Lord of the Rings TV series synopsis

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Its been years since I saw Water World and its sequel the Postman. Water World was pretty bad but I seem to recall it having a few entertaining parts, such as the Exxon Valdez references being hilarious. It was a running joke when it came out how bad it was compared to the how much it cost between me and my friends. Never saw John Carter, the Lone Ranger or the 13th Warrior but I can't stand Johnny Depp and cant see him as a convincing Tonto.
I’m gonna go ahead and say it, Waterworld is very good, and 13th Warrior is a delight.

R_J_K75

Legend
No, nothing from the Silmarillion. There were no rights for that included in the deal for the rights to The Hobbit and LotR. Everything extra plot-wise was from the Appendices in The Return of the King. But yes, the plan was for two movies from the beginning.
Was the reason they didnt get the rights for the Silmarillion do to artistic direction of the Hobbit films or were the movie rights all negotiated up front before the LotR movies were made?

GreyLord

Legend
Was the reason they didnt get the rights for the Silmarillion do to artistic direction of the Hobbit films or were the movie rights all negotiated up front before the LotR movies were made?
Movie rights were sold decades prior to when the movies were even made. At the time, Tolkien sold the movie rights to LotR and Hobbit for money which put his children through school. The Silmarillion was not included in that sale (for starters, as it was not even published yet from what I know).

R_J_K75

Legend
Movie rights were sold decades prior to when the movies were even made. At the time, Tolkien sold the movie rights to LotR and Hobbit for money which put his children through school. The Silmarillion was not included in that sale (for starters, as it was not even published yet from what I know).
Got ya, I just assumed that the rights were negotiated for the Jackson/Del Toro movies. I read not long ago that the Beatles were attached to the LotR, found the link.

Remove ads