D&D 5E Levels 1-4 are "Training Wheels?"

Oofta

Legend
Some DMs in this thread talk about taking a year to get to 4. I don’t think this generalization is the gotcha you think it is.
I would only do that if the entire group was into it. Most of the time, the first two levels take a session each.

Just because I enjoy spending more time on lower levels doesn't mean everyone will.

Lyxen

Great Old One
It’s crazy you get away with telling people that they have no idea what they’re doing in such a consistent passive aggressive way. This persons suggestions did I’m no way deserve you telling them they don’t know what they’re doing.

Actually it did deserve that, since basically the only intent of the post was threadcrapping on the tune of "5e is flawed".

Lyxen

Great Old One
thats how you play the game. I like chilling with friend ps and getting in game rewards. Don’t demean what me and my table enjoy just because you have different tastes. Again I’m telling you to have some respect for other tables.

And I find it interesting that you say to have respect for other tables when at the same time hitting on @Oofta with "that's how you play the game" as if his way to play the game was not the right one...

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Er...wha?

There's no jackknifing - it's called balancing potential risk vs potential reward, both as a group and as individuals.

If you're going to get the reward anywa (xp, or levels) without any reference to the risk taken, there's no incentive at all to take risks. End result: the players who have their characters hang back and not take risks end up seeing those characters do better in the long run in terms of wealth and experience than those who step up and take the risks, as those who take the risks are more likely the ones who end up dead (thus missing sessions and thus missing out on xp) and-or otherwise needing expensive repairs (thus hitting them in the pocketbook).

And, as I said earlier, if nobody steps up and takes the risks the game will quickly grind to a halt.
This is still odd to me. ITs like the only way forward is through facing traps and enemies face first. I want my players to consider all their options. If they can find a workaround, diplomatic solution, or a way to pit factions against each other, why shouldnt they be rewarded for taking a smarter, albeit, safer path?

Oofta

Legend
thats how you play the game. I like chilling with friend ps and getting in game rewards. Don’t demean what me and my table enjoy just because you have different tastes. Again I’m telling you to have some respect for other tables.
This ... wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular at all. I personally find XP boring paperwork. I primarily play because I enjoy hanging out with friends and making new ones. I made an attempt at humor.

How is any of that demeaning or telling other people they're doing anything wrong?

This ... wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular at all. I personally find XP boring paperwork. I primarily play because I enjoy hanging out with friends and making new ones. I made an attempt at humor.

How is any of that demeaning or telling other people they're doing anything wrong?
Because of the implications of your words.

If two people are having a conversation wherein they discuss their issues with something, and you go into their conversation and say, with a smilie-face emoji, that you have no problem because you get SO MUCH enjoyment out of the activity that its flaws don't matter, you are being demeaning. This is demeaning because you are telling these people that their complaints don't matter because you have a lot of fun with it playing with your friends, and that so long as you can do that, you don't care about their complaints.

That is a fine position to take, but specifically telling people that is no different from saying that their opinions and experiences don't matter to you because they aren't yours, so why should they even bother saying them? That is the implication made from your words.

I don't think you, Oofta, are a malicious person by the way. I quite like you, even though we butt heads a lot in these threads, but the language + emoji with your earlier post will almost always read as passive aggressive demeaning, even if that were not your intent.

Note I'm not trying to backseat mod here. I'm just stating that responding to people by nullifying their experiences is not the way for any of us to enjoy this conversation, and saying that people's problems don't matter to you because you're getting fun out of playing with your friends so nothing else matters is a nullification of someone else's experience.

Actually it did deserve that, since basically the only intent of the post was threadcrapping on the tune of "5e is flawed".
So if someone says 5E is flawed, you're allowed to tell them that they are just DMing wrong and that they don't know what they're talking about? What kind of belligerent stance is that to take?

Remove ads