Would you rather have all abilities recover on a:

• Short Rest

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • Long Rest

Votes: 47 67.1%

Asisreo

Patron Badass
I can boil it down to this however:
In my experience, most wizard players are able to leverage their utility spells and rituals to significant effect.
However, even on the wizard's worst day, when all their spell slots have been spent on combat and none of their rituals are applicable, they still have what the fighter does on their best day.
What kind of effect? Because if the effect is just to be convenient, I still don't see how they're necessarily some kind of paragon of utility.

But you know what, if you think having a massive selection of features with an opportunity cost of combat effectiveness as a means to demonstrate that they are great at the "exploration pillar" then I'll leave that to you.

But consider that not every player considers a long list of features to bog them down as a boon of utility but more like a drag of bookkeeping. If you think going through pages of spell descriptions to squeeze every spell/ritual's usefulness from your list is fun, that's fine. But its not so black and white that "Wizard has more feature makes Fighter worse than Wizard."

I can't stand playing Wizards and Bards for the exact reason that the burden of pages of utility and complex spells bog the game down since I have to track my 24 spells, my background, my personality, my items (mundane and otherwise), the lore, and have vague understandings of other characters. If I could turn those 24 spells with complex and intricate details into 11-12 spells with effects like "deal damage" and "paralyze enemy" then I'm much happier playing that character.

And the baseline for what a character can do in exploration, class notwithstanding, is so vast that any additional features created precisely for the give-and-take pillars are almost superfluous. I don't need a teleportation spell to go from one place to another, why sacrifice my 7th level slot to do so?

That's my opinion, though. And I feel like too mant people refuse to respect the opinions of people who don't like having a large list of features.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Can I take the time to mention that the comparison between Fighter : Captain America; Wizard : Thor/Scarlet Witch/Iron man/Doctor Strange is THE MOST ridiculous equivalency that could possibly be equated?
Man, I WISH fighters were allowed to be half as awesome as Cap.

Parkouring up tall buildings, ricocheting a thrown weapon so that thrown weapons aren't just a cruel money sink, attacking multiple enemies multiple times at once, having a reasonable amount of skills and some measure of tactical acumen reflected by mechanics better than the Battlemaster fails to do...

Considering the Champion still disgraces the class with its very being, I would settle for having a great butt instead.

For exploration? Find Familiar, invisibility and greater invisibility, just for a start.

That's not a Wizard, that's three spells. One 2nd level, and one 4th level (lasting for a minute).

How on earth is your Wizard going to use invisibility? It doesn't make him hidden by default, so he still needs Stealth (and a decent bonus) and to use the Hide action.

Are you seriously suggesting a Wizard casting invisibility and then sneaking up somewhere to scout, solo?

How is your Wizard dominating the Social pillar? Charm person with his Charisma of 8, no access to social skills by default, and making the target angry afterwards?

Wanting fighters to be good at exploration or social and them actually being as good at either as the major players are isn’t the same thing.

A fighter can’t touch a bard or rogue or wizard or even a warlock here

You're wrong.

Again, post this 7th level Wizard that outclasses a Fighter (let alone a Bard or Rogue) in the Social and Exploration pillar, while still also being able to perform in the Combat pillar.

Lets assume the context of a 6 or so combat encounter adventuring day, 2 short rests, cleaving closely to the Adventuring day XP budget for 7th level.

In addition to those combat encounters, there will be a Social encounter or two (chatting with a patron at the beginning, and a social encounter during the day that could turn nasty if the PCs dont RP well), and an environmental challenge or two (a raging river that needs to be crossed, and a cliff wall that needs to be scaled).

Do you want me to show you the entire Adventuring day in advance, so you can load out your Wizards spells with total foresight of the adventure?

I'll even give you that advantage.

Players who play Fighters (or Barbs) generally dont care for much else other than 'hit things hard'. If they want to create PCs that dominate outside the combat pillar, they can easily. It's just that most choose not to.
See this is where I don't agree.

I'm calling it "min-maxed" because you made a lot of extremely specific choices to make it function even that well. I don't agree that that Barbs or Fighters can do so easily.

