D&D 5E List of All 33 Races in Mordenkainen's Monsters of the Multiverse

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books. Aarackocra Assimar Bugbear Centaur Changeling Deep Gnome Duergar Eladrin Fairy Firbolg Genasi, Air Genasi, Earth Genasi, Fire Gennasi, Water Githyanki Githzerai Goblin Goliath Harengon Hobgoblin Kenku Kobold Lizardfolk Minotaur Orc Satyr Sea Elf Shadar Kai Shifter Tabaxi...

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books.

greg-rutkowski-monsters-of-the-multiverse-1920.jpg

• Aarackocra
  • Assimar
  • Bugbear
  • Centaur
  • Changeling
  • Deep Gnome
  • Duergar
  • Eladrin
  • Fairy
  • Firbolg
  • Genasi, Air
  • Genasi, Earth
  • Genasi, Fire
  • Gennasi, Water
  • Githyanki
  • Githzerai
  • Goblin
  • Goliath
  • Harengon
  • Hobgoblin
  • Kenku
  • Kobold
  • Lizardfolk
  • Minotaur
  • Orc
  • Satyr
  • Sea Elf
  • Shadar Kai
  • Shifter
  • Tabaxi
  • Turtle
  • Triton
  • Yuan-ti

While reprinted, these races have all been updated to the current standard used by WotC for D&D races used in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, including a free choice of ability score increases (increase one by 2 points and another by 1 point; or increase three by 1 point), and small races not suffering a movement speed penalty.

The video below from Nerd Immersion delves into the races in more detail.

Vael

Legend
Incarnum was my favorite addon system after psionics. I think we had 4 Incarnists in our games, they had a very fresh feel about them.
I quite liked Incarnum, although the fluff was a little weird, and I hated how it messed with Magic Items, the idea of shifting energy between a few always active abilities that could be changed every long rest definitely intrigued me.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Looking over the changes . . . I like (or I'm indifferent towards) basically all of them.

I never liked Sunlight Sensitivity (didn't Drizzt eventually lose it in the books?), thought reduced speed without any balancing benefits for the smaller races was boring (Dwarves at least got the benefit of wearing Heavy Armor with 12- Strength and no penalties), and I like having more innate spellcasting and being able to cast those spells with any ability score you want and any spell slots you might already have.

I also love most of the changes to the Genasi (though I'd definitely allow players to switch out some of the innate spells if they want, like Acid Splash for Shape Water, Flame Blade for Flaming Sphere, and similar examples), and especially like allowing them to be Medium or Small, which makes them be pseudo-lineages (I would have liked if they had gotten the full lineage deal, but what we have now works).

I'm interested in seeing how they approach Shifters and Aasimar subraces if they're truly permanently dropping subraces from the game, so I'll wait until then to form my opinions on them.

I love Goblinoids getting Fey Ancestry, and will definitely use this updated version for my Eberron campaign's Dhakaani Goblin Creation Bard.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I found it.

"The size trait will become more flexible–harengon, for instance, can choose to be medium or small, others will have the following new text: “Player characters, regardless of race, typically fall into the same ranges of height and weight that humans have in our world. If you’d like to determine your character’s height or weight randomly, consult the Random Height and Weight table in the Player’s Handbook, and choose the row in the table that best represents the build you imagine for your character.”"

So 6 foot halflings and gnomes. :(

Source: D&D: WotC Unveils New Rules For Monsters And Player Races

Man, from this thread you’d barely know that WotC is just releasing a monster book, and one that’s mostly just a refresh of previously released stuff.

Apparently that’s cause to relitigate 3 previous editions, play testing for 5e 8 years ago, and the entire architecture and philosophy of the game.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I found it.

"The size trait will become more flexible–harengon, for instance, can choose to be medium or small, others will have the following new text: “Player characters, regardless of race, typically fall into the same ranges of height and weight that humans have in our world. If you’d like to determine your character’s height or weight randomly, consult the Random Height and Weight table in the Player’s Handbook, and choose the row in the table that best represents the build you imagine for your character.”"

Note the "others will have the following new text" and the "typically" in that quote there. It never said "all player characters fall into this general range". They still have always small races. Fairies are a new race, and they're listed as Small in their racial stats, not "Small or Medium" like some other newer races. The same applies to Goblins and Kobolds in this new book, too.

So, no, this is a lie. Gnomes and Halflings will not be 6 feet tall in the revised PHB.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I found it.

I am asking this seriously: that is really in there? Or you are joking. I initially laughed but now have bad feeling this is actually there….

DataDwarf

Explorer
Looking through the changes to the various races it appears to me that they could all have been made using the custom lineage rules from Tasha's. If the only difference between any of the races is how they appear why even have races? Just use the custom lineage as the way to build a character and drop all of the races.

Edit: grammar

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads