• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Large Size PCs?

Elon Tusk

Explorer
I do want a large PC. I'm actually working on my own homebrew centaur race right now. Centaur is nice because the human-sized upper body gets around the whole large-sized weapon issue.

My biggest concern about playing a large-sized character (and, as a DM, allowing large-sized characters) is, unlikely though it may seem, survivability.

Let's look at a large creature honestly. If there is a party and only one of the PCs is large, most foes will see the big brute as the big threat (unless obvious mage is obvious) and try to take it down before it lays the hurt on them. Most rational humanoid enemies would, very reasonably, focus-fire the large PC to death. At early levels this would be painfully easy to do since the large PC would likely squeeze only one extra hp per level out of her racial Constitution bump.

A large PC is a big bull's-eye who has even less potential to hide than normal PCs. I would be very worried about that.

Yes, the target and hide issues were something that I brought up, but others seem to think those less significant.

With a centaur, have you considered giving it a back-kick maybe as a reaction or considered if you would let other PCs mount it?

Elon Tusk

Explorer
Are goliaths considered half-giants? were they in other editions?
There doesn't seem to be mention of anything giant in their lore in Volo's, but they do speak giant.

I ask because I was trying to think of another creature to try a large PC build with, considering half giants with goliath as the other half (a large half-giant as the offspring of medium goliath and a huge giant).

MechaPilot

Explorer
Yes, the target and hide issues were something that I brought up, but others seem to think those less significant.

With a centaur, have you considered giving it a back-kick maybe as a reaction or considered if you would let other PCs mount it?

It has both a single front hoof stomp and double hind-leg kick. The centuar can use the hoof stomp as if it were any other melee weapon. The double hind-leg kick can be used as an attack action (no extra attack feature when using it), symbolizing how difficult it is to turn to kick a foe. If you are keeping track of facing, the centaur can use the double hind-leg kick as a reaction when it is aware of a creature approaching it from the rear.

Also, other PC can mount it, if the centuar allows it. They frequently don't. They don't see themselves, or horses, as being built to be ridden by bipedal races. They don't have any cultural taboos against allowing it. However, it's a lot like giving a little-person a piggy-back ride. You probably wouldn't do it unless you knew them fairly well, or the situation was truly dire.

MechaPilot

Explorer

The target and hide issues do become less significant as the large PC levels up. However, at the first couple of levels they are very real concerns. This becomes even more true if the large PC is actually played as a brute type who solves problem with her muscles.

MechaPilot

Explorer
Are goliaths considered half-giants? were they in other editions?
There doesn't seem to be mention of anything giant in their lore in Volo's, but they do speak giant.

I ask because I was trying to think of another creature to try a large PC build with, considering half giants with goliath as the other half (a large half-giant as the offspring of medium goliath and a huge giant).

I'm not sure. I don't know much about Goliaths. I was never big on the Dark Sun setting, and I haven't real 5e's Volo's Guide yet.

MechaPilot

Explorer
Another potential solution might be found in the action economy. Perhaps you separate the second die of weapon damage into a bonus action or reaction. This would also make the extra damage a once per round occasion, instead of occurring on every hit.

Elon Tusk

Explorer
Another potential solution might be found in the action economy. Perhaps you separate the second die of weapon damage into a bonus action or reaction. This would also make the extra damage a once per round occasion, instead of occurring on every hit.

That's definitely worth looking at, good idea.
It feels more like a class feature though done that way.
And a great sword or lance seems to push it over the edge.

MechaPilot

Explorer
That's definitely worth looking at, good idea.
It feels more like a class feature though done that way.
And a great sword or lance seems to push it over the edge.

In my homebrew setting, light elves live in towns built high up in the trees. They are especially adept at climbing, leaping, and swinging on ropes, because they use those things to get around town in their daily lives. Consequently, they have a subracial feature that will allow them to climb or swing extra distance by spending a bonus action. This is very much like a limited version of the Rogue's Cunning Action. I mention this because I don't particularly have an issue with racial abilities resembling class features, as long as they're appropriately thematic and not overly powerful.

I do agree that the great sword could be problematic though. Perhaps the extra damage should be limited to a single extra die (so a large great sword would deal 3d6, not 4d6).

Elon Tusk

Explorer
So here's slightly different approach.
Again, I'd appreciate feedback.

Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 8.49.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 8.49.59 PM.png

Remove ads