Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [OOC]

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Well, now Tim has a dilemma. He took out the bigger threat (the renegade leader) but now there is Mani to consider; Mani is a threat of great magnitude as well, even while bound, as he has demonstrated. Tim told Mani that a betrayal would mean his death at Tim's hand. He now intends to honor that vow. But he is concerned that the battle is eminently winnable, especially if their morale breaks. He is wondering if he still shouldn't just turn him over to the guards. At the very least, Tim plans to render the little b@st@ard unconcious. What do you guys think? I'm sitting on the fence now, 40% toward mercy, 60% toward execution.

Please chime in. 😃

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Coldly from mechanical perspective, we should've killed him earlier.

In-game, with good characters and 'helpless' captive...KILL IT! :D
He killed one of us. If he only defended himself, I'd say spare him, but he didn't.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Either way works. But considering how important honour is to Tim, I'd imagine he will keep his promise regardless of other consequences.

But then, Tim didn't specify when he would kill Mani himself. You could decide to finish the battle first, then in true paladin fashion make a big public execution (or insist to the guards that he should be the one to play executioner).

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
He's not a Paladin, just a Knight. He's LN, but has good / honorable tendencies, i.e., he tempers his enforcement of the law with compassion, while still staying within the spirit of the law. Think of what Gus McCrae said in Lonesome Dove: "You know how it works Jake, you ride with an outlaw, you die with an outlaw. I'm sorry you crossed the line."

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
I told him that if he resisted, it would mean his death. And Tim implied that it would be he himself doing the "painting," although he did not say for certain that it wouldn't be carried out by some one other than himself.

D8FE878C-8205-4DB4-9BE2-C2E265AC5355.png

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I would say do what you feel you must. Just remember that you are acting as agents of The Five. More than likely they would pay to have Mani raised if your PCs feel the need to kill him to keep him from hurting others. However, they might make the PCs pay that cost, if they feel your characters acted rashly.

Mani is what he is in the end. He is a killer and gets joy from seeing death and blood. While the first death he caused was about self-preservation, his attack on Odhran was (more than likely) an impulse of his unstable nature. Yes, he might be trying to provoke Big Tim or Breva to end him quickly, or he could just be crazy and evil.

Of course, in a world with spells like raise dead and resurrection, Odhran can be brought back to life if his soul is willing. If his family can't afford it, the commanders of the Regulars might pay for it and extend his time in the guard until the money is paid back. That assumes, of course, he isn't a career man. If he is and is brought back to life, someone else in his family might have to become a new recruit until the money is paid back.

Remember that most of the Bluffside guards (especially the Elite) assigned to the Old City district are the sons and daughters of noble families or merchant houses. There are some from the New City district too but most of those guards are assigned to New City or the Temple District.

In the heat of the moment, the PCs might not care about the facts. I won't lose much about the ongoing story if Mani dies.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
I think I will just knock him out, then. That will be easy enough to do with him bound. I tend to forget about things like that (not only raise dead, but the fact that these noble families can readily afford it) but I am SURE that Tim wouldn't; he is from a noble family, and I am sure that he probably knows of nobles in Vrocia who cheated death via the use of their family's fortune.

Remove ads