Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [OOC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
You also know that bringing the Iridescent Zunsum by itself to the portal won't open it. You'll need to speak a key phrase that was linked to the portal by who- or whatever created it. You have a few ideas but speaking the wrong phrase could be, painful.

There are fifteen phrases that might work, seven of them that will do damage if spoken incorrectly (or are simply wrong), and four of them that will kill the speaker outright, if wrong. There five of them you can try without having to worry about dying or being severely damaged.

You can come up with those phrases, if you like.

I'll be back later on today.

Cheers! :D

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
I hope I got at least something right. If I got everything, I want level immediately :p
I'll think of the phrases tomorrow after my birthday party

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
So, waiting for more first posts before I reply again. FYI, I'm a bit sick right now (either cold or allergies), so you don't need to put up anything immediately. Heading off to bed to get some much needed sleep. :sleep:

I might check in later on tonight, but tomorrow is more likely.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
OOC: Tuck Gather Information and Knowledge local:
1D20+14 = [10]+14 = 24
1D20+6 = [6]+6 = 12

I don’t think Favored Enemy helps, but who knows: +2 on Royalists and +4 on Rising Swords.

Btw, I finished my character. Only need to make the stats for the riding dog animal companion.
Well, Tuck knows less than the loremaster when it comes to Knowledge (Local), but his Gather Information gained him more from the street rumors. Some of it relates to the renegade and some of it doesn't.

Note that when it comes to Knowledge (local), Tuck only knew about the past history of Old City, which isn't too hard to discover (the local libraries are filled with local history books). He didn't know about Phelix's attack on Big Tim and Relgar in the Golden Lantern since kobolds aren't usually regular patrons there. (Most of the longstanding kobold families in Bluffside are of lower or middle class in Bluffside and live in either New City or in one of the flophouses in the Undercity. There are some that live simple monastic lives in the Temple District too.) Tuck also hadn't heard about Sylemis' ailment, but he has heard of the dragori druid. He's even met him and likes him.

He's heard all the same Gather Information Rumors/Tales noted in this post, as well as the following additions:
First, Tuck is fairly certain that the rumor about Phelix walking on the walls on Old City is false. It's a wild story going around the district's taverns and inns. It just sounds so ridiculous that people think it's true.

He's heard there might be a connection between the renegade and a wax shop called The Crossed Candles. The Elite have it staked out but haven't stormed the place yet, as there isn't any real proof, just rumors. The main reason that the place is under suspicion is due to the fact the Bluffside Regulars have long suspected the shop is a front for a foreign thieves' guild. Also, the owner just happens to be named Waldo Barclay Winton. Since Waldo and his shop has been around longer than the nickname that Big Tim & Relgar gave Phelix, it likely is just a coincidence.

He's heard that there are new unknown members of the Bluffside Elite patrolling the Gardens at night, which is weird since there haven't been any new recruits assigned to the Gardens only longstanding members. Could they be fakes working for Phelix? and if so, how the hell are they avoiding the true guards who swear they've never seen any fakes? Could some or all of the Elites assigned to the Gardens be in Phelix's pocket.

There is an evil troll living underneath the Gardens and it was Phelix who lured it there with promises of esy food in the form of local lovers who use the Gardens at night. There are reports that a few young lovers have disappeared in the Gardens but some think they were murdered by the Old City Killer. Others insist it is the troll and that Phelix is going to unleash even more monsters on the district. The Elites have checked the storm drains and sewers under the Gardens and district but haven't seen anything except the occasional dire rat.

Here are some Old City rumors he learned that weren't about Phelix:
First, he knows that the event with Carl I actually happened, because he just happened to be on the street when it occurred. :)

Also, he doubts the local serial killer is in league with a foreign power, but you never know. The killer is leaving bodies all across Old City with two new killings last night. The Old City citizens are very afraid to go out at night. The number of high society events has dropped dramatically, as a result.

Tuck also knows that Master Rosenberg isn't going to move his inn. The cost would be too much (and risky). However, he is in a food fight with a rival named Sabela Abreu who runs a local establishment called the Delicate Delight Eatery. The two of them cannot stand each other, and it's no secret that Sabela wants to take over the Golden Lantern. Master Rosenberg's reply to that is "over my dead body, she will ever own this place."

Rumors abound that before his death, Horatio Hollingsworth discovered a major archaeological find somewhere near Bluffside (but not in the ruins). If so, no one else knew anything about the find. Could that be why his wife murdered him, if she did? (Tuck has heard wild speculation that Lady Damania might have been seen in the Undercity but mostly from drunkards.)

Gal Na Mar Khan, the owner of the Silver Wyrm is hosting a foreign dignitary from the east who is trying to establish trade relations with Bluffside. Some believe this man comes all the way from the region known as the Horse Lands and represents a city-state named Cemphar north of the Red Sand Wastes. If so, he's come a long way. His name is not known.

Rumor has it that the handful of gnome noble families in Old City feel like they're being slighted by the human noble families of the district since so many of their New City cousins, with means, have been forced to relocate to the posh district. Uppity human nobles are not happy about more smelly gnomes running around Old City, not to mention the dwarves and elves. Sometimes humans can be such donkey butts!

A secret passageway that was originally discovered by Bluffside's original ruler, Jarmine the Wise, 200 years ago, has been rediscovered. The Five are trying to keep it a secret while trying to recruit young adventurers to explore it to see if there are any threats to be faced or treasure to be claimed. Those that sign up only get 5% of what they find, but they are promised free healing and even raise dead spells if they discover something.

One of the judges of the Tribunal is being blackmailed. It's likely related to a major court case being debated; the judge being blackmailed, Delphine Vincent, has the tie-breaking vote. She is refusing the help of the Bluffside Regulars. She hasn't left her home in over a week.

Rumors from the rest of Bluffside:
Military District
Tuck knows very little about what's going on in this district. The Bluffside Regulars are keeping information close to the vest and the Elites at the gate to the district won't talk at all. He was able to get in, but no one would tell him anything real. Mainly, the guards are worried about being stretched thin i the city, but that's hardly a secret. :sneaky:

Mining District
Tuck is rarely welcome in the mining district, as it is filled with dwarves and gnomes who don't like kobolds. The halflings and humans working there like him as much as the next visitor, which isn't usually very welcoming, at first. Plus, getting into the district is easier than getting out. Too many checks and rechecks. Very annoying.

Still, he did hear while waiting at the main gate that the leader of Post 17 of of the Bluffside Regulars, Captain Soro, is under investigation for corruption. He's believed to be in the pocket of some traders from another city, and that he's stealing raw adamantine ore for them.

New City
Since the disaster in the district, there are so many rumors circulating about New City that it's nearly impossible to tell the chaff from the wheat. Tuck does know that the martial law edict in the district is starting to piss off the locals.

They are tired of being told to go home at night and can't stand the new Captain of the Dungeon, Chalsarda Shantilayla. The stubbon nevae elf is becoming public enemy number one in New City due to her lack of manners and tolerance, which just makes her crack down on the district even more.

She's been egged more than once by the youngsters of New city, and they always get away. No one helps her. If it was up to them, she'd be ostracized from the city. That's not likely to happen since she's a favorite of Lord Revel Varian, the new interim lord mayor.

It looks like Bay Divers isn't going to reopen anytime soon. The specialty shop and local hangout for cliff divers was completely destroyed during the disaster in New City and Delia can't seem to find a backer to help reopen her 'home'. Some fear she might leave the city and relocate to Scopula.

Temple District
Clerics and cultists love to talk — too much, in fact. And they usually want to talk about their faith and why Tuck should convert, blah, blah, blah. Once you ask them about non-religious rumors, they tend to look at you strange and ask why you are prying into people's personal lives.

