D&D 5E Krynn's Free Feats: setting-specific or the future of the game?

What's the future of free feats at levels 1 and 4?

• It's setting-specific

Votes: 17 13.5%
  • It's in 5.5 for sure

Votes: 98 77.8%
  • It's something else

Votes: 11 8.7%

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I'd also like subclasses to all start at level 1, the different levels that classes gain their subclasses is probably my biggest gripe with the edition.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Eww no. Leave them how they are and make magic item creation and pricing an optional rule. Like in an expansion, hidden in a corner where very few people can see it. Like those relatives no one talks about with the extra eye and webbed toes.
Nope. Part of the PHB.
Making subclasses at level 1 just makes it "new class" or revives the "kit" idea. Subclasses fit more in the prestige class role without needing to plot out every level to get it. It's fine.
Keeping level 3 subclasses wastes 10% of the game with Level 0.
Keep D&D simple.
Never again!

*Spells above 3rd level do not exist.
*Healing requires you to spend Hit Dice.
*Short Rests only take 5 minutes.
*Players can only be non-Variant Humans.
*Players get two subclasses per class.
*Revivify, Raise Dead, Reincarnation, and Resurrection are banned.
*All hit point totals are halved.
not the same campaign but I have at least tried all of these... (the no variant human thing was my standing rule for 5-6 years that was about that many campaigns)

Keeping level 3 subclasses wastes 10% of the game with Level 0
this is why the warlock chasie is the best... you get 2 subclasses you can mix and match. one at 1st level one at 3rd.

imagine if fighters could at 1st level be 'two handed fighter' 'one handed fighter' 'sup dice fighter' 'caster/gish fighter' 'shadow power fighter' 'unarmed fighter' then at level 3 more flavorful options would be knight, duelist, warblade, sword master

then you could be a simple 1 handed fighter knight a simple 1 handed fighter swordmaster ect ect
i have 6 level 1 choices and 4 level 3 choices so over 100 combos

Vaalingrade

Legend
in 4e there were feats for different weapons, and some at wills (I think and encounters) that did more if you had a type of weapon... mix that with weapons having more properties and you could (without going overboard) have some good options
Oh, I know.

That all died for 'simple', while spells got long, rambling natural language descriptors that tees up fights over what the mean.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I would really hate the return of prestige classes, but I would like subclasses to be from 1st level.

And that most of "new" class features are acquired up to level 11, and rest are just improvements/more usage.
I would love to see the return of Prestige Classes, but with a limit of one. The allowed specialization of classes in a way that Subclasses don't.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Sure. Mean something. But not "every noble simply knows I'm awesome" nor "every peasant will bend over backwards to accommodate you". That's some weird mind-control aura stuff right there.
What lol are you serious? Mind control!? Not only that, but the feature doesn’t even say that every noble or peasant will act a certain way, it establishes a norm. It just means that given no particular reason to behave differently, people will behave how their upbringing teaches them to behave toward an aristocrat.
Yeah, exactly. And it's freaking gross. I was born just being better than you. That's some nasty unexamined fantasy we should really not be promoting.
That isn’t what’s happening at all. What is happening is a recognition of the wild privilege that comes with membership in the elite socio-economic class in your society.

The game, especially in the earlier years of 5e, assumes a setting where the social classes are very similar to the European Middle Ages. In such a time, yeah common folk are going to put up with your nonsense more than they would a farmer, and other nobles are going to just accept your nobility, barring prejudice against your origin on some other axis.

Hell, the time and place D&D tries to model in its social politics (for some reason), had laws against anyone without an aristocratic title wearing certain materials and colors, and you could be fine or imprisoned for breaking those rules.

Vaalingrade

Legend
The solution to people complaining about the Noble background affording respect for the station is to earn that respect like nobles did in the day: murdering the crap out of anyone who doesn't show respect and anyone who complains about all the murders. It's not mind control, it's operant conditioning.

Remove ads