D&D 5E Let's Read: Volo's Monsters

We get a blast from the past today, as the Leucrotta reminds us of the glory days of the Gnoll entries. We first discussed these guys in the context of the Gnoll warbands when we covered the Maw Demon and Shoosuva, so you might want to look back at that post to see how they fit into the wider Gnoll shenanigans.

0176db457ca685b1fdd950d71a6a030d.jpg

The Leucrotta art in Volo’s is not the most attractive image in the world, but then the Leucrotta is not the most attractive animal in the world. It is a little plain though, and reminds me of the fairly simple art of second edition.

This is a surprisingly complex beast, for a horse-sized Gnoll companion. They are masters of torture, much more capable than the Gnolls of prolonging the misery before death, and they are a sort of entertainment for the Gnolls in this function. In addition, the Leucrotta are smarter than the Gnolls, and seem to operate as a ‘power behind the throne’ in what we might charitably describe as Gnoll society, advising the leaders of a given group. The Leucrottas are actually peers of Gnolls, being formed at the same time and the same way - Yeenoghu’s rampages and Hyenas - so I think that the two races are much closer in temperament and alliance than, say, Man and Horse. Yet the Leucrotta have another facet, namely their Mimicry ability - like Kenku, they are masters of imitating the noises of others, and even have deer-shaped hooves, which can be a big surprise for someone in your party who is using the survival skill to find their dinner. This makes the Leucrotta a solid option for an encounter while traveling, I think, since you can initially frame it as a ‘slice of life’ moment - showing the Ranger doing his thing - but rapidly develop it into a dangerous combat encounter.

The Leucrotta have some interesting abilities, and I think that we can frame them as Gnoll Rogues, albeit Large sized. They can run into combat, make a Bite and a Hooves attack, and then use Kicking Retreat to use the Disengage action as a bonus action, which is pretty potent on 50ft movement. This combines with a fairly low AC and fairly high HP to make them a solid option, probably a lot more interesting when used in pairs to harrass and annoy the players. They have the Rampage trait, so combine very nicely with Gnolls such as the Pack Lord or Flind, especially when you note that their Bite attack (which the Flind triggers) has triple critical damage, a subtle but fun little trait.

Sent from my iPad using EN World mobile app

Last edited:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
The Leucrotta is, a bit out of place all things considered, but I will get to that later.

They are a skirmisher type enemy, much like the Flesh Gnawer. Make good use of their mobility in order to exploit weakened targets the same way. Also, they can be ridden into battle by a medium or smaller member of the warband. This would seem like the best use for them, granting a Flind, Pact Lord, Fang of Yeenoghu, or Cultist leader their advanced movement. Or perhaps dragging along their own Ghoul in the hopes of paralyzing something to torture. An alternative is using them to set up an ambush, mimicking some humanoid victim in the hopes of luring more victims to them. Presumably identifying what racial voice to use based on smell. They are a monstrosity, a rather unique creature type in a Gnoll horde, which could be useful for foiling some wards. And they certainly have the brains for such work.

Oh, and if you can, make sure they taunt the PC's in combat somehow, mimicking a loved-ones voice should do the trick.

Now, as for why I think they are odd:

They are effectively the "face" of the Gnoll Horde. Yes, that's right, a foul-smelling, oozing, sadistic, ugly, deer-badger-hyena, is the member of the Gnoll horde you are most likely to talk to. And perhaps the only one who won't eat you on sight.

Additionally, they are primed for being in a position of leadership, due to outsmarting the majority of the warband. Unfortunately, they are still dumber than the average commoner, and have had a bit of a brain drain compared to previous editions.

Their Rampage is based on it's Hooves. Everything else, and I do mean everything, uses their bite.

They appear to be designed to hit and run. Despite being beefier than any Gnoll that isn't a Flind. In fact, that's a different MO than nearly everything in the Gnoll Warband.

They suffer from bonus action scarcity. Rampage and Kicking Retreat can't be used in the same round. Granted, they are both movement options of a kind, but really it's kind of a bummer you can't do both. An even bigger bummer is that they can't benefit from a Flind's Aura and disengage.

dave2008

Legend
They are effectively the "face" of the Gnoll Horde. Yes, that's right, a foul-smelling, oozing, sadistic, ugly, deer-badger-hyena, is the member of the Gnoll horde you are most likely to talk to. And perhaps the only one who won't eat you on sight.

That's sounds perfect to me. I can't imagine a better ambassador of a gnoll warband than your description.

I like most things about the leucrotta except for one main thing - the art. It has always been portrayed as, and is even described in the accompanying text in this book, as having a head like a badger. That head is nothing like any badger in existence. It's certainly not even close to the common American or European badgers (which has the art in previous editions based their heads on); at best, you might say it very, very vaguely resembles a honey badger, but... no, it really doesn't even resemble one of those either. The body isn't all that well done either - previous editions had it resemble a deer (carrying on from the legs, which the artist actually got right here), and VGtM says it resembles a hyena, but again here, it doesn't really resemble either.

Rant over. :D

dave2008

Legend
I like most things about the leucrotta except for one main thing - the art. It has always been portrayed as, and is even described in the accompanying text in this book, as having a head like a badger. That head is nothing like any badger in existence. It's certainly not even close to the common American or European badgers (which has the art in previous editions based their heads on); at best, you might say it very, very vaguely resembles a honey badger, but... no, it really doesn't even resemble one of those either. The body isn't all that well done either - previous editions had it resemble a deer (carrying on from the legs, which the artist actually got right here), and VGtM says it resembles a hyena, but again here, it doesn't really resemble either.

Rant over. :D

I agree, it also looks surprising similar to the Yeth hound on pg 201. At least the head does.

Here is the original 1e Monster Manual illustration of the leucrotta:

200px-Leucrotta_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons).JPG

I always thought the illustration of leucrottas from the 3e Monsters of Faerun captured them the best though:

mof_leucrotta.jpg

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases