Playtest (A5E) Level Up Playtest Document #10: Adept

Welcome to the 10th Level Up playtest document. This playtest contains a candidate for the first 10 levels of the game’s adept class. The adept is a renaming of the monk of O5E, and allows us to portray a wide variety of unarmed combatants.

Adept_-_Júlio_Cesar_Oliveira_Rocha.jpg

When you have absorbed the playtest document, please take the survey and let us know what you think!

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
In 3x, the Adept NPC class was used as a generic spellcaster class.
One thing we're definitely not worried about is people playing Level Up: Advanced 5E getting confused by 20-year NPC class names from two editions ago, and we're certainly not going to let that hamstring us! Even if they do become confused (which I don't believe they will, because it's not really confusing), the names in the game you play are the ones you become used to and are the associations you make. Honestly, it's not something we're concerned about.

Faolyn

(she/her)
One thing we're definitely not worried about is people playing Level Up: Advanced 5E getting confused by 20-year NPC class names from two editions ago, and we're certainly not going to let that hamstring us! Even if they do become confused (which I don't believe they will, because it's not really confusing), the names in the game you play are the ones you become used to and are the associations you make. Honestly, it's not something we're concerned about.
Just explaining to Corrosive why some people are saying Adept feels "magical."

I'm not hugely fond of Adept, mostly because it doesn't feel very fighter-y to me (rogues and spellcasters can be quite adept as well). But I've looked and can't find a better name that isn't also at least two words long; all of the one-word names (Pugilist? Brawler?) don't feel quite right either.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I don't think that you should let it hamstring you. On the other hand, I think that 3e's use of the term Adept (as well as 5e's two uses, and whatever else) should be considered as part of the many pros and cons to the name. (I'm not telling you what to do here; I presume you've gone through this process yourselves).

Ultimately, I'm not sure Adept is the best term, but your survey should say more on it.

Stalker0

Legend
I'm fine with Adept myself, but I do respect how important and powerful a name can be. A few other thoughts:

Militant
Warrior
Cenobite
Ascetic
Spartan

Stalker0

Legend
Something I've noticed as I made a few characters with the Adept. Though it says you get 3rd level maneuvers at 8th, because you don't get another manuever until 10th its actually 10th level you get 3rd level manuevers, which is a big gap.

Here's an example character I made as I was assessing the class.

Olacan was raised in a family of pioneers. But early in life, he found religion at the steps of a prophet, who has spoken of a holy land, that once found, will bring peace and prosperity to the entire region. Olacan has now spent the last 10 years of his life wandering alone, with only the sacred scrolls to train his body and mind. He is tough and rugged, but with only the occasional beast or brigand to test his skills on, he is not truly battle tested. Olacan has had very little interaction with other people, and emotionally is very stoic and sheltered.

Olacan the Adept (8th level Human)

Str: 19
Dex: 12
Con: 14
Int: 10
Wisdom: 14
Charisma: 8

Skills: Athletics (Expert), Acrobatics, Insight, Medicine, Perception, Religion, Stealth, Survival, Healer’s Kit, Drums
Saves: Str +7, Dex: +4, Death Saves +3

AC: 16 (+4 str, +2 leather)
HP: 59
Speed: 55
Attack: +7x2 (1d6 + 4)

Human: Die-Hard Survivor (+3 to Death Saving Throws)

Culture: Pioneer (Insight, Survival, +1 wis, +1 str)
Background: Hermit (Religion, Medicine, Healer’s Kit)

Feats: +2 Str, Skill Expert (Exp: Athletics, Prof: Acrobatics, +1 str)

Adept

Adroit Defense (Brutal Defense)
Exertion: 10
Focus Features (5), DC 13

• Battle Meditation
  • Slow Fall (40)
  • Mind over Body (1d6 +8)
  • Stunning Strike
  • Shockwave
Battlefield Ettiquette
Empty Mind

Knacks: Adept Speed x2, Gale Walk, Hurricane Walk

Maneuvers (1st – 2, 2nd – 2). DC 16

• Swift Combat Stance
  • Iron Will
  • Preternatural Strikes
  • Parry

ruemere

Adventurer
How about Martial Artist? Contemplative? Pugilist? Boxer? Martialist? Ascetic? Cenobite? Artiste? Jedi?
You basically want a perfect melee character who uses their body as a weapon and armor. An exemplar of unarmed engagement.

There is not a single easy way to describe such concept as there are probably as many there are cultures in the world. Or maybe even more.

So an adept - with a little twist - like adeptus (from Latin, "one who has achieved") is pretty adequate.

I wish 'flurry of blows' weren't such an iconic element of the adept/monk. It always struck me as weird that weapons were useful at low level when your fists do d4 but a staff does d8, but at high level they just became flavor. If you always did longsword damage with your fists, though, extra attacks become too strong.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases