• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Levitate is a save-or-die spell

G

Guest 6801328

Welcome back to the main topic! Might want to turn down the smug factor a few notches, it's not working as intended and you're getting some feedback.

Really? You're slinging accusations about my tone after this:

Never took intro to magic, huh?

Seriously, you're demonstrating why physics isn't the guiding principal for this topic.

Given that at that point we were in fact talking about physics, not magic, your comment suggested to me you had skimmed the thread. At least, that was the most generous explanation I could come up with.

And what "main topic" are you welcoming me back to? Piling on Max for never backing down? I didn't realize that was the purpose of this thread.

So, yeah, "people who throw stones" and all that.

Oofta

Legend
A good way to make yourself move while levitating!!

But can you cast levitate on a stone that is being thrown at you with a readied action? If you do, what happens?

If it's mass is nullified temporarily (Magic!) then it stops moving forward. It also has no weight.

If it still has mass but is not being acted upon by gravity it has no weight. But the planet is still rotating, revolving around the sun and moving through space. Does it move in a semi-random direction relative to the planet and everyone else on it while still maintaining forward momentum?

Something else? Does it merely rise up 10 ft and continue on it's previous arc but in a straight line?

Inquiring minds want to know! :geek:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
But can you cast levitate on a stone that is being thrown at you with a readied action? If you do, what happens?

If it's mass is nullified temporarily (Magic!) then it stops moving forward. It also has no weight.

If it still has mass but is not being acted upon by gravity it has no weight. But the planet is still rotating, revolving around the sun and moving through space. Does it move in a semi-random direction relative to the planet and everyone else on it while still maintaining forward momentum?

Something else? Does it merely rise up 10 ft and continue on it's previous arc but in a straight line?

Inquiring minds want to know! :geek:
It gets disadvantage to hit and you get advantage to your concentration. ;)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Really? You're slinging accusations about my tone after this:

Let's review what led me to the point where I thought it was fair to call you out for being smug:

1) Elfcrusher wants you to know he is smarter than NASA:

And I have admit, I'm rather stunned that nasa.gov is hosting a page...even if it is intended for lay audiences and kids...that conflates the terms.

2) Elfcrusher thinks so highly of his own opinion he wants you to know he once argued with a Nobel laureate physicist about physics when he was young and he's still bothered by it:

Then again, I once (as a much younger man) argued with a Nobel laureate physicist about whether or not there was any such thing as centrifugal force. I'm still irked about it.

3) People who disagree with Elfcrusher on this topic know less than even an intro to physics class:

Never took intro physics, huh?

4) People who disagree with Elfcrusher on this topic are in over their head:

he's in over his head.

5) Elfcrusher finds any excuse to tell people he is a former teacher on these topics, and how ignorant he thought his students were, even though it was entirely irrelevant to the conversation:

So true!

When I was teaching, my students thought a "hyperdrive" was an accessory for Apple computers, not something that could make your spaceship go faster than light.

Kids!

So yes Elfcrusher, after this many smug comments from you in this thread I thought we had finally reached the point where it was fair to point it out and mention you might want to turn it down because it was not having a good effect on your persuasiveness.

To which you replied with a final smug passive-aggressive zinger stating my disagreement with you must be sourced to my only skimming the thread (though we've gone back and forth for pages now) and that was the "most generous" explanation you could come up with, implying the other explanations were I was just not smart enough to keep up:

Given that at that point we were in fact talking about physics, not magic, your comment suggested to me you had skimmed the thread. At least, that was the most generous explanation I could come up with.

So yeah, smug is the right word for it I think though I suppose I could come up with a few other synonyms that could work just as well if you prefer.

If you were not self-examining, now is a great opportunity. I suspect this is not the first time in your life someone has dared to call you smug. This is not a new observation about your opinion of yourself and how you sometimes communicate to others, is it? I am guessing it's something you told yourself at some point you wanted to work on, so maybe take it to heart now in this fairly safe environment and try to tone it down a tad? Because I can say it's not coming across well right now.

G

Guest 6801328

Let's review what led me to the point where I thought it was fair to call you out for being smug:

1) Elfcrusher wants you to know he is smarter than NASA:

2) Elfcrusher thinks so highly of his own opinion he wants you to know he once argued with a Nobel laureate physicist about physics when he was young and he's still bothered by it:

3) People who disagree with Elfcrusher on this topic know less than even an intro to physics class:

4) People who disagree with Elfcrusher on this topic are in over their head:

5) Elfcrusher finds any excuse to tell people he is a former teacher on these topics, and how ignorant he thought his students were, even though it was entirely irrelevant to the conversation:

So yes Elfcrusher, after this many smug comments from you in this thread I thought we had finally reached the point where it was fair to point it out and mention you might want to turn it down because it was not having a good effect on your persuasiveness.

To which you replied with a final smug passive-aggressive zinger stating my disagreement with you must be sourced to my only skimming the thread (though we've gone back and forth for pages now) and that was the "most generous" explanation you could come up with, implying the other explanations were I was just not smart enough to keep up:

So yeah, smug is the right word for it I think though I suppose I could come up with a few other synonyms that could work just as well if you prefer.

If you were not self-examining, now is a great opportunity. I suspect this is not the first time in your life someone has dared to call you smug. This is not a new observation about your opinion of yourself and how you sometimes communicate to others, is it? I am guessing it's something you told yourself at some point you wanted to work on, so maybe take it to heart now in this fairly safe environment and try to tone it down a tad? Because I can say it's not coming across well right now.

Lol.

I don't use the "report" button, but your train is way off the rails.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads