D&D 5E List of All 33 Races in Mordenkainen's Monsters of the Multiverse

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books. Aarackocra Assimar Bugbear Centaur Changeling Deep Gnome Duergar Eladrin Fairy Firbolg Genasi, Air Genasi, Earth Genasi, Fire Gennasi, Water Githyanki Githzerai Goblin Goliath Harengon Hobgoblin Kenku Kobold Lizardfolk Minotaur Orc Satyr Sea Elf Shadar Kai Shifter Tabaxi...

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books.

greg-rutkowski-monsters-of-the-multiverse-1920.jpg

• Aarackocra
  • Assimar
  • Bugbear
  • Centaur
  • Changeling
  • Deep Gnome
  • Duergar
  • Eladrin
  • Fairy
  • Firbolg
  • Genasi, Air
  • Genasi, Earth
  • Genasi, Fire
  • Gennasi, Water
  • Githyanki
  • Githzerai
  • Goblin
  • Goliath
  • Harengon
  • Hobgoblin
  • Kenku
  • Kobold
  • Lizardfolk
  • Minotaur
  • Orc
  • Satyr
  • Sea Elf
  • Shadar Kai
  • Shifter
  • Tabaxi
  • Turtle
  • Triton
  • Yuan-ti

While reprinted, these races have all been updated to the current standard used by WotC for D&D races used in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, including a free choice of ability score increases (increase one by 2 points and another by 1 point; or increase three by 1 point), and small races not suffering a movement speed penalty.

The video below from Nerd Immersion delves into the races in more detail.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
You're right, Fiban's does have quite a bit of lore in it. I guess I was blinded by the fact that I hate pretty much all of it. I strongly dislike the First World and everything associated with it.
That's what I've been saying for a while now. There have been a ton of people using extreme and untrue hyperbole like "I guess all races are now exactly the same" and "WotC won't give us any lore anymore" because they dislike the recent changes. And I totally understand not liking the changes. I don't like a few of them, don't love a lot of the lore they've published in 5e, and I think they could be doing better than they are. I get not liking how D&D is now. But people use their being unsatisfied with current D&D to lie about it, saying "WotC will lose a ton of money for doing these changes", "D&D is no longer D&D anymore", and the like.

And while I can get why they're saying stuff like this and wholly understand not liking these changes . . . that kind of talk is absolute BS, and is made up by the people that just want to rant about things that they don't like and take it to an extreme where they have now left reality and are attacking a strawman.

And I don't claim to be perfect about this, either. I have fallen into the same trap, as well as the opposite of it.
The other books you mention, whether you like the lore or not, all predate the social media storm that started WotC on their apology tour.
I know that. I was just pointing out successful examples of WotC having lore for the different D&D races in their setting-specific locations. Those books worked, made WotC a lot of money, and I don't expect them to ditch a working formula. I haven't seen anyone ever online ask/demad that WotC stop putting any cultures in their books, and the books that did have the cultures detailed were extremely successful, so I just don't see why WotC would stop doing it.
WotC's actions since Tasha's have led me to completely lose faith in their ability to deliver quality product, and these reprints and re-imagingings they are doing or have planned just confirm that for me. I'm sorry you're tired of hearing it, and I'm happy for you that you happen to like almost everything they're doing, but that's what I see.
One of my closest friends shares the same opinion, and I understand it. However, to me, if the new D&D books continue to sell well, new players keep coming to the hobby, and keeps D&D becoming more profitable than ever . . . that makes me think that "delivering a quality product" is extremely subjective, and that the vast majority of players either don't care about the recent changes, or are overwhelmingly in favor of them.

