D&D General Let's Share Our Alternate Lore

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
My interpretation of D&D monsters changes from time to time. This is my current take on dragons.

My dragons don’t fly. They make up for this with scarier breath weapons and a boatload of extra resistances and condition immunities.

Blue dragons exhale a cloud of electrified sand.

Gold dragons exhale a cloud of acidic gas that quickly solidifies, kind of like a corrosive version of the quarantine Amber from Fringe.

Red dragons turn the ground around them into molten lava, and exhale blast of nuclear energy like Godzilla. Better have someone on hand who can cure diseases, because you’re gonna die of radiation poisoning if you don’t, regardless of whether you run away or somehow manage to kill it.

Silver dragons exhale a super-cold liquid that quickly evaporates into a cloud of poison gas.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
I tend to use a filed-down... basically 4e... extraplanar cosmology for my games, because I'm usually running Spelljammer and I want the focus to be on space exploration. (Also because the Great Wheel means capital-A Alignment.) Spelljamming helms allow ships to move through the Astral Plane... Githyanki and Githzerai are both mostly material races but have hideouts in the Astral and the Elemental Chaos, respectively.

The Elves, the Thri-Kreen, and the Githyanki are always at war-- specifically, two of them are always allied against the other, and this alliance changes every thirty or forty years or so. This shapes how each race views the war... as any adult Elf will have been at war against and allied with both races multiple times, while most Kreen will have only experienced one configuration.

Dragons were created the way that they are for a reason... their role is to limit the overall number of mortals who can become Immortals, and ensure that the ones who succeed are willing to "play ball" with the Celestial Bureaucracy.

Oortlings are descendants of the Thaal (Star•Drive), as are Fraal and/or Gnomes. The reason the Thaal themselves never make an appearnace is that they literally do not exist-- their civilization, their species, and their god were quarantined from reality through the cooperation of pretty much all of the Aligned Outsiders.

Sometimes Fraal are a thing.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
From my homebrew setting, The Witching Grounds, "dragonborn" are humans (typically aristocracy) who've imbibed dragon's blood in a special ritual. They don't look like dragons, and their "breath weapon" (while functionally the same) looks more like blood magic burning through the veins of their forearms and hands. The ritual often cure or delays disease or congenital defects, but they otherwise look like and age like a human.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
On Goblins

Though they vary widely in form and temperament, all goblinoids are the same kind of creature, and all start life as goblincobbles[1]. These are waxy pumpkin-sized lumps of a sebaceous material that accumulates in pits and crevices wherever goblinoids (or their corpses) congregate. When a goblincobble is properly tended by goblin shamans, it melts away, leaving behind a moist but otherwise fully-functional goblin[2].

New goblinoids grow over time. The majority of these creatures live and die as ordinary goblins. Aside from those, a significant fraction eventually develop some degree of intellect and cunning to become gobgoblins[3] or bogbers[4]. A scant few others, however, grow more dull in wit but more immense in size and appetite. These are oggers[5].

The bigger a goblinoid is, the more it likes to sleep. Oggers-- especially the really big ones-- can sleep for very long periods, sometimes for so long that soil and weeds might even heap up on them. Like most predatory hiberators, oggers tend toward extreme hunger and grumpiness upon rousing.

The more a goblinoid sleeps, the more likely it is never to reawaken, and instead crumble into a mass of foul tumors and oily sludge. Some of this material might eventually congeal into a handful of goblincobbles, thus completing the dubiously beautiful goblinoid lifecycle[6].

Goblin social structure

Notoriously referred to as "the gnome's sock drawer of cultural phenomena"[7], goblinoid society is as chaotic as goblinoid hygiene is pungent. Thus, it has steadfastly defied all logic and patience to be investigated, and scholars no longer bother.

Goblin religion

Goblinoid legend tells that one day their kind will be led to dominion over "All the Places" by the biggest, goblinest ogger of all goblindom: the Gobgrimmoggerbog[8]. They believe this stupendously big ogger is divinely warded from slumberous discorporation into goblincobbles, and continues to snooze fitfully beneath some long-forgotten hill.

Elven scholars who have researched this primitive goblin tale mockingly refer to it as goblinkind's "terrible dark hope," or (in the Elvish language) their tarasque[9].

Notes
[1] Technically termed repugnantite by scholars, gobblincobbles are colloquially called "hill boogers," "snot jade," and other similarly colorful names.
[2] If the newly-excavated goblinoid is particularly small, humans might call it a "norker."
[3] gobgoblin - what humans call a "hobgoblin"
[4] bogber - what humans call a "bugbear"
[5] ogger - what humans might call an "ogre" or "hill giant"
[6] The goblinoid lifecycle follows a pattern referred to in the technical natural philosophical literature as bioperparageogenesis.
[7] Kartoffelwerfer, B. “Filth, Fancy, and Fact: A Meta-analysis of Goblin Studies.”
Journal of Academic Exasperation vol. xxix, pp.12-17.
[8] Gobgrimmoggerbog - Translated from the goblin language, this means "big, bad, really scary goblin."
[9] tarasque - This term[10] conjoins the Elvish words t'ara[11], meaning "of or pertaining to a shade of black so dark it causes clinging despair;" and asque[12], meaning "hope."
[10] No, what you are thinking is just a coincidence[13].
[11] The Elvish word t'ara is the likely root of the human word "tar."
[12] The Elvish word asque is the likely root of the human word "ask."
[13] Just. a. coincidence!

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Two major bits of homebrew lore inform every game I ever run:

1. Deities. There were five to start, four representing two great universal dualities (Good-Evil and [Yin-Yang a.k.a. Male-Female] and the fifth representing Neutrality-All-Nothing. Eventually life etc. grew so complex these five realized they needed help; also a new duality - Law-Chaos - had arisen. So, they between them created 16 more deities, for a total of 21.

And despite there being thousands if not millions of different deities etc. worshipped across the universe, almost every one of them is simply an aspect of one of those 21.

Which means, no matter what I ever run or what local pantheon might be used, I can tie it in to this overarching system.

2. Magic. I've made magic a fifth physical force, along with gravity, weak, strong, and electromagnetic. This fifth force is suppressed on worlds that have a particular element (uranium) in their makeup, thus explaining the existence of mundane worlds like this one we're sitting on. Some living beings can by whatever means access this fifth force and in some cases harness it and-or bend it to their will; and these are the spellcasters. Other living beings need its presence in order to exist and-or survive, and these are the creatures we in the real world would consider as 'fantastic'.

This gives me a nice simple easy-to-grok foundation for magic to work on. The differences between arcane, divine and bardic magic are all to do with the means of access employed by the casters.

Remove ads