SF Little House In The Vast

Kaodi

Adventurer
The woman is somewhat rough looking, as one would expect for a bandit, but she is not seem very old, with a slender frame, shaggy dirty blonde hair, and skin tanned by time spent outdoors. The glances briefly at the other human, the male, slumped against a barricade, before looking away. She accepts the restraints without complaint.

"Less than ten of us in all, and you already iced three and nabbed me," she says quietly, eyes cast downward. "We got a big ship but not a big crew, not that that there was much left of it when we moved in. We haven't really done much with the place either."

Sparky goes out and looks around, but the droid is not able to find any holes to get through. The engine wells were sealed up pretty tight. Once someone has a look at the door in the hold though, they will see that there is a control panel adjacent to it with functioning screens that light up when engaged with.
 

Kaodi

Adventurer
For a few moments the control system seems unresponsive but then a prompt pops up asking for an override code. You input the combinations from the package and then the screen colour changes from a dull orange to luminous green and you are in. From there it is simply enough to switch the lights in the bay on, and they flicker to life in distinct stages.

The bay is large, as you would expect for a freighter of this size. But it seem mostly... empty. There are the two buggies, and a scattering of open, unused crates. There is also a lot of dust, obviously blown in from outside due to this hold being used as an ersatz entryway. The prisoner briefly looks up to take a look around as well. "The boss told us to keep the lights in here off," she says, "Something about making it less inviting to anyone nosing around." She pauses a moment, glancing around at you. "This big tub does not have much, it was stripped when we got here, but it does have power."
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
Zyzzy asks, "Has there been many folk 'nosing around'?" (She says the quoted text practically in the women own voice, certainly with the exact same inflection.) "How much has been stripped?"
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Now that the battle is over, at least for now, and another person is present, Sobec once more becomes rather quiet. He moves the prisoner around somewhat roughly, but not too much so. The vesk positions her so that it is easier to address Zyzzy and Skitter.

Meanwhile Sobec looks around the now lit bay. He is curious what the bandits used the empty crates for, or what was in it before they opened them, but he does not interrupt the interrogation the android and the ysoki are conducting.
 

Kaodi

Adventurer
The woman gives you brief dirty look at the implied mockery before shaking her head. "Everything but the power core," she answers. "I'm not really the fix-it type, I don't know if it was too big or dangerous to move or whatnot."

There is nothing about the crates that makes it immediately apparent what they were used for. Given the location of the ship it is possible that they were for foodstuffs or some sort, but this is a pretty big ship for the crop sizes likely to be found around here.
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
Zyzzy asks, "Again, has there been many folk 'nosing around'?"

"Where do you suspect your crewmates have retreated to?"

OOC: I ask multiple questions to speed the posting of info. I assume there are answers between questions. Zyzzy is not peppering the woman with a barrage of questions.

Is there a computer terminal around? Would Zyzzy know the default layout of this ship (she rolled well earlier to identify it)?
 

Kaodi

Adventurer
"A few," she says. "A couple were from the settlement. We roughed 'em up and sent 'em packing. Can't press them too far though, 'cause we still needed supplies from there from time to time. Some outsiders thou-" The woman suddenly bites her tongue, thinking maybe she has said too much.

"Maybe the guys are further along the the cargo deck, maybe the next floor, who knows?" she says of her fellow bandits. "You wanna find out, go look yourself. I've done enough snitching."

OOC: There is the console Tara used to turn on the lights.

Zyzzy has an idea, from her past experience and just looking at the ship. Along the bottom deck you have basically a long hallway with a number of blast doors at various intervals, though these would only be engaged to prevent air loss, fires, or other catastrophic damage, with the engineering bay at the back. The next couple decks would be facilities and quarters, with the bridge deck at the top.

As a practical matter there is probably no way I can actually make an actual deck plan for the ship. A large ship is really big, and the scale does not entirely make sense either.
 
Skitter's nose twitches as he sees Tara input some codes into the computer system and the display go green. He listens to Zyzzy continue to question the captive but moves over towards the terminal. He smiles at Tara.

"Hey mind if I take a look?"

Skitter pulls a cable from a port on his prosthetic arm and plugs into the terminal. Once the connection is established the holographic keyboard appears and the ysoki taps some commands out. Skitters tail begins to twitch impatiently while he waits for the diagnostics scan to complete and him to gain access.

OOC: I want to access the terminal and try to tap into the ships internal sensors. Also going to run a quick diagnostics on the systems to see what other things I can access or find. I'd also like to tap into the internal coms of the ship if possible.

Computer roll: 1d20+9 21
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
"So if the ship is stripped, what are these people doing here? There must be something worth defending that they have pulled back to defend. So what is that? Where would they want to defend against us reaching? Normally I would say we need to get to the bridge. But the bridge is useless without engines. Do you wish to tell me what is up there they want to defend."

(assuming she repeats her "I've said to much" stance....)

Zyzzy levels her pistol at the woman. "So you are saying you are of no more use to me? I don't always understand colloquialisms but I believe you are of no use to me. I suppose there are always slavers. You might be worth a few credits. Not sure I want to deal with slavers. You probably aren't worth that time."

OOC: Bluff I suppose, though Zyzzy considers it Diplomacy. She is just stating facts. But they are the same roll.
Bluff/Diplomacy [roll0]

Life Science [roll1] Has Zyzzy learned anything about "culture" of these people. So far she guesses they aren't tight knit since they just abandoned the woman. Can Zyzzy determine anything else about them?


(If the woman says "you won't shot me", she gets shot, aim for a leg. If she talks, Zyzzy might have followup questions. If not she turns to the others. If the woman says nothing, Zyzzy turns to the others and ignores the woman from here on out.)

