Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [OOC]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Are we missing any wizards? Or is finding a wizard in any todo list?
I don't think we heard anything like that and wizards would probably cover it...or worse, there is a wizard doppelganger out there.

Or for double bluff, this is petrified doppelganger of someone supposed to be dead who now miracoulously returns :)

ScottDeWar_jr

second birthdate : 15 Dec 2011
Hey all, something is making my brain itch. This portal that is one way, could it have been created with this:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Hey all, something is making my brain itch. This portal that is one way, could it have been created with this:
The key point that you need to realize about the portal in the room is that it is one-way from the other side. The PCs cannot use it to get to the Enclave. Now, the bloom could be used to alter how the portal works, but the PCs don't have the bloom on them at the moment. It is back at Oakfirst Manor for safe keeping. (Of course, I'm assuming it didn't make its way into a bag of holding or handy haversack. Carrying it in a regular backpack would damage it.)

Good thinking! That could be true. And perhaps that flower could even help rescue the genie, although that would mean forgoing it to get to Waldo...
There is that option. For while the crystalline bloom is rare, it isn't so rare that the PCs can't search for another one. The one the PCs have came from the museum of Sem La Vah and it does grow wild in the ruins. Note, however, that where it grows in the wild tends to attract monsters. :p

I believe that the information in the spoiler below was provided to Relgar at one point (hmm, or maybe it was Akos), but I'm not certain the information was shared with the group. But let's say Akos and Vinny would know this information:

While Iridescent Zunsum still grows wild up and down the cliffside coasts near Bluffside (and in the ruins), it has been cultivated by a handful of nobles and wizards in the city. The bloom's magical properties make it highly valuable and the PCs discovered that not only did the museum have a full bloom, but also there is a very old bloom growing on the grounds of the Lord Mayor's estate.

While The Five were willing to let the PCs have the bloom from the museum, they insisted on not disturbing the bloom growing in the deceased Lord Hollingsworth's personal garden unless absolutely necessary. It is very old, very delicate, and very valuable (worth twice as much as a normal bloom). It is possible that there are other nobles who have Iridescent Zunsum cuttings but it isn't something a noble family would want their rivals to know. (Cuttings are like small geodes.)

It is not purposefully grown in the Gardens of Old City. That's what Sylemis told the PCs (at some point... if I'm remembering correctly.) Of course, the wilder Eastern Gardens aren't cultivated the same way as the Western Gardens, so it isn't 100% certain that a bloom hasn't taken root there.

The Wizard Council definitely has blooms located somewhere in the Wizard District. However, they do not like to talk about the magical plants they have growing in the private gardens of the Academy and various Houses of Magic, and The Five cannot order them to give up any Iridescent Zunsum's the wizard's have planted in the district. Vinny could try to go see the Head of the Sectarian Guard, Llamiryl Arahana, at the main barracks in the Wizard District, to find out if he can get access to another bloom, but Vinny and the other PCs would probably have to agree to do a favor for the council in return.

It is unknown if there are any other blooms located in one of the other districts of Bluffside. Maybe in the Temple District in one of the many churches/temples dedicated to magic and/or nature. Hunting one down that way will take time that the PCs really don't have.

The bloom must be planted outside for it grow properly, so it can't be hidden inside a building. (It requires both sunlight and starlight.) So, it also cannot grow underground and isn't found anywhere in the Undercity.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Okay, so a quick reminder about the difference in time between being in the labyrinth and being in Bluffside. Lowenan has told the PCs that for every second they have spent in the labyrinth, one minute passes in Bluffside. I would say the PCs have probably spent just under an hour in the labyrinth including the two fights they've had and the lengthy negotiations with Lowenan and the gnome.

If we say it is about 50 to 60 minutes in the labyrinth, that would be equal to 50 to 60 hours in Bluffside. That's anywhere from 2 to 2-1/2 days that the PCs have been away from the city.

One has to wonder, why didn't someone come looknig for them yet? And what has happened to Castellana who rushed off back towards the entry room just before the fight broke out? Did she succumb to hunger/thirst?

Anyway, I'm headed to bed. :sleep:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Thinking more about how much time has passed for the PCs in the labyrinth, I definitely miscalculated. The baseline for the two combats are 6 second rounds. The first combat had only 3 rounds but the second combat had 6 rounds. That's a total of 54 seconds, which equals 54 minutes in Bluffside.

Plus, the PCs used several skills that take up time such as Bluff, Disable Device, Search, and Sense Motive.

Tuck does a search for traps after descending down the rope into the small entry room. The time displacement isn't as strong there as in the Golem Room and beyond. 1 second was only equal to 5 seconds in that room. Tuck searched six 5-ft squares, which takes 6 rounds.

(Once the secret door to the passageway was opened, time got weird in the guard post, but it wasn't noticeable with casual observation. 1 second became equal to 2 seconds in the guard post.)

Tuck made a Sense Motive (hunch) check to when he first saw the gargoyle golem, which takes a minute. So, that's a hour.

Tuck searched the choke point and part of the Golem Room for traps. That is, at least, thirty 5-ft. squares including the choke point and the first half of the room up to 10-ft beyond the gargoyle golem. The Search skill says that a character generally needs only to be within 10 ft. of a surface for it to be searched.

So, that's 30 rounds of searching, but...

He also had to make a separate Search check to look for footprints, which included searching not only the floor of the Golem Room but also the smaller entry room. So that is another 30 rounds for the Golem Room and 6 rounds for the entryway.

(Tuck also performed a Search check during the combat with the golem to find the trap. Since, it takes a full-round action to search a 5-ft.-by.5-ft. area, so it's not inconceivable that he successfully did this just as the fight was breaking out.)

For Falen's Disable Device check, it takes either a full-round action for simple devices or either 1d4 or 2d4 rounds for more complex devices. The trap definitely wasn't a simple device. It would require a roll of 2d4 rounds. Rolling...

Rounds it took for Falen to disable the trap: 1D4 = [4] = 4
Rounds it took for Falen to disable the trap: 2D4 = [2, 3] = 5
So that's 5 more minutes of time.

While Akos didn't make any Diplomacy checks when he first entered the Portal Room, he did make a Bluff check to conceal his gestures to the DMK, so Lowenan didn't see them.

Regardless, once the PCs entered the portal room and began interacting with the ex-guards, time would have flowed quickly back in Bluffside during the negotiations. I think saying that there has been at least 20 to 30 minutes of talking (outside of combat and other actions) wouldn't be pushing it too far. Let's go with 20 minutes. So, that's another 20 hours.

(Akos Diplomacy check to avoid combat is included in the time allotted for combat.)

That would be, roughly, 83 hours and 59 minutes or 3-1/2 days of time passing back in Bluffside.

Last edited:

Remove ads