I mean, don't get me wrong - do I like what you did? Yeah, but the issue is, you have to consciously decide to not go for the obvious combat-enhancing choices (different races, feats, stat positioning, archetypes), and go "GWM is good enough!" (which it is! I agree), to get to there. You have to be a fairly smart player with a pretty broad knowledge of stuff, using Tasha's (which I'm not criticising you for), and you have to "play against type".

This isn't the case with most casters. With most casters, you can lean full into your caster-hood, and pick only things which make you better at that (race, archetype, feats, stat positioning etc.), and then if you want utility, it usually just means picking different spells that day, or using different spells.

I also point to the level, because I feel your example really peaks at L7, hence you picking it. At higher levels, particularly 9 and beyond, full casters become so extremely powerful that bonuses to the odd skill check become increasingly irrelevant, and unless significant magic items are being rolled out, the Fighter's DPR is likely to start slipping as well.

But this is what it comes down to for me - I don't think what you did is "easy" or "obvious" to most players, and I think it means taking a lot of specific choices with a very specific goal in mind which runs contrary to the obvious paths, which isn't how most people play, in my experience.
Lets assume the context of a 6 or so combat encounter adventuring day, 2 short rests, cleaving closely to the Adventuring day XP budget for 7th level.
See again, I think you're trying to set conditions that are absolutely optimal for your character build, and acting like this "proves" you're right. It doesn't. 6 combat encounters? My god. D&D is allegedly balanced around 6-8 encounters, not "combat encounters", but six combat encounters is certainly going to favour a Fighter over most casters. Because short rests are 1hr, people don't always get them, and again, you're forcing it to be L7, because that's when this dude peaks.
Do you want me to show you the entire Adventuring day in advance, so you can load out your Wizards spells with total foresight of the adventure?
See, this is just reinforcing my point. You want to set all the terms, detail all the encounters, so you can make them maximally advantageous for your guy, and disadvantageous for casters or the like. Even if you say "That's not what I want!", how can we trust you on this? You're not a neutral arbiter. You have a dog in this race, and have been walking around telling everyone how amazing your dog is!

There's also the issue that you're part of a party, which is usually where Fighters and the like fall down, because even if they invest resources in having some out-of-combat stuff other than Athletics, they're usually second or third best at it, at most, so are better off using Help Another to give the person who is actually good at it Advantage. If the Fighter is ONE specific archetype (Battlemaster) and has picked one/two specific manoeuvres (Commanding Presence/Tactical Assessment), there's a chance they might be the best person for the job, if they're not in with certain other characters.

What you're really making the case for is maybe all Fighters should have been Battlemasters by default or most Fighter archetypes built off Battlemaster.

Last edited:

The fighter he briefly described is far from minmaxed, the wizard you described by contrast exists beside the quantum ogre and is all things at all times "mate". Why the resistance to supporting your position in good faith discussion?
One person setting all the terms of the discussion is not a "good faith" discussion, dude. Come on. The whole "7th level" thing is bizarre and doesn't strike me as at all "good faith".
There's room for disagreement but when the average damageof greataxe+GWM (not even needing maxed str) & the average damage of one handed longsword & shield meets or exceeds a maximized disintegrate there is a problem. This post I linked to earlier details the math but there is exactly one way to maximize a spell in 5e & that method is to roll 33-34 on the wild surge table(phb104) as a wild magic sorcerer after qualifying to roll on that table & 6th level spell slots start at 1 slot/long rest at level 11 then jump to 2 at 19/20 while action surge is 1/ short rest from level 2-16 when it jumps to 2/short rest from 18 on. This is an example of the massive gap that does not even need awesome legendary/artifact type weapons to create
I've read your post and it doesn't prove anything like QF. That's not remotely a reasonable claim. There's no "massive gap". What are you even talking about? This whole thing where you're pretending AOE spells don't exist and/or can't factor in is particularly bizarre and hilarious. You also show the values of the lower hit percentages, but seem to think Fighters operate solely in the higher ones, which is... not factual. The stuff re: magic weapons is just getting into Pepe Silvia territory in the most literal way possible.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
See, this is just reinforcing my point. You want to set all the terms, detail all the encounters, so you can make them maximally advantageous for your guy, and disadvantageous for casters or the like. Even if you say "That's not what I want!", how can we trust you on this? You're not a neutral arbiter. You have a dog in this race, and have been walking around telling everyone how amazing your dog is!
Personally, I'm curious what this caster actually looks like and how they function. Even if he isn't a neutral arbiter, someone in this forum is close to neutral or is cognizant enough to call him out on any foul play arguments afterwords.

