• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Leveling: How do you do it?

mmadsen

First Post
Do you have your PCs train before they can advance a level? Do you forego training and gain the benefits of the new level immediately? Do you use some combination of the two?

I recommend letting the characters advance in BAB, Saves, and any skills they used without special training. They don't have to get all the benefits of a new level at once.

Weeble

First Post
Training to some degree seems like a realistic necessity here are my House Rules on it, similar to the poster's ideas:

Training DMG p.41-42
Classes, Feats, or Skills, Trained or otherwise, possessed by party members may be trained ahead of time at no cost. Only Trained Skills, Feats, or Classes that party members do not possess require a mentor. The first rank in a Trained Skill requires 5 days of training with an NPC mentor for 50gp. Extra ranks in trained skills come naturally and represent one’s focus in that skill, and thus take no time or money. Some Feats can not be trained ahead of time at the discretion of the DM. Feats that must be trained and are not possessed by a party member require 10 days of training with a mentor for 100gp. A new class not possessed by a party member takes 20 days to train at a cost of 200gp per level of the mentor.
Variant: Learning New Spells, DMG p.41-42
The two free spells gained per level do not cost time or money to scribe into one's spellbook and are representative of ongoing research. Spells that are copied from other sources or have been researched by the caster beyond the two free spells require one day per spell of training for writing it into the spellbook. This also requires materials worth 50 gp per page for the scribing.

Crothian

First Post
I like to have training as optional for the PCs, they don't need to do it, but if they choose to they get something extra for it like a weak feat or bonus skill points.

SableWyvern

Adventurer
I basically use the Rolemaster system for levelling, although I'm fairly easy-going in my current campaign.

Generally speaking, a character is assumed to be practicing/using/learning whatever they are going to gain next level the entire time that they are progressing to that level.

If they are learning a new skill, feat or class, generally they need some type of instruction - either from fellow party members or NPCs.

Frex, the Bbn/Clr in the party was taught reading and writing by another party member during the level leading up to his spending the requisite two skill ranks.

Similarly, a fighter in the party began the game under instruction from the Rog/Wiz on the arts of wizardry up until 5th level, when he took his first Wiz level.

Where a character is unable to receive instruction in a new skill, I will allow him to spend the points and then gain access to the new ranks as soon as his training occurs.

ForceUser

Explorer
In my campaign, which kicks off this Sunday, I will require characters to train before leveling. I'll inform players when their characters are qualified to gain a level, and at that point they'll need to take some time to either work on their new techniques or find a mentor to help them. If they decide to train alone it will take a number of uninterrupted weeks equal to the level they are advancing to before they can spend skill points, choose feats, etc. They can halve that training time by learning under a mentor. I chose this method of advancement for three reasons:

1. To spread out the pace of the campaign and allow seasons, years and events to pass as the characters grow.

2. To make at least a passing nod at realism. You just don't go grasshoppah to grandmastah in six months.

3. To create more opportunities for neat roleplaying encounters. When the PCs choose to seek a mentor it will require roleplaying and perhaps even unplanned adventures. As the PCs level up, finding new mentors will become increasingly challenging, prompting unplanned trips to remote, exotic, or even dangerous locales.

Weeble

First Post
ForceUser said:
In my campaign, which kicks off this Sunday, I will require characters to train before leveling. I'll inform players when their characters are qualified to gain a level, and at that point they'll need to take some time to either work on their new techniques or find a mentor to help them. If they decide to train alone it will take a number of uninterrupted weeks equal to the level they are advancing to before they can spend skill points, choose feats, etc. They can halve that training time by learning under a mentor. I chose this method of advancement for three reasons:

1. To spread out the pace of the campaign and allow seasons, years and events to pass as the characters grow.

2. To make at least a passing nod at realism. You just don't go grasshoppah to grandmastah in six months.

3. To create more opportunities for neat roleplaying encounters. When the PCs choose to seek a mentor it will require roleplaying and perhaps even unplanned adventures. As the PCs level up, finding new mentors will become increasingly challenging, prompting unplanned trips to remote, exotic, or even dangerous locales.

YYYEEEAHHHHHH :D

Cullain

First Post
its on the job training for CORE classes and for PrC's and non CORE classes they must find a tutor/mentor/teacher/barbarian shaman/etc to teach them..

This is how i do it, as well. Advancing as a standard class is automatic, usually done at the end of adventures, or between adventures through e-mail.

But advancing as a PrC requires a mentor. Not necessarily for each level they gain in the PrC, but at least to gain their first level in it.

Cullain

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads