Black Flag [KOBOLD PRESS] Tales of the Valiant KS is Live!

Marc Radle

Legend
Passed 8000 backers.

Yep!
$958,732 pledged so far
8,106 backers
4 days to go!!
Final week.jpg

Retreater

Legend
I've been following the promotion (albeit with waning interest) since the project announcement in the early days of the OGL Crisis. I'm still on the fence. I haven't seen anything that has convinced me that TotV has really addressed what I dislike about 5e - and if those issues aren't cleared up, I shouldn't bother backing this Kickstarter - since it will sit on my bookshelf in the same way Level Up has.

I severely dislike 5e for the following reasons:
  • lack of meaningful tactical decisions
  • "dead" levels
  • boring monster design
  • pathetic encounter creation guidelines
  • bad official adventures
  • no (or "broken") magic item economy
  • easily overpowered PCs

Is there a place I can go to get more information to see if TotV is rectifying these issues? What role does it play when compared to 2024 D&D and Level Up?

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I've been following the promotion (albeit with waning interest) since the project announcement in the early days of the OGL Crisis. I'm still on the fence. I haven't seen anything that has convinced me that TotV has really addressed what I dislike about 5e - and if those issues aren't cleared up, I shouldn't bother backing this Kickstarter - since it will sit on my bookshelf in the same way Level Up has.

• "dead" levels
  • boring monster design
  • easily overpowered PCs

Is there a place I can go to get more information to see if TotV is rectifying these issues? What role does it play when compared to 2024 D&D and Level Up?
I think the early monster preview is still out there. Every monster seems to get a unique thing, and these are actually interesting monsters.

Marc Radle

Legend
I'm still on the fence. I haven't seen anything that has convinced me that TotV has really addressed what I dislike about 5e - and if those issues aren't cleared up, I shouldn't bother backing this Kickstarter - since it will sit on my bookshelf in the same way Level Up has.

• "dead" levels
  • boring monster design
  • easily overpowered PCs

Hey there Retreater - just curious, have you read any Kolbold Press books? You can check out Tome of Heroes, Tome of Beasts 3, and Tome of Beasts 1 (2023) for an idea of our general class and monster design and to get a sense of our more recent design directions

To your specific points, Kobold Press monsters definitely aren’t boring (our Tome of Beasts books are very popular!), and our published adventures are quite well-received (and in my completely unbiased opinion, pretty darn awesome :) )

As for the dead levels, that’s something that is absolutely being addressed in the class design, as is better class balance.

A rather meaty and helpful encounter creation section will absolutely be included in the Monster Vault book!

Things like more meaningful tactical decisions are also absolutely going to be incorporated into Tales of the Valiant!

For examples and more info on ToV, please visit the Tales of the Valiant website and check out the the free 64-page Tales of the Valiant Preview PDF to see lineages and heritages, 4 classes, 8 subclasses, the spellcasting rules, and 8 monster previews.

There are also publicly available design diaries that have some excellent insight, particularly the most recent:
Valiant Design Diary #6 Creatures
Valiant Design Diary #5 Compatibility
Valiant Design Diary #4 Preview

Hope that helps!

Remove ads