Laptops - What programs or resources do you use to help you run or play your games?

Seems like most people use a PDF reader, a word processor (or note pad), a spreadsheet and possibly the SRD and a music player.

I'm surprised more people don't use other electronic tools available (although I have no idea what said tools might be).

Olaf the Stout

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Seems like most people use a PDF reader, a word processor (or note pad), a spreadsheet and possibly the SRD and a music player.

I'm surprised more people don't use other electronic tools available (although I have no idea what said tools might be).

Olaf the Stout

Well, when I run a game online, I actually use my desktop. In such cases, I use far more tools — Skype, Maptools, Photoshop, Photobucket links (for pics of monsters and such), an online dice server, and such.

Dice4Hire

First Post
When I run face to face, I use no computer at the table.

For face to face prep, I copy-paste monsters in to word to increase the type size, and edit them down to something usable.

When I run online I use a lot of things, like the web, a mapping program, and other things to make things work. But that is because I have to, my preference is no computer support.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
When DMing 4e I'm firing up:

- Adobe Reader for PDF'ed character sheets
- MS Word for campaign notes
- Opera for the DDI Compendium (invaluable!)
- Mortaneus' Combat Tracker for bookkeeping

Monster Builder and Character Builder are usually open, too, although I seldom need them to look up specific items. These latter tools are for preparation, mostly.

I intend to use One Note for note taking, but haven't learned to use this program yet.

Jolly_Blackburn

First Post
Best resource I've found on my laptop for games is built into OSX -- SPACES.

With it you can set up as many virtual desktops as you want with a different app or doc active in each. One keystroke brings up a grid with all your virtual "spaces" -- click on one and it zooms in to the document you want.

I set it up so I have the campaign map at full screen on on space, my combat spreadsheet on another, pdf with all the relevant tables on another, Adventure notes/room descriptions on another and so on. I've had up to a dozen screens sit up like this for an adventure.

Hot spots in the corner of the screen bring up the Spaces grid and I simply click on the one I want and change at will.

I use SPACES for virtually everything --work and play. ;) Even on my desktop computer where I have three monitors. Couldn't live without it.

More info on it for those interested: http://www.macworld.com/article/60693/2007/10/leopard_spaces.html

It's one of those underused features of OSX a lot of folks aren't even aware of because you have to turn it on.

A lot of folks who have watched me run a game think it's some sort of high end GM software and are surprised when I tell them how easy it is to set up.

hutchback

Explorer
Virtual Combat Cards (Virtual Combat Cards D&D 4th Edition Initiative and Combat Tracker | Ex Nebula) - I find this really helps combat move along fluidly. Although I do wish you could store a list of effects and conditions in it.

Acrobat - for PDFS

Stickies - for NPCs and general campaign/adventure notes

Spaces - to keep it all sorted

I use a lot of printed materials to support my game as well. Condition markers, initiative cards, etc.

Oryan77

Adventurer
I use Excel for all of my notes and rules stuff. It's almost a 9 meg file at this point.

Then I use an html ECL calculator.

I use Acrobat for pdfs.

I use Winamp to play background music.
I'm wanting to be able to play two mp3's at the same time and I can't find a program that does exactly what I need. I've had lots of people give suggestions, but the program either won't play 2 separate playlists at once, or I can't control volume settings separately...it's always some kinda problem.

Remove ads