D&D 5E Krynn's Free Feats: setting-specific or the future of the game?

What's the future of free feats at levels 1 and 4?

• It's setting-specific

Votes: 17 13.5%
  • It's in 5.5 for sure

Votes: 98 77.8%
  • It's something else

Votes: 11 8.7%

I would love to see the return of Prestige Classes, but with a limit of one. The allowed specialization of classes in a way that Subclasses don't.
I don't even care if the limit is one (But boy would I not complain if it was) as long as they made sense.

back in the dark days of 3 I saw a wizard (that was spec diviner) take a prestige class that was like focused specilist or something to be a better diviner at level 4, and by level 9 (so like 5 levels into that prestige class) become a loremaster for some amount of levels then took a level of arcmage (that you had to be like 14th or 15th level to take) before the game ended... and that still felt natural.

but I NEVER again want to see "I dip into this to add my Int to my AC, and I dip into that to add my Wis to my AC and a dip into this to add my Cha to my ac, and naked except for my ring of prot I have a 27 AC... and I don't care that none of the classes really flow or work togather...cause AC"

I still think a prestige class and epic destiny set of systems for 5e would ahve worked. (and spliting them that way would allow 2 if they limtied 1 each) with all prestige classes basicly being replacement classes from 6th-15th and the epic destinies being replacement classes for 17th-20th

The solution to people complaining about the Noble background affording respect for the station is to earn that respect like nobles did in the day: murdering the crap out of anyone who doesn't show respect and anyone who complains about all the murders. It's not mind control, it's operant conditioning.
i think there is a thread about this...

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I don't even care if the limit is one (But boy would I not complain if it was) as long as they made sense.

back in the dark days of 3 I saw a wizard (that was spec diviner) take a prestige class that was like focused specilist or something to be a better diviner at level 4, and by level 9 (so like 5 levels into that prestige class) become a loremaster for some amount of levels then took a level of arcmage (that you had to be like 14th or 15th level to take) before the game ended... and that still felt natural.
Yeah. I saw that, too. More often, though, I saw a Fighter take some sort of bow specialty, then turn into a knight of some sort, then a brawler or something. I'd personally rather see a limit of 1 and lose out on the former, than have to police prestige classes to avoid the latter.
but I NEVER again want to see "I dip into this to add my Int to my AC, and I dip into that to add my Wis to my AC and a dip into this to add my Cha to my ac, and naked except for my ring of prot I have a 27 AC... and I don't care that none of the classes really flow or work togather...cause AC"
Agreed/
I still think a prestige class and epic destiny set of systems for 5e would ahve worked. (and spliting them that way would allow 2 if they limtied 1 each) with all prestige classes basicly being replacement classes from 6th-15th and the epic destinies being replacement classes for 17th-20th
Yeah. That could work as well.

Yeah. I saw that, too. More often, though, I saw a Fighter take some sort of bow specialty, then turn into a knight of some sort, then a brawler or something. I'd personally rather see a limit of 1 and lose out on the former, than have to police prestige classes to avoid the latter.
that drove me nuts... "Wait are you a knight a sniper or a bar brawler?"

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
that drove me nuts... "Wait are you a knight a sniper or a bar brawler?"
Why does it matter to you?

Why do yall want so badly to police what other people play?

and people who want to have fun with choices and multi functions across all pillars are stuck as spellcasting
Or rogues. Or a bunch of Fighter subclasses, or monks, or some barbarians....so....every single non spellcasting class.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
One of my issues with Feats has been how stale they have been as a la Carte options. My wife's eyes glazed over the first time I tried to explain what they even are, and she was glad when I said she could ignore them, as everyone I game with does.

Using the same technique with flavor like Theros and Ravenloft, though? That's interesting, and creates something people can chew on and digest. Making this a normal part of the game just makes sense.
@doctorbadwolf saw the shock face. For some extra context, my wife is intelligent, literate, educated (MFA), and likes games. My direct experiences match what WotC and D&D Beyond have said about Feat usage being a minority option as is in 5E. But this rule shift really feels right to me, based on Theros, Ravenlot, and Strixhaven. The narrative centering in Background gives a foundation in story, similar to Class and Race already grounding rules material, that will work for more players compared to "choose which minor numeric bonus you want, no takesybacksies".

Why does it matter to you?
it depends on the you...
if you mean me the player to there right...very little.
if you mean me the DM... cause I need to know what in the heck they are doing.
Why do yall want so badly to police what other people play?
again as a player I (mostly*) don't. As a DM i am pretty fair and open about working with people who are willing to work with me... but you best have SOME answer other then "the cool powers" or "I read an Op board" or else we will need to discus the game and how it flows (normally a group effort all players)
Or rogues.
okay... they get expertise and skill mastery (both great starts) how do they compare to move earth, shape water, charm person, identify, and knock?
Or a bunch of Fighter subclasses
but only the ones that are called out as magic... and even then as cool as you are, casters just can out do you
, or monks.
like rogue they get close... let me coppy and paste how do they compare to move earth, shape water, charm person, identify, and knock?
, or some barbarians....so....every single non spellcasting class.
nope... what does a barbarian bring to table?

Jer

Legend
Supporter
@doctorbadwolf saw the shock face. For some extra context, my wife is intelligent, literate, educated (MFA), and likes games. My direct experiences match what WotC and D&D Beyond have said about Feat usage being a minority option as is in 5E. But this rule shift really feels right to me, based on Theros, Ravenlot, and Strixhaven. The narrative centering in Background gives a foundation in story, similar to Class and Race already grounding rules material, that will work for more players compared to "choose which minor numeric bonus you want, no takesybacksies".
One of the things I consider a "hidden strength" of 5e for why it's so popular is the lack of minutia choices that players have to make when they make a character. Pick a race, pick a class, pick a background, arrange your stat array/die rolls according to the advice for your class, mark the skills you get and you're basically done except for a couple of classes that make you take your subclass at first level and choice of spells.

I know it seems counterintuitive to folks who really want to have maximal customization options from level 1 for their characters, but the casual players I play with who basically had me build their characters for them in 3e and 4e make 5e characters for themselves with no issues. Making all of the choices "big picture" choices definitely makes character creation and advancement easier for those folks.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
One of the things I consider a "hidden strength" of 5e for why it's so popular is the lack of minutia choices that players have to make when they make a character. Pick a race, pick a class, pick a background, arrange your stat array/die rolls according to the advice for your class, mark the skills you get and you're basically done except for a couple of classes that make you take your subclass at first level and choice of spells.

I know it seems counterintuitive to folks who really want to have maximal customization options from level 1 for their characters, but the casual players I play with who basically had me build their characters for them in 3e and 4e make 5e characters for themselves with no issues. Making all of the choices "big picture" choices definitely makes character creation and advancement easier for those folks.
Exactly my experience! Though options are nice, and the new Background scheme elegantly allows for both, at the same time. Win/win.

Remove ads