I'm serious when I say I don't see any real spells that can be seen as a necessity to a group, so I'd love to see what these specific spells are.

And sure, I'll put them to the stress test as well, like if you have Invisibility, I'd call out its limitations, but if your Wizard is so overwhelmingly good, they should easily survive it without everything being torn apart.

Personally, I'm curious what this caster actually looks like and how they function. Even if he isn't a neutral arbiter, someone in this forum is close to neutral or is cognizant enough to call him out on any foul play arguments afterwords.

I'm serious when I say I don't see any real spells that can be seen as a necessity to a group, so I'd love to see what these specific spells are.

And sure, I'll put them to the stress test as well, like if you have Invisibility, I'd call out its limitations, but if your Wizard is so overwhelmingly good, they should easily survive it without everything being torn apart.
I mean, I get this, but if I was asked the question "Who is the most consistently pro-caster-biased-seeming person on the entire ENworld forum", I would think, well, you. You've also demonstrated some pretty dogged determination in suggesting corner-case situations are the norm in a number of threads (which were interesting and fun threads, to be sure!).

I genuinely don't mean either point as an insult, but you're even further from a neutral arbiter than he is imho lol!

I'm sure there is someone close enough to neutral on this forum. I'm also pretty sure any such person long ago "peace out'd" from this thread and/or wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole :)

ph0rk

Friendship is Magic, and Magic is Heresy.
You're wrong.

Again, post this 7th level Wizard that outclasses a Fighter (let alone a Bard or Rogue) in the Social and Exploration pillar, while still also being able to perform in the Combat pillar.

You are assuming every fighter can perform as well as the GWM/PA or SS/PA fighter. That is very much not true. Further, those fighters have to devote what little customization resources they have at those levels to that combat performance, and are then utterly reliant on a short rest-rich adventuring day, much like Warlocks.

So, an average nonhuman battlemaster fighter has two feats at level 7, must spend one on maxing str and one on GWM; they may have picked up fighting technique for an extra sup die. With 65% accuracy (the standard design goal), and having foreknowledge of target AC, they can range from 25.89 DPR (over 10,000 iterations) by only using Sup die for Precision Attack when they miss by 4 or less over 11.8 rounds - not too bad. If they burn hard and use a sup die when they miss by as much as 8 they can manage 39.686 DPR, but they last only 5.9 rounds. In both cases subtract one round if they choose to use action surge, and this damage accounts for crits and bonus action attacks when crits happen. Assuming greatsword because it's better DPR than other choices.

That's pretty good, but it's also highly optimized. And that fighter can't manage to have expertise in any skill or much in the way of int, wis, or cha, so their rolls on those skills are not good. The same goes for thieve's tools, the SS fighter will have a better shot than the GWM fighter there, but they can't ever gain expertise in thieve's tools without rogue levels (or some other weird stuff like artificer levels).

If you don't understand why the low stat no expertise skill check to high stat with expertise skill check gap is massive, then you do not understand the system and there's no point going further.

You can choose to build a fighter with two shots of expertise, but you're using two feats to do it, and not having GWM. Precision attack isn't that great without GWM (or SS), and is more or less on par with other fighters. An Eldritch Knight actually might be in the lead at level 7 (with War Magic), and can regularly put out (2*12*.65 + 2*.05*7 + .65*4.5) or 19.225 DPR on average, assuming a greatsword and either green flame blade or booming blade, single target, no rider. However they can do that all day, which is nice.

19.225 DPR

A PAM user (no GWM) can manage 19.075 - and that PAM user could be a paladin with other options for spike damage. The EK can't do both that and War Magic, but a Champion could: and would move to 19.625 DPR.

There is no way to talk about these other fighters while also talking about GWM/SS and PA. That's as broken as broken dpr is in this system. Remove Precision Attack or GWM/SS and it all falls apart, though, and advantage isn't as easily on-tap (though samurai look pretty good if they manage to have enough targets or one long-lived target to live through a fighting spirit and action surge round, but that relies again on GWM/SS).

So, talking about a GWM/PA battlemaster is already cherrypicking the absolute best DPR a fighter can manage.

