Lord of the Rings TV series synopsis

Mercurius

Legend
I have a bad feeling about this. I imagine it will look good, but veer far from the tone and atmosphere of Tolkien's Middle-earth which Peter Jackson did as good a job as could reasonably be expected in remaining faithful to. For Tolkienistas, this is likely to be a nightmarish mockery. For those just wanting pretty people and cool fantasy stuff to look at, it should be entertaining.

I enjoyed the first Hobbit movie despite its many flaws. But with the other two movies it all fell apart, and it became painfully obvious that this should have been two movies at the most.

There are a few fan edits that trim the trilogy down to 2 movies, or even 1, and it makes for a much better viewing experience. The fan edits cut all of the fan service, unnecessary cameos and everything with Legolas. It turns a bad trilogy into a some what passable film.

R_J_K75

Legend
I enjoyed the first Hobbit movie despite its many flaws.
The way the dwarves look is the main reason I couldnt take the movie seriously. They all look like Muppets and their hair is just ridiculous, except for top 2nd from the left guy looks like he should be in a Gillette commercial. How did Howard Wolowitz get in there? Seriously though giving this picture another look its pretty creepy on so many levels.

1610706855477.png

MarkB

Legend
The videogames Shadow of Mordor / Shadow of War did some nice things with this time period in their flashbacks to Celebrimbor's story. I wouldn't want a complete retread, but a series which took a similar approach to reimagining these tales could work well.

its funny I thought the dwarves were great (i'll be watching another movie and i'll recognize the voice but not an actor I know). It was 2 silly though and longer than needed

My biggest worry is they are going to be making up a lot of stuff (like new Star Wars) so you better have a good script writer/director/someone passionate about the lore. And unlike the Mandalorian you probably wont be able to have cameos and locations that easily recognizable to casual fans

Ryujin

Legend
I enjoyed the first Hobbit movie despite its many flaws. But with the other two movies it all fell apart, and it became painfully obvious that this should have been two movies at the most.

There are a few fan edits that trim the trilogy down to 2 movies, or even 1, and it makes for a much better viewing experience. The fan edits cut all of the fan service, unnecessary cameos and everything with Legolas. It turns a bad trilogy into a some what passable film.
Apparently Topher Grace (yeah, the guy from "That '70s Show") has a hobby of doing fan film edits. I'm told that his edit of "The Hobbit" trilogy is excellent, though I haven't seen it myself. He removes all of the extraneous crap that was added to pad the run time, but wasn't in the book.

Remember that The Hobbit was a children's book and for most of the story, the dwarves were bumbling fools who had to be saved several times by Bilbo. The tone should never have been the same as the LotR movies. Mixing in the whole Necromancer sub-plot threw everything off and the whole Dwarf angst from Thorin about the gold and the dragon went on way too long. I was fine with Legolas and the elf they invented for the movie, Tauriel, but that sub-plot should have just been to show that a Dwarf and Elf could be friends and not that whole icky romance thing.

As for the show, if they try to "Game of Thrones" it with sex and nudity and brutal violence, then it will be a big no for me wanting to watch it, even as much as I love the books and setting.

The Battle of Five Armies itself is fun if you ignore everything else and pretend you are watching a Warhammer Fantasy Battle movie.

The switch from Guillermo del Toro to Peter Jackson was further exacerbated by massive studio interference. They were the ones that insisted on putting Legolas and the romantic sublot into it, for example.

The Hobbit movies were trash. (Okay, I've only seen the first two. I might someday watch the third one just to watch the battle that supposedly makes up half the run time.)

There's a reason they're as bad as they are. The studio canned director Guillermo del Toro and his two movie plan at the last minute and dragged Peter Jackson in to do them instead as three movies. Poor old PJ had to make most of the crap up as he went along. And boy does it show.

Aww, I liked the funky dwarven designs. That sort of whimsy felt very Guillermo Del Toro.

The way the dwarves look is the main reason I couldnt take the movie seriously. They all look like Muppets and their hair is just ridiculous, except for top 2nd from the left guy looks like he should be in a Gillette commercial.

I think that this is something that's been tough for LOTR readers for a long time. The Hobbit was written for children, the Lord of the Rings for an older audience. Yet so many of us, as children, marched right from The Hobbit to LOTR. Doing so here in reverse, then trying to reverse-engineer it to match the prior movies, messed a lot of stuff up even further.

Remember that The Hobbit was a children's book and for most of the story, the dwarves were bumbling fools who had to be saved several times by Bilbo. The tone should never have been the same as the LotR movies.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The way the dwarves look is the main reason I couldnt take the movie seriously. They all look like Muppets and their hair is just ridiculous, except for top 2nd from the left guy looks like he should be in a Gillette commercial. How did Howard Wolowitz get in there? Seriously though giving this picture another look its pretty creepy on so many levels.

View attachment 131306
It’s based on a kids’ book. Of course they look like that.

Remove ads