The way that people talk negatively on these changes borders on "badwrongfun", in my view. I can admit that even though I may like the majority of these changes, there are legitimate things to dislike about them, and it's okay to dislike the ones that I like. I'm fine with that. However, most of the time what I hear from the "other side" (the ones that are against the changes), it seems to be more "these changes are ruining D&D, people who like them are playing wrong/want D&D to stop being good, and WotC is 'pandering' to people online that have nothing to do with the hobby", which directly contrasts my experience in the game and the evidence of how successful D&D 5e continues to be after these changes.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Never even seen point buy in play.
I only use Point Buy/Standard Array. Too many of my games have had imbalance inside the party due to wildly divergent rolled ability scores. Once there was a guy in a two-person campaign that didn't roll a single ability score below 15, and the other didn't roll above 14, and got 3 scores with a negative modifier (one was a -3).

Last edited:

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Really? Sell me a world. Sell me a history. Sell me adventure hooks steeped in lore that is consistent, researched, and deep.

I'll take a cool fake mythology over a 'real' mythology pretty much any day of the week, if the creator actually put some effort and love into it.
I'm kind a the opposite.

I look at all the books as bits and pieces in a toolkit to build my campaign setting. I might use some "standard" lore. Might not.

We (our group) find a lot of arguments about things go away if you look at the books as a selection of things to choose, not all of them will be in the same campaign.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I only use Point Buy/Standard Array. Too many of my games have had imbalance inside the party due to wildly divergent rolled ability scores. Once there was a guy in a two-person campaign that didn't roll a single ability score below 15, and the other didn't roll above 14, and got 3 scores with a negative modifier (one was a -3).
Rolling a "bad" character can be very fun in practice: the masses don't make as big a difference in 5E as all that, 5E is balanced enough to allow for that just fine. AndMulligans if desired are usually an observed houserule for truly terrible rolls.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
That's what I've been saying for a while now. There have been a ton of people using extreme and untrue hyperbole like "I guess all races are now exactly the same" and "WotC won't give us any lore anymore" because they dislike the recent changes. And I totally understand not liking the changes. I don't like a few of them, don't love a lot of the lore they've published in 5e, and I think they could be doing better than they are. I get not liking how D&D is now. But people use their being unsatisfied with current D&D to lie about it, saying "WotC will lose a ton of money for doing these changes", "D&D is no longer D&D anymore", and the like.

And while I can get why they're saying stuff like this and wholly understand not liking these changes . . . that kind of talk is absolute BS, and is made up by the people that just want to rant about things that they don't like and take it to an extreme where they have now left reality and are attacking a strawman.

And I don't claim to be perfect about this, either. I have fallen into the same trap, as well as the opposite of it.

I know that. I was just pointing out successful examples of WotC having lore for the different D&D races in their setting-specific locations. Those books worked, made WotC a lot of money, and I don't expect them to ditch a working formula. I haven't seen anyone ever online ask/demad that WotC stop putting any cultures in their books, and the books that did have the cultures detailed were extremely successful, so I just don't see why WotC would stop doing it.

One of my closest friends shares the same opinion, and I understand it. However, to me, if the new D&D books continue to sell well, new players keep coming to the hobby, and keeps D&D becoming more profitable than ever . . . that makes me think that "delivering a quality product" is extremely subjective, and that the vast majority of players either don't care about the recent changes, or are overwhelmingly in favor of them.

The way that people talk negatively on these changes borders on "badwrongfun", in my view. I can admit that even though I may like the majority of these changes, there are legitimate things to dislike about them, and it's okay to dislike the ones that I like. I'm fine with that. However, most of the time what I hear from the "other side" (the ones that are against the changes), it seems to be more "these changes are ruining D&D, people who like them are playing wrong/want D&D to stop being good, and WotC is 'pandering' to people online that have nothing to do with the hobby", which directly contrasts my experience in the game and the evidence of how successful D&D 5e continues to be after these changes.
I actually think WotC will probably do fine financially with this new direction. They will be doing so largely without me, however, and I think that's sad. They are ruining D&D, for me. I also dont have a problem with people playing what they like, even if I really, really dont like it personally. That being said, there is plenty of 3rd party product I do like, and which forms the basis of my game.

Remove ads

Remove ads