also notice these powers have no restrictions about the type of target that can be toppled. Is there any broad rule that protects big creatures from being knocked over (other than the attack in question missing, of course)?
I seem to recall in the "actions in combat" section there was a restriction by size. That might have just been for bull rush limiting it to one size category larger than you.

Keltheos

First Post
frankthedm said:
The "You’re lying on the ground." part of the prone condition says otherwise IMHO.

Wouldn't an ooze already be lying on the ground? It is oozing on the ground, isn't it?

Shouldn't it then have a perpetual prone condition?

Maximillian

First Post
Eldorian said:
Can you, with a straight face, tell me that the human skeleton, indeed, the humanoid form, does not have any inherent weak spots? Could not the rogue target these?

No, in fact, I couldn't. I heartily approve of that change. And while I don't necessarily approve of knocking jellies prone, I think that the change in philosophy provoked both of those changes. Hence, undead have constitution scores and warforged can be put to sleep.

Incenjucar

Legend
Saitou said:
Now imagine that same Ooze with an engulfed PC victim.

They actually had an episode like that.

Homer as The Blob.

--

Prone oozes are easy to explain; they have oriented themselves in a certain manner, and you disorient them. It's like taking a bunch of oil and water and flipping it over. It takes awhile for it to settle back into the correct layers.

Korgoth

First Post
Were I to DM 4E, I'd probably make more on-the-spot calls than in OD&D.

"I knock the Ooze prone."
"Autofail."

"I knock Gojira prone."
"Autofail."

"I push the Tarrasque back a square."
"Autofail."

"I make the giant eagle slip and fall with my icy terrain."
"Autofail."

It's a new concept in play experience delivery: Exception-based DMing.

Remove ads