A warlock (who has a wide array of skills as an option (with high stats for them, if social) and rituals to contribute to either social or exploration encounters, can do essentially nothing at all in terms of optimization and manage 14.2 DPR, at range, with no-save target repositioning and easy access to advantage.

A wizard (not built for sustained DPR) will crap out 7.7 DPR with fire bolt, however if the player cares much about DPR they'll probably make a bladesinger instead. They can put out 14.2 DPR (closer to 16 DPR if they push dex to 20). This scales up quickly, and by tier III they outpace an eldritch knight! No one calls a blast warlock a DPR slouch, and if a wizard can be built to do similar DPR, that's something. A bladesinger can also pump out regular cantrips and longbow shot: 13.45 DPR; this scales well into Tier III also. These wizards have spells to use, too, and a fireball does things to massed weak targets a battlemaster can only dream of.

I don't know about your combats, but an extra 4-5 damage a round for the entire party's damage output is rarely the deciding factor.

On the other hand, the ability to fly, deceive, persuade, or pick a lock can open up entirely new side adventures that a crowbar cannot match.

Unless of course every single fighter is a battlemaster in your world, but then we are talking about battlemasters, and we need to keep the feat tax for that build in mind when talking about social and exploration. GWM isn't sweet talking that information broker or helping you make perception or investigation checks.

Last edited:

Sure, except that expending those resources is generally met with overcompensations combating problems of past editions. You & a few others are quick to dismiss the damage disparity as something fighters should excel at but it applies to rogues as well they just make a more difficult to compare set of numbers due to scaling & other issues. I'm more than happy to admit that damage is not the wizard's crown & never said it should be. What I'm sating is that the damage disparity does not justify the lack of greatness elsewhere that you & others keep asserting must exist somewhere you can't be bothered to go into. Detail where you think that greatness is that justifies things like the overuse of concentration generally weakened spells monster design targeting LFQW of past editions where it was a problem & damage disparity in combat. Sure it might exist, show where.
You have based your complaints on the wizard by comparing the at-will single-target damage of a cantrip, to the martial attacks of a martial character. You have not only picked the most slanted possible metric, you have also ignored actual spellcasting - the class feature of the wizard. Even just adding the damage of one of the martial's attacks to the wizard's cantrip damage (haste spell) would have been a better representation.
If you wanted a fair comparison, even with just comparing damage numbers (since control/debuffs are hard to quantify), you have not been going about it correctly.
If you have a metric that we can use to evaluate and compare the use of utility spells, that would be extremely cool. I am not aware of one however since they are generally too situational.

You allude to utility spells able to do things no skill check no matter how high can accomplish yet noted not a single spell. Can you be specific? Does this require contrived situations & situations that only require those spells because the gm by fiat said no other abilities are an option? In my experience those situations are too niche & coincidental to matter if they come up in a campaign at all. You didn't list any so we can't discuss that though
I can give examples. I didn't want to get bogged down in a "well what if that situation just doesn't come up in the campaign?" situation.
The point is not "Wizards are way better than Fighters because they get this spell."
It is "A wizard with a generalised loadout can bypass some challenges that would otherwise give the mundane classes a chance to shine, particularly with the way many groups (and some WotC adventures) play."
But for example, there are multiple spells allowing bypass of a physical obstacle that would otherwise require athletics checks: Levitate, Spider climb, Fly, assorted teleports.
Likewise social obstacles can be overcome by a number of different spells, either by achieving the aim without needing to go through the obstacle in the first place, or spells like Disguise self, charm person, suggestion, alter self, invisibility etc.

buffing debuffing & control are all hindered by overuse of concentration overuse of magic resist & overuse of legendary resist on top of the undertuned spells themselves that fail to make up the diasparity even if you ignore the overcompensation. Since you & @ph0rk seem to think that's the real gold exploration & utility if you want to include those go for it. Whatever you do be more specific than vague allusions that shove the work of proving your position onto others before discussion can even begin.
OK. What do you think would be needed to be done to buffing, debuffing and control spells to bring them up to scratch?
Spells like Web, Hold Person, Hypnotic pattern, Banishment, wall spells etc are already thought of as pretty good.
Concentration is a mechanic designed to "throttle" spell slot usage a little and prevent the 5MWday that caused so many issues in 3.5 for example. What would be a better alternative? Or just keep the mechanic but remove it from selected spells?

