D&D General Kobold Press Going Down a Dark Road

Oofta

Legend
It certainly was for me in the TSR days, and many other people I knew. 3.0 forward became the age of "new is always better".
So back in the 20th century? I didn't see it even then, but you're also talking about games played when the majority of the people actually played the game were at best in preschool. Guess I've just never been someone to cling to the past and think that everything after I graduated from high school is crap whether that's music or games.

We've had 5E for a decade now, it's due for a minor overhaul and I don't have an issue with that. If the 2024 edition changes work for me I'll buy it. If not, I'll ignore it.

So back in the 20th century?
why... why are you trying to trigger my midlife crisis?? :);)
I didn't see it even then, but you're also talking about games played when the majority of the people actually played the game were at best in preschool. Guess I've just never been someone to cling to the past and think that everything after I graduated from high school is crap whether that's music or games.
There was in 97 a guy who used to have a 2e homebrew 'updated' monk that I got to play.
right around 2000ish right before our first trial run at 3e I had a friend who was using the splat book add ons like spells and power in a 1e game too.

Remathilis

Legend
You shouldn't have to convert anything if its still the same edition.
I don't believe I said they were. But they are compatible. Both BF and 1D are moving the level of which you get your subclass feature, but they still give you a subclass features. It's not like trying to give my PC a kit, prestige class, or paragon path.
M

Reef

Hero
It certainly was for me in the TSR days, and many other people I knew. 3.0 forward became the age of "new is always better".
3e certainly generated a vast amount of interest because of its newness. It was the first time D&D got torn down to bedrock and rebuilt from scratch. And it came at a time when a lot of us who started as kids had drifted away due to becoming adults and getting jobs, etc.

But I still deny it was the era of “new is always better”. If that was true, the 3e era wouldn’t have spawned the huge OSR movement it did, made possible by the OGL. I mean, isn’t that the whole reason we all fought to make sure the OGL didn’t get cancelled? Because we don’t all subscribe to “new is always better”, and wanted options?

New is not always better. But neither is it automatically worse. And this is coming from an old man who would happily wind the clock back a few decades on a whole lot of things…heh.

Clint_L

Hero
Many people seem to have missed my point, so I'll attempt to be as clear and factual as possible.

In the case of both the 4e and 5e core books, WotC has revised them via errata. Any currently published hard copy you buy of the 5e PHB or DMG has different content than the 2014 versions (and the Beyond versions continue to be revised regardless of when you purchased them) , and any pdf of the 4e core books you buy will be of the heavily revised versions, not of the original.*

It is a fact that the original 4e and 5e core books are the only ones WotC has ceased to make available.

And yes, I have copies, but the new friends I will want to have play original 5.0 with me 5 or 10 years from now will not have access to those copies.

 That is the problem. New players will be able to buy perpetually available original OD&D, 1e, 2e, 3.0, and 3.5 (as they should), but they will not be able to buy original 4e or 5e, which hampers the ability of players who prefer those two editions to play them, because they can't get new books for their new players.

I cannot see anything in these statements that is not simply factual (other than my prediction based on treatment of 4e that WotC will not in the future decide to offer 2014 5e pdfs).

Now obviously, if one personally isn't interested in those versions, this won't matter to them, just like it probably didn't matter when we couldn't buy pdfs of any of those other versions. But I would like it if we could all pull together in support of others' ability to continue to purchase the copies of their preferred editions that will allow them to introduce new players to them.

*Let me here clarify that it is not the nature of the changes (some of which were already how I ran things, or clarifications that seemed superfluous but maybe are helpful for new players, or (in the case of 4e) mechanical changes that I'd be onboard with), but the fact of them that I'm criticizing.
Okay...so you standard for compatibility seems to be no changes. Whatsoever. Even fixing errant text. All right, if your standards are that exacting, then you might have a problem. But not just with D&D.

I think it is fair to say that this is not a concern for most people.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
3e certainly generated a vast amount of interest because of its newness. It was the first time D&D got torn down to bedrock and rebuilt from scratch. And it came at a time when a lot of us who started as kids had drifted away due to becoming adults and getting jobs, etc.

But I still deny it was the era of “new is always better”. If that was true, the 3e era wouldn’t have spawned the huge OSR movement it did, made possible by the OGL. I mean, isn’t that the whole reason we all fought to make sure the OGL didn’t get cancelled? Because we don’t all subscribe to “new is always better”, and wanted options?

New is not always better. But neither is it automatically worse. And this is coming from an old man who would happily wind the clock back a few decades on a whole lot of things…heh.
I love the OSR (see my handle). And I don't have a problem with all new things (again, see my handle). But the bulk of the industry (in particular the D&D community) began riding the leading edge of WotC's wave as soon as 3e was released, and they never really stopped. That doesn't mean people don't want other options (hence the pushback against the OGL issue), but it does mean that most of the revenue and the attention has remained focused on whatever new hat WotC has added to their Barbie doll most recently, and those other options matter in principle to a lot of folks more than they do in practice.

Remove ads