D&D 4E Let's Talk About 4E On Its Own Terms [+]

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Several months ago, I started running 4e for a group of players who largely entered the hobby with 5e. So my perspective is much fresher than it was from my previous 4e game (5+ years ago).
I haven't had the chance to read through this thread, but I'll just put in a few quick notes before I can elaborate:
  • I love the online tools and character builder I found through the Discord.
Can you direct me to this tool. One big reason to not play 4e is due to character building without a tool being awful.

Retreater

Legend
Can you direct me to this tool. One big reason to not play 4e is due to character building without a tool being awful.
I found it on the 4E Discord. I'm a little leery about posting the direct link - and besides, there was a lot of helpful information about how to install the software.
I'd recommend getting on the Discord.

Several months ago, I started running 4e for a group of players who largely entered the hobby with 5e. So my perspective is much fresher than it was from my previous 4e game (5+ years ago).
I haven't had the chance to read through this thread, but I'll just put in a few quick notes before I can elaborate:
  • Encounter building works. My players told me it's the first system we've played where the challenges are thrilling and fair.
  • I don't like feeling it's necessary to plug the character sheets into a program and print new sheets every level. I wish I wasn't so dependent on technology.
  • The organization of the power cards is essential for this group.
  • Some players have a hard time wrapping their heads around how powers work. ("Why can't these just be spells?")
  • Can't really go "Nova" if things go bad. Healing is largely limited as Encounter (not Daily) resources. You can't really go "all in."
  • Magic items aren't especially cool.
  • Combats aren't as long as some complain they are (granted, we're 3rd level, but we have 6 players).
  • Wish more of it was POD (esp Madness at Gardmore Abbey - though maybe I can reconstruct a boxed set myself with a Deck of Many Things)
  • We just wrapped up a fantastic dungeon crawl I wrote. The first time a player actually felt compared to map on graph paper - and everyone was on the edge of their seats to see how it fit together. Literally as exciting as any combat encounter.
  • I wish there was a "re-roll" use for an Action Point. I have a player who notoriously never connects with Encounter or Daily Powers.
I always thought allowing use of an AP for a reroll would be fine. There are already ways some builds can get rerolls now and then.

Tigris

Explorer
Not sure if you found the discord or not, but one other simple way is to email scrivener of doom:

• Encounter building works. My players told me it's the first system we've played where the challenges are thrilling and fair.
  • I don't like feeling it's necessary to plug the character sheets into a program and print new sheets every level. I wish I wasn't so dependent on technology.
  • The organization of the power cards is essential for this group.
  • Some players have a hard time wrapping their heads around how powers work. ("Why can't these just be spells?")
  • Can't really go "Nova" if things go bad. Healing is largely limited as Encounter (not Daily) resources. You can't really go "all in."
  • Magic items aren't especially cool.
  • Combats aren't as long as some complain they are (granted, we're 3rd level, but we have 6 players).
  • Wish more of it was POD (esp Madness at Gardmore Abbey - though maybe I can reconstruct a boxed set myself with a Deck of Many Things)
  • We just wrapped up a fantastic dungeon crawl I wrote. The first time a player actually felt compelled to map on graph paper - and everyone was on the edge of their seats to see how it fit together. Literally as exciting as any combat encounter.
  • I wish there was a "re-roll" use for an Action Point. I have a player who notoriously never connects with Encounter or Daily Powers.

About "cant go nova": Arent action points (+ dailies) for that? If you use an action point you get 1 more attack (and from level 11 on even a big bonus). This is literally the action surge from 5 fighter.

If your healer does not want to heal, would they maybe be ok with playing a Skald Bard? Skald Bards have passive an aura where everyone can heal themselves if needed.

Also adding a reroll for an action point should be fine.

About the magic items: Why dont you like them? I mean most magic items have daily or encounter powers. What would you expect as cool items? (Or do the player only want the ones with +hit / + defense?)

Do your players use character themes? Because that might be an easy option to give them a bit more "power" (there are several ones which have minor action attacks to burst/nova, or ones with pets to take part of the damage the group takes).

Retreater

Legend
About "cant go nova": Arent action points (+ dailies) for that? If you use an action point you get 1 more attack (and from level 11 on even a big bonus). This is literally the action surge from 5 fighter.
It's not as "nova" as my group is accustomed to. Largely, most resources in 4e are based around an Encounter (not Daily - like it is in every other edition of D&D). So they're not used to that division and how to pace their characters in a fight.
If your healer does not want to heal, would they maybe be ok with playing a Skald Bard? Skald Bards have passive an aura where everyone can heal themselves if needed.
If we're talking about the ardent - they don't mind healing. They only want to heal themselves. ;)
I think they're not used to the teamwork play necessary to really take full advantage of their abilities. They are enjoying the game, however.

darkbard

Legend
It's not as "nova" as my group is accustomed to. Largely, most resources in 4e are based around an Encounter (not Daily - like it is in every other edition of D&D). So they're not used to that division and how to pace their characters in a fight.

If we're talking about the ardent - they don't mind healing. They only want to heal themselves. ;)
I think they're not used to the teamwork play necessary to really take full advantage of their abilities. They are enjoying the game, however.
It sounds like a lot of the problems you're running into are your group's idiosyncrasies rather than system issues.

Last edited:

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I am a huge 4E fan, so there were a couple of resources discussed here that I really appreciate. My biggest thought about 4E is "What could have been." I remember talking with Paizo about whether or not they would do modules for 4E. They told me "We would love to." I just wonder how things would have been different if things had stayed the same with Paizo and, if I get a second wish, that it just would have used the OGL.

Retreater

Legend
It sounds like a lot of the problems you're running into are your group's idiosyncrasies rather than system issues.
Certainly. I've run 4E for other groups where these issues haven't arisen.
I do think the system is 90% a great fit for our group - the rest of it I can try to adjust with house rules or just be okay with it not being a "perfect" game (which isn't really possible anyway).

Remove ads