I'm saying the disparity is too great and because WotC is all in on combating the problems of past editions it's difficult to address without massive sweeping changes. You & a few others keep saying that there is no need to address anything because somewhere is a niche where all the true greatness lies, unfortunately I can't agree or disagree because thus far it's pretty much been described as "find familiar" as the beginning and end of that niche & that spell in no way provides the oomph being demanded of it to support the disparity as justified

Fine, post a build & associated spell list you feel shows their strength. From the sounds of things that should result in self evident greatness.

Think of it like this. I can look at different cars & compare things like gas mileage pickup cargo capacity safety ratings MSRP & many others. classes should be an even easier comparisonto gauge where they are on the three pillars. martial classes are dramatically ahead of casters like wizard & the claim is that is because wizard is so far ahead elsewhere but there's nothing being added to support that claim.
But you aren't. You've just picked a single metric (single target damage) to compare, despite the fact that it is the area where the wizard is second weakest (after healing) and the fighter is one of the best. If you had picked almost any other metric, the wizard would have come out significantly ahead of the fighter.
Its like deciding what vehicle would be best for your family, and using only the max speed as a metric to decide between an estate and a motorcycle.

What is important is if those utility spells and rituals are providing a significant enough effect to justify the state of things or not & . A few of us are saying they do not given the niche uses of those spells being too niche given limitations like spells available while you & a few others are saying it does but not actually willing to demonstrate with a build or spell list not hiding behind the quantum ogre
OK. What level is this party that your wizard is so underperforming in, what are the other characters, and what sort of length adventuring day is the usual for your group? What is your group's/DM's preferred style of play?

You sound pretty certain there, why the reluctance to show a build or even example spellbook/spells prepped list that supports it?
For that particular statement, I don't need to: its right there in the base class features. Even without any of their spells, rituals, etc, the base starting wizard has an array of ability scores, four proficiencies, and a background feature. That is what the base starting fighter has all the time.

What kind of effect? Because if the effect is just to be convenient, I still don't see how they're necessarily some kind of paragon of utility.

But you know what, if you think having a massive selection of features with an opportunity cost of combat effectiveness as a means to demonstrate that they are great at the "exploration pillar" then I'll leave that to you.
Because on days with no/little combat, (for example city investigation and intrigue or travel through safer areas) with a little ingenuity and a varied spell list, you can generally find some way to be useful. The fighter doesn't get to swap their extra attack out for expertise in a few skills on a daily basis.
And when its time to go down into the dungeon, the wizard just switches to their combat-heavy loadout.
But consider that not every player considers a long list of features to bog them down as a boon of utility but more like a drag of bookkeeping. If you think going through pages of spell descriptions to squeeze every spell/ritual's usefulness from your list is fun, that's fine. But its not so black and white that "Wizard has more feature makes Fighter worse than Wizard."

I can't stand playing Wizards and Bards for the exact reason that the burden of pages of utility and complex spells bog the game down since I have to track my 24 spells, my background, my personality, my items (mundane and otherwise), the lore, and have vague understandings of other characters. If I could turn those 24 spells with complex and intricate details into 11-12 spells with effects like "deal damage" and "paralyze enemy" then I'm much happier playing that character.
That is entirely fair, but denigrating a class because you don't like playing to its strengths really isn't.
If it helps, I've found spell cards quite useful rather that just a list according to spell level. That way you can have smaller, separate piles for out of combat spells, concentration spells, and combat spells. - There can be some crossover but it really reduces the potential information/option overload.

And the baseline for what a character can do in exploration, class notwithstanding, is so vast that any additional features created precisely for the give-and-take pillars are almost superfluous. I don't need a teleportation spell to go from one place to another, why sacrifice my 7th level slot to do so?

That's my opinion, though. And I feel like too mant people refuse to respect the opinions of people who don't like having a large list of features.
But you're not expressing your opinion of the class (until now). You're claiming that it is an objectively bad class because it can't match the Fighter in single-target damage and does not have much better utility.
"I don't like Wizards because I find them too fiddly" is an opinion, and a perfectly valid one.
"Wizards are bad at utility and their rituals are almost useless" is a statement that conflicts with a lot of our experiences, and so people are going to expect you to be able to back that up with actual facts.

Remove ads