"I know this ship design, assuming a stock build. But for the most part, we are on the lower deck and it just runs from stern to bow. The levels above that level are living quarter and the bridge is up top. I doubt they are on the bridge, so I suspect they will be gathered in a lounge near the living quarters. So far, they don't seem to care much about one another. So I suspect whatever "treasure" they have is in their individual living quarters and not in a central location. The boss probably has the most."
 

Kaodi

Adventurer
The ship does not have much in the way of internal sensors, but you are able to ascertain that there is activity of some kind taking place further along on this deck and on the bridge. Someone appears to have detected your connection and attempts to circumvent your hack but you easily overcome their weak attempt at countermeasures.

Meanwhile the woman puts her hands up in front of her face and cowers away a bit. "Come on, we done a bit of looting, but we're not hiding anything. We're out here in the middle of nowhere, and there is a big, empty ship within spittin' distance of a town, of course we moved in. It's just a hangout, a base."

Suddenly just as Skitter is tapping into the comms there is a brief crackle and pop and they come to life: "Go ahead and shoot her," says a brusque female voice with a distinct Castrovellian accent. "You wash out of basic training so fast they did not get to keeping your damned eyes open, Gistanne? If you're not dead the next time I see you - I can change that. And the rest of you, you can get out of my damned ship!"
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
"To whom do I have the pleasure of speaking," Zyzzy said flatly. "You are mistaken. We have the papers of ownership for this craft and it is you who are trespassing. Vacate the premises forthwith." She makes a cutting motion across her throat and points to the intercom controls in front of Skitter. When they are turned off, she says, "Yes, I know that won't work." She turns to Gistanne, "Charming fellow. You might want to rethink how you make friends."
 
Tara frowns, thinking the situation over, then turned to Gistanne, deciding to slide into the role of good cop. "I noticed a Castrovellian accent - are they on planet or in the system or communicating via Drift beacon, and if they decide to come here in force how many can we expect? Tell us what you know about who we just had a chat with and we'll let you go."

OOC: Diplomacy: 1d20 8

 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"Honour among thieves," Sobec mutters, but otherwise stays out of the interrogation verbally. He does relax his grip on the woman somewhat, as if appearing to cut her some slack after hearing her companion basically condemning her to death, but he does not let go.

The tiny star that orbits the vesk, and that was a weapon just a minute ago, starts circling around both Sobec and Gistanne; it is almost as if the orb has a mind of its own and is observing the prisoner.
 

Kaodi

Adventurer
"Are you nuts?" comes the bewildered reply. "Lashuntas do not just all stick together 'cause we talk alike. In any case, your ownership papers, if you even have any, mean squat out here. This is the frontier; out here, you have what you can hold. And right now I am holding this ship, and all you are holding is that waste of skin." There is a short pause. "But I'll tell you what, shoot her in the head right now and I will consider it your job application for my crew. A number of positions have, ah, opened up recently."

At that comment Gistanne makes a start towards the intercomm but she is easily restrained by Sobec. "Screw you, Hesala! When I get my hands on your you're gonna wish you got a bullet!"
 
Skitter cuts the comms as indicated. He continues to look at the systems looking for what is online and accessible. He makes sure the comms are off and no one will hear them.

"Well Red I'm trying to get access to the ships critical systems and transfer them to my rig. If I can I should be able to cut them off and isolate them." He waves towards the holo-display floating above his arm. "There is someone on the bridge my guess it's Hesala. The others are up ahead on this deck. My guess is setting up some form of welcome party."

OOC: So I want to see if I can get access to the blast doors and life-support systems. I'd also like to see if I can transfer all the system controls to my Custom Rig? If I can would I be able to us it to open and close blast doors and vent rooms from anywhere on the ship?

Here is a roll to try and make the transfer. If I need more rolls let me know.
Computer roll: 1d20+9 14
 

Kaodi

Adventurer
Transferring ships functions to your custom rig takes a bit of doing but you appear to have been at least mostly successful. You were not, however, able to cut off other potential users from access to the controls. So what you do can still possibly be circumvented by other users with root access.

"That psycho and her pet android too," growls Gistanne through gritted teeth.
 

Kaodi

Adventurer
"Are you going to kill me or not?" your prisoner asks flatly after a few moments. "I knew there was something wrong with that filter scum, she seemed a little too interested in that chromejob Cannister. She was always harsh, but I did not think she would sell any of us up the space lane so quickly..." she says trailing off.

In any case Skitter is able to punch in a few things on his arm and there is that whirring sound again as the bay door pops open. The hallway beyond is dark, but he is able to fix that as well. The first person to poke their head out is met with a single blast of laser fire. Maybe a warning shot, maybe not, but it definitely gets your attention.

OOC: We will assume that you have rested long enough to use your resolve to regain stamina at this point. Either you can keep talking or initiate combat.
 
Skitter pulls his head back and curses. He was hoping he could work his way around them but that didn't look like it was possible now.

"Damn and here I thought we might catch a break. Didn't want to have to fight these yahoos." He looks to the others. "What's the plan?"

OOC: Did I get a look at where the shot came from down the corridor? What was just through the door? Is there a blast door farther in that I could close so we can move towards them without taking fire?
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
"It is most likely we will have to fight these yahoos," Zyzzy says flatly, though there is a trace of a smile on her lips. "Let's tie this one up and leave out of listening range. For all we know she has a listening device the aforementioned yahoos are listening in on."

She turns to Tara, "The real question is if we really want to risk our lives trying to take possession of rather large objet d'art. Because this ship is far more similar to a statue than flying machine at the moment."
 

Advertisement

Top