• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Last Legion Article

Zaran

Adventurer
I finally am impressed with this article. It isn't biased for Essentials or Core. You don't have to be a specific race or build (or even class). It's about time!

HTML:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drfe/201102legion

Edit: Sorry, I'm not very good with forum links I guess.

The Halfling

Explorer
you know..I like Robert Schwalb's stuff, but lately it seems like the majority of the articles produced are from his fertile mind.

Maybe it's just a perception thing.

I haven't read the flavor text yet, but the first feat in the article (Last Legion Ambusher) is the kind of feat that needs to be removed from 4E IMO. I mean seriously, that's like 5 conditions you need to fulfill to gain its benefit? :erm:

The other feats are okay.

Mengu

First Post
I haven't read the flavor text yet, but the first feat in the article (Last Legion Ambusher) is the kind of feat that needs to be removed from 4E IMO. I mean seriously, that's like 5 conditions you need to fulfill to gain its benefit? :erm:

Agreed.

Not really. Last Legion Officer is maybe okay. The others all suffer from the "anything you can do I can do better" feats, or are still too conditional to be okay.

Ryujin

Legend

Actually it isn't that bad. If you miss with an Encounter, when you have combat advantage, then one buddy gets a damage boost against that target, with an attack, until the end of your next turn. The ally doesn't even need to ALSO have CA, or use an Encounter, in order to get the boost. Great for a ranged attack ambush, or simply when you're flanking an opponent with an ally. The requirements are just somewhat clumsily written. Other than that, I rather like it.

Not really. Last Legion Officer is maybe okay. The others all suffer from the "anything you can do I can do better" feats, or are still too conditional to be okay.

I should have added "YMMV". There are better (and less conditional) feats out there, of course, they just don't seem so bad to me.

Actually it isn't that bad. If you miss with an Encounter, when you have combat advantage, then one buddy gets a damage boost against that target, with an attack, until the end of your next turn.

Was the article updated recently? My pdf says "until the start of your next turn".
That aside, investing in a situational feat that keys off a miss - when you should have a good chance of hitting in the first place - to grant a small one-time damage boost? Not worth the feat slot, and adds to feat bloat IMO.

The ally doesn't even need to ALSO have CA, or use an Encounter, in order to get the boost.

Yes, because that would be adding insult to injury.

Ryujin

Legend
Was the article updated recently? My pdf says "until the start of your next turn".
That aside, investing in a situational feat that keys off a miss - when you should have a good chance of hitting in the first place - to grant a small one-time damage boost? Not worth the feat slot, and adds to feat bloat IMO.

Nope, I misspoke. I still like it, for reasons of flavour, as a "legion" would key off each others' actions. I might have been happier if it was some sort of polearm feat, but this works fine for me.

MrMyth

First Post
I haven't read the flavor text yet, but the first feat in the article (Last Legion Ambusher) is the kind of feat that needs to be removed from 4E IMO. I mean seriously, that's like 5 conditions you need to fulfill to gain its benefit?

It's not as bad as it looks. Those conditions include using encounter powers (which you'll do pretty regularly), have combat advantage (relatively easy to set up for certain characters), and miss with an attack - the only tricky condition to meet. And, of course, once you trigger it, the bonus damage isn't for you but for an ally - though if you focus fire (as most groups do), odds are good that the damage will get used.

Now, for the average character, it isn't a great feat. Of little use at Heroic levels, and even at Paragon, +6 or so damage per combat is ok but not great.

But not every feat needs to be great for everyone. And there are certainly characters for whom this is quite solid. Anyone making lots of multi-target attacks, for example. Suddenly that bonus damage is boosted quite a bit - especially since controllers or leader may be more likely to be missing with attacks.

So as long as they can set up combat advantage for their encounter powers, they can spread out some solid bonus damage for their allies.

Again, not a great feat for everyone. And probably not that great for those it was intended for (strikers). But certainly not useless.

Last Legion Defender is the one I think isn't all that great - though, honestly, its better than many other Opportunity Attack based feats out there. I'd much rather have an OA give +2 AC to my character and an ally, rather than push 1 square or deal +2 damage or whatever. I'm willing to accept it for the flavor, but I think it is the only real problem feat here.

None of these are at the Essentials feat level of power (which I'm fine with), but they are all feats I can see certain characters taking - and that's good enough for me.

But not every feat needs to be great for everyone. And there are certainly characters for whom this is quite solid. Anyone making lots of multi-target attacks, for example. Suddenly that bonus damage is boosted quite a bit - especially since controllers or leader may be more likely to be missing with attacks.

Fair enough. I hadn't really considered area attacks. But then there's a good chance the extra damage is wasted on a minion. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads