LG vs. CN: Chaotic Neutral Advances!

Greybar

No Trouble at All
Son of a wyrm! Shimmy gives him a blast of gas breath more out of frustration than calculation, and pumps his wings with great blasts as he surges up into the air.

and while Fang may well be able to track, he'll go to:
[sblock]
100n5e140z
[/sblock]

Gansk

Explorer
Fang ignores the gas (42 Fort save).

Shimmy:[sblock]You can breathe again in round 39. I assume you mean 40Z, not 140Z.[/sblock]

Fang:[sblock]You hear flapping to the northwest.[/sblock]

Fang heals to 215 hp and starts round 38.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Fang breathes deeply. "Ah, is that a hint of fear I smell in that gas? Waitaminnit, what did you have for breakfast?" Fang then . . .
[sblock] . . . attempts to following by flying northwest. Hopefully, Shimmy will soon show up on blindsense and the Fang will move in for the tail slap. [/sblock]

Greybar

No Trouble at All
Sadly no - but thanks for the post which triggered a very guilty-looking notification. :)
I'll say more in the Shearing Pen.

Gansk
[sblock]
Here's my thinking - Shimmy knows he can't afford to go toe-to-toe with Fang given the damage we've seen (and the trip from previous combatants), unless he can weaken Fang significantly first (but the gas breath can't get through). The first spell rebounded very dangerously, and he knows that even if that was a 1/day special ability the dragon's spell resistance is likely to make offensive spells useless. All his neutral/buff spells are loaded. Wearing down Fang via repeated fire breath is a very long slow possibility.

However, Shimmy is the general and Fang is not - so a draw is as good as a win, and the constant movement and greater invisibility can make that work. So to shorten this (particularly with my low posting rate) I'd recommend that we queue up a plan like the multiple moves we did over the holidays. I do worry about needing five consecutive misses need.

So here's the plan - start swapping between corners 120n0e and 0n120e alternating altitude as much as possible in hopes Fang can't climb altitude as fast as Shimmy can. When breath recycles, keep hitting him with weakness gas hoping for a failure. Use Cure Moderate when hit (and not ready with breath) and renewing Greater Invisibility as needed.

What can't be queued up is the fallback plan if say 10 turns go by with no progress on the attempted draw - which will mean starting to probe the spell turning effect with magic missiles to see if it is still there and how painful it might be to wear it down to where a dismissal could be tried.

If the weakness gas gets through we can break out of cycle and give a knock-down drag out a try too...

So does this make sense?
[/sblock]

Gansk

Explorer
Greybar:[sblock]Let me propose an alternative strategy: ask for a "real" draw with Fang. That way LG and Shimmy save face, and your ally CG has one less opponent that he needs to defeat on his way to TBoAA victory.[/sblock]

Greybar

No Trouble at All
Shimmy calls out in his deep golden voice as he wings through the air:

"Fang, we both know that if I avoid you for a while longer then by the laws laid down upon this arena you will be dismissed and I will face your successor. And yet you may still be able to find me just often enough to wear me down even past the point of my own considerable healing, while still resisting the breath which would leave you weak enough for me to fight you directly. In either case it shall be a long, long affair."

"I offer you this - a proper and lawful draw. We both depart the arena, and the forces of Lawful Good concede defeat to your energetic forces of chaos."

"What say you?"

Remove ads