D&D (2024) Lifetime boycott of D&D-branded products?

Nobody is asking anyone to burn their books or their iPhones. You do whatever you feel is right for you, that’s all that can be expected of anyone.
again, I understand what the situation is... and that there will be people who call for a boycott and then go buy 1D&D (and I'm not sold fully on that yet)
You gave other companies you don’t boycott as your reasoning for deciding not to boycott WotC.
no I didn't, I agreed with the idea though.
The implication there is that others who do boycott WotC and don’t boycott those other companies are being inconsistent.
inconsistent I think is a better word for it then hypocrisy

I'm sure with about 2 minutes of googling I can find an example of a well known Western company who's products (or components) are manufactured with Chinese prison labor. The point stands. The WotC situation is s--tty, but it's not a literal crime against humanity. Regardless, we all get to choose where to focus our outrage.
IF I only did business' with companies that 100% do what I consider 'good' I think I could not survive in this world

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
How about a ‘lifetime boycott’ from purchasing new D&D-branded products?

As I just mentioned in another thread.

Your only leverage with WotC is your wallet. If your tell WotC you will NEVER purchase D&D branded products, they no longer need to care about what you think.

They might care if you say, "I won't buy your stuff until you make it right," because then you are still a potential wallet, and still have leverage.

As I just mentioned in another thread.

Your only leverage with WotC is your wallet. If your tell WotC you will NEVER purchase D&D branded products, they no longer need to care about what you think.

They might care if you say, "I won't buy your stuff until you make it right," because then you are still a potential wallet, and still have leverage.
That’s a fine strategy, but I’m just speakin’ my truth.

After a demeaning experience at Wal-Mart, I vowed to never shop at or set foot in a Wal-Mart again. And I’ve honored that for a decade or more. I don’t care whether my parting words were ‘optimally crafted’ to leverage a future change in Wal-Mart or not. I’m a-just movin’ on to other pastures.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That’s a fine strategy, but I’m just speakin’ my truth.

You already said that elsewhere. I already said that's fine.

I am not trying to convince you, personally, of anything. If necessary, consider that, while I was responding to your words, you are not my post's target audience. I am giving other people food for thought.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
IF I only did business' with companies that 100% do what I consider 'good' I think I could not survive in this world
Truth.

How many boycotters are going to order their non DnD books printed in China by a person on their 78th hour of work for the week and expect it delivered in two days by some delivery driver out working at 10pm because an Amazon order can't be late.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
"Nothing's perfect so we shouldn't have any moral or ethical standards about what we buy." seems an odd take, and I will assume that most of the posters upthread and elsewhere who sound like that don't mean it to sound so extreme.

I will admit that it often seems like the stands one finds oneself taking probably often look more rational on the personal level than when dissected carefully with a global perspective - both in terms of the problem being addressed and the impact of the choice. Doing something small that might make a positive difference is still doing something that might make a positive difference though.

Last edited:

MGibster

Legend
After a demeaning experience at Wal-Mart, I vowed to never shop at or set foot in a Wal-Mart again. And I’ve honored that for a decade or more. I don’t care whether my parting words were ‘optimally crafted’ to leverage a future change in Wal-Mart or not. I’m a-just movin’ on to other pastures.
I had a terrible experience at Circuit City and I refused to shop there ever again. Nearly twenty years later, they went out of business. Coincidence? Probably. By the time they went out of business I had forgotten what they did to piss me off so much to begin with.

I have to agree with @Umbran on this one. If someone declares they're never going to buy D&D products ever again, why would WotC care what you think? A boycott works by applying pressure, if you're not a customer you've got no way to apply pressure.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
"Nothing's perfect so we shouldn't have any moral or ethical standards about what we buy." seems an odd take, and I will assume that most of the posters upthread and elsewhere who sound like that don't mean it to sound so extreme.

I will admit that it often seems like the stands one finds oneself taking probably often look more rational on the personal level than when dissected carefully with a global perspective - both in terms of the problem being addressed and the impact of the choice. Doing something small that might make a positive difference is still doing something that might make a positive difference though.
It's less "nothing us perfect" and more "this is fairly tame" among all the potential issues to be concerned with in the world, and there are plenty.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
It's less "nothing us perfect" and more "this is fairly tame" among all the potential issues to be concerned with in the world, and there are plenty.
Yes. Yes there are :-(

I bet we forget that a lot when cut off in traffic, or having a package stolen, needing to wait for the *&($ 10k or bike race to end and stop blocking the streets, or the neighbor with the fireworks to give it a rest too.

Remove ads