However, the main exception are faithful among The Exploratory. The wanders of The Traveler are always up for a good chat, although they mainly want to talk about events outside the city, such as news of traveler approaching the city from a distant land who wants to take up residence at the temple at make it more traditional. The free-wheeling regulars don't like that idea at all.

A fellow urban ranger, Vesper Astaroth, also told Tuck that powerful female paladin from outside Bluffside was turned away at the gates to the Castle of Purification (the main temple of The Purifier). She is now trying to set up an opposing temple dedicated to the female aspect of the Purifier known as the Maiden of Justice. She is actively seeking female recruits in the district.

He also heard a wild rumor about the temple of the ancients, Sem La Vah Revived, that the archaeologist Cephalous was secretly responsible for the attack on the diggers in Sem La Vah that claimed the life of Lady Thistle Ravenwood and a young unnamed noble who likes to dig as his hobby. If true, this means Cephalous is in league with the dark reptilians that killed the diggers.

The Undercity and Sordadon
Tuck blends in well with the denizens of the Undercity, although there are a lot of gnomes working and living in the underground part of Bluffside. The steam gnomes are more accepting of him, and Chief Engineer Windel Orm of the Great winding Room told Tuck about that the mechanical workings of the Cavern Harbor are in danger of failing. The waterwheel needs some major repairs or everything will grind to a halt!

He recently heard a wild rumor that one of the gelatinous oozes of the Cube Pits has escaped into the sewers and is now feeding on sewer workers instead of the sewer that normally dumps into the cubes.

The local shop known as Blunt & Blade in the Cavern Harbor of Undercity is closed for business, as its owners Benak Breckon and Delik Deepfarer are in debt up to their foreheads. It's believed they own the local thieves' guild and are on the run from leg-breakers. Tuck did noticed the closed sign up the last time he walked past.

Tuck hasn't been out to Sordadon much recently, but the last time he was out there, he did hear that someone very dangerous recently escaped from the Citadel of Phenbras and that Commander Ethan Steelhawke is personally leading the manhunt for someone who makes Phelix look like a choirboy. The Bluffside Regulars out on the floating dock-city are being put to the task by their commander and are even geting divers to look through the canals.

Wizard District
Since Tuck is not a wizard, he hasn't been able to learn anything relevant about the inner workings of the Wizard District. Wizards do not talk to kobolds who aren't wizard. Most of what Tuck has heard is the same old superstitions from non-wizards like the House of Necromancy is in league with the undead and the House of Conjuration has let loose a demon in the district. Stuff like that. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Oka,y so Tuck didn't learn anything else specific to the Loyalists, but he'd suspect that if the rumors about the fake Elite guards in Garden and Phelix's connection to The Crossed Candles turn out to be true, there will likely be Loyalists involved (or, at least, in the area). Could The Crossed Candles be a Loyalist safe house?

However, there is one specific thing about the Rising Swords that Tuck learned about. It seems that some of their members that were involved in the New City disaster and were put to the sword, by the adventurers that Custodio once fought beside, have been seen, once again, in both Old City and the Undercity. This would mean that someone got a hold of their dead bodies and raised them from the dead. From what you know of the Rising Swords, they don't bring back fallen members who fail at their missions, so if they are back from the dead, it was someone else who raised them.

As far as Tuck knows, the ex-Rising Swords member who was imprisoned for his part in the New City disaster, a man young named Niklas Hansen, is still in the Dungeon of Bluffside where he's doing five years of hard labor.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
My plan has been to wait until either @Aust Thale or @Envisioner posts their first introductory post before I post again, but now I might put up a short post of Oakfirst voicing his opinion on "street justice." :)

Later though. Right now, I need a bit of rest. I had to go get antibiotics for another sinus/throat infection. I think I manged to "nip it" before it got really bad. Still, sleep. Post later.

:sleep:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases