Blog (A5E) Level Up: Spending Gold (At Higher Levels)

One of the challenges with designing an advanced 5th Edition (A5E) is filling in some of the areas of the original (O5E) game which have room for expansion. We’ve looked previously at how we’re expanding the exploration pillar. This article takes a quick peak at ways to spend your gold at higher levels. Of course, at all levels characters can buy magic items and other equipment, but here...

One of the challenges with designing an advanced 5th Edition (A5E) is filling in some of the areas of the original (O5E) game which have room for expansion.

We’ve looked previously at how we’re expanding the exploration pillar. This article takes a quick peak at ways to spend your gold at higher levels. Of course, at all levels characters can buy magic items and other equipment, but here we’ll explore some other options.

cropped-ragesian-empire.jpg

CapnZapp

Legend
You jest (insert quip about shorting your nearest magic shoppe here), but in my opinion the issue of making money off screen is best handled through a gentleman's agreement: that we're playing a game about heroic adventure, not making heroic portfolio investments.

That is, the rules doesn't have to make economic sense. If they lead to heroes being able to make money "behind the scene" (between adventures) that's all right, because players should already have agreed not to focus on that.

nevin

Hero
I really think this is something that should be handled by the DM. This modern trend of there should be a rule for everything is simply bad for the game. If they players have money and they want to buy a Keep they should roleplay it buy a keep and then they have to hire guards, cooks etc. If the DM wants it to be that detailed it can be. If the DM just wants to say the upkeep is x thousands of gold a month thats ok as well. I don't think I'd run a game where players can purchase feats to get items or property. I'd rather that flow organically from the game and the story.

dave2008

Legend
I really think this is something that should be handled by the DM. This modern trend of there should be a rule for everything is simply bad for the game. If they players have money and they want to buy a Keep they should roleplay it buy a keep and then they have to hire guards, cooks etc. If the DM wants it to be that detailed it can be. If the DM just wants to say the upkeep is x thousands of gold a month thats ok as well. I don't think I'd run a game where players can purchase feats to get items or property. I'd rather that flow organically from the game and the story.
However, LevelUp / A5E is specifically for those people who want to play 5e with more rules. If you don't want these rules, play O5E, or heck, you can play A5E without these rules.

Your comment really makes no sense in the context of the goals of A5E and its intended audience.

Last edited:

Faolyn

(she/her)
I don't think I'd run a game where players can purchase feats to get items or property. I'd rather that flow organically from the game and the story.
To be fair, base 5e does have rules for paying for training in skills and languages and the like, when you'd normally have to spend a feat to get them. So purchasing feats isn't too out of the norm.

But anyway, it seems like it's less buying feats and more a free feat with purchase of a stronghold.

RSIxidor

Adventurer
I don't get the cook. The Inexperienced benefit seems like it's better than the Expert benefit to me, because as written, it doesn't appear to use any of your own resources, where the Expert seems to just help you get your own limited resource back slightly faster. Do the benefits stack together? What am I missing?

Faolyn

(she/her)
I don't get the cook. The Inexperienced benefit seems like it's better than the Expert benefit to me, because as written, it doesn't appear to use any of your own resources, where the Expert seems to just help you get your own limited resource back slightly faster. Do the benefits stack together? What am I missing?
It does seem like it should stack, but for all we know there are tons of things that use your Hit Dice, meaning that getting back extra is actually more important than getting back extra healing. Looking through the playtests, fighters can spend HD to regain exertion, warlords can let you spend HD without taking a rest; and sorcerers can spend HD to regain sorcery points. Presumably there will be other, similar options in the other classes, and maybe with other rules.

Remove ads

Remove ads