D&D General Lego Dungeons & Dragons Contest Winner Announced!

We could use a bit of good D&D news after the recent licensing bombshell, and LEGO is here for us! The winner of the Dungeons & Dragons LEGO contest has been announced, and it's Dragon's Keep: Journey's End, created by BoltBuilds. It features changeable doors, a witches' tower, a tavern, a dungeon with a beholder, and a crypt, and uses nearly 3,000 pieces. After hundreds of entries and an...

We could use a bit of good D&D news after the recent licensing bombshell, and LEGO is here for us! The winner of the Dungeons & Dragons LEGO contest has been announced, and it's Dragon's Keep: Journey's End, created by BoltBuilds.

It features changeable doors, a witches' tower, a tavern, a dungeon with a beholder, and a crypt, and uses nearly 3,000 pieces.

e5b6ab93-db09-4e7d-9258-960814061e1e-resize-950x633.jpg

After hundreds of entries and an exciting Fan Vote, only one could be selected! A huge thank you to everyone who participated. We are very happy to announce that Dragon's Keep: Journey's End has been selected! A huge congratulations to BoltBuilds, the incredible designer behind this submission.

I wonder if we could see later LEGO version of other Hasbro franchises. Maybe Star-Frontiers. Gamma World maybe but the firearms should be laser canons. The castle of Raveloft shouldn't be impossible, only very expensive. Spelljammer would be a good option, even an animated show and some kid-friendly videogame.

M.A.S.K, Robotix or Visionaries? there would be some doubts.
Anyone at anytime can submit a model via Lego Ideas. If it gets enough support, then it gets made. Of course, those specific ideas of yours will require licenses, but if it's popular enough, I'm sure they will go to the expense.

But, this contest was a special collaboration, so the license stuff was already worked out.
And a Lego set has to sell enough to offset the cost of molds and production design.
Usually these don't require any custom molds. Part of Lego Ideas is using the existing brick designs to create cool new things. Did this design require any new bricks? (Was such even allowed in this competition?)

FormerLurker

Adventurer
Anyone at anytime can submit a model via Lego Ideas. If it gets enough support, then it gets made. Of course, those specific ideas of yours will require licenses, but if it's popular enough, I'm sure they will go to the expense.
Not really.
Your set can get made, but probably won't. Lots of sets make it past the 10,000 user requirement, but not all make it to the Review phase, and of those picked for that, not all win.
In 2021 there were 57 possible sets, and something like 41 sets were reviewed but only two are guaranteed. And only a couple were approved in 2020.

Usually these don't require any custom molds. Part of Lego Ideas is using the existing brick designs to create cool new things. Did this design require any new bricks? (Was such even allowed in this competition?)
I don't believe so, and most Ideas sets are required to only use existing blocks. But when they actually do the final model new blocks and sculpts do slip in.

Of course the key is the licence. If Hasbro is interested into future acquisitions, what company could be the next target? Even they tried a merger with Mattel.

All the bricks look standard, but I can see see WotC wanting tweaks to the dragon to make it more consistent with Monster Manual designs (is it green with red wings?)

Also, what if bricks are from another licence? Isn't that Thor's helmet I see?

Remove ads

Remove ads