D&D 5E Large Vs Flying?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I don't have an issue with either. I think the problem with large-sized characters is that most adventures are written with the assumption that all PCs will be medium or smaller. If you are creating your own adventures or running more outdoor adventures, that shouldn't be an issue.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Recent race design has also had a lot of power creep in mordenkainen's (both of them) and Fizbans.
Can you expand on this? I am not seeing power creep, I'm seeing a bunch of races that were behind the power curve getting brought up to standard. (looking at you, Genasi). Think like moving from 1d4 natural weapons to 1d6 unarmed strikes - makes them on-par instead of eclipsed by anyone with simple weapon prof, but moves them away from weapons that can get various buffs (divine smite, etc.) to unarmed.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I think that they left too little design space in the races so they dont' feel they can put in any powerful features. Considering both your reaction and the general outcry when permanent flying races were introduced, it shows that there doesn't feel like there's enough goodies in the other races to balance it. There insufficient opportunity cost.

I don't have a problem with large size, though if we give it weapon bonuses I fear we may be starting a "all weapon wielders must be large else they are at a disadvantage vs. the large ones".

Vaalingrade

Legend
The unreasonable fear of flying from 3e (where DMs apparently hadn't heard of advanced technology like trees or 'the indoors') had to earth itself somewhere after 5e blew it wide open with a core flying species.

Fear of Largeness is a little more reasonable as there's more actual work dealing with Large creatures than fliers.

Of course if you embrace abstraction and consider the M square is the point of origin for any auras and the square that has to be drawn through for LoE, and everything else works as Large, it's not a big deal.

Laurefindel

Legend
I don't have an issue with either. I think the problem with large-sized characters is that most adventures are written with the assumption that all PCs will be medium or smaller. If you are creating your own adventures or running more outdoor adventures, that shouldn't be an issue.
I believe it has more to do with the expectation of how the adventure will be run, regardless whether the adventure is published or homebrewed.

Remove ads