D&D General Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth - welcome your thoughts and suggestions

Enrico Poli1

Adventurer
From the Lost Mines to the Lost Caverns
My players are a few sessions out from completing the Lost Mines of Phandelver. I'm going to follow up with a MacGuffin quest to get a thing out of the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth - there are several intriguing magic items therein.

I've got 5 players, so ideally they would be 6th level when they hit the Lost Caverns; but they could be even higher I think (it's for 6th-10th; and Gary Gygax says it's pretty challenging).

On their way to the Lost Caverns, I'm thinking of having them fall into the Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan so that they can level. But is that necessary?

My question is - anything to consider about the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth? Any thoughts on how easy or hard it would be to convert to 5e? (looked pretty straightforward). I haven't read the module yet - but I'm asking now so if folks have any things I should look out for, I can look for them as I go through it.
Lost Caverns of Tsojicanth is one of my favourites. I've used the module many times. I usually convert on the fly. I think it's appropriate to a Lvl 8-9 party, so use other modules before.

Shiroiken

Legend
I ran it a long time ago, and I'd suggest rebalancing the encounters for 5E. There's a lot of individual monsters that will just get stomped, while 4 Dao are pretty tough! The final battle is pretty anti-climatic, because it's a solo without minions by design, so I'd play up the social aspect of it more (and consider having a way for her to summon minions as a lair action).

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
As for 5e conversion, there is this guide:

Edited to add here is another with VTT maps:

Last edited:

GuyBoy

Hero
An anniversary Re-visit could be built around the classic two modules ( Tsojcanth and Tharizdun), possibly with Drelnza playing the role of mid-level boss villain, with the return of Tharizdun as the overarching high level threat. This might even create a dichotomous role for Drelnza.
Whatever the nature of the revisit, these two adventures are just too iconic to not get an anniversary role.

Quartz

Hero
Try switching the ending and channel T1-4. You see Drelnza is actually Good. Just like Thrommel in T1-4. Iggwilv, evil as she is, cannot bring herself to kill her daughter. Perhaps thanks to her being raised by Baba Yaga. But she can bring herself to let her daughter be killed by adventurers. Maybe D is possessed by a ghost? Or is being Magic Jarred by a wizard?

GuyBoy

Hero
Try switching the ending and channel T1-4. You see Drelnza is actually Good. Just like Thrommel in T1-4. Iggwilv, evil as she is, cannot bring herself to kill her daughter. Perhaps thanks to her being raised by Baba Yaga. But she can bring herself to let her daughter be killed by adventurers. Maybe D is possessed by a ghost? Or is being Magic Jarred by a wizard?
This works well. Drelnza as an ally against the terrible evil of Tharizdun, the swirling madness of endless destruction who threatens all of Greyhawk.

GuyBoy

Hero
284EC741-147E-446F-9799-81EE93CCEE37.jpeg

“All the horrors of the Lost Caverns are behind you now, memories in the acid-etched blades of your swords, spell-slain to your enchantments, but for this last challenge.
In the eldritch light of the strange lantern, the woman’s eyes open, her fangs visible behind crimson lips, though she draws no breath.
This can only be the famed Drelnza, vampire daughter of Iggwilv herself.
As you spell yourselves for a deadly battle, she speaks, “ I am not your foe, nor you mine; He stirs. In porphyry mists of madness, He stirs. And all will be ended......unless we........”

Omand

Hero
PLayed (and owned) this one back in the 1E days. There are some puzzle parts to the "dungeon" mentioned by others. Not sure if you want to warn your players about that or not.

I agree, mapping is essential in many ways, but if you warn them it also takes away from the potential of the module. Groups that just bumble in set themselves up for a world of hurt, so prep is rewarded as good play.

Drelnza was indeed a beast in 1E, not sure she would be as hard now. The 3.5E conversion might give some ideas on beefing her up.

I don't remember all of the other encounters, but I do remember there is a Troglodyte warren in there. Their stench in 1E had much more of an effect than in 5E, but maybe something you can play up.

Cheers :)

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Thanks all for feedback. Yes, I thought either a) there could be something summoned (even something as easy as Swarm of Rats that can just take up actions) or b) perhaps some sort of magical trap/laser that shoots them from the ceiling.

Fortunately I own Tharizdun in addition to Tsojcanth, and I was yesterday years old when I learned they were connected. I wasn't going to use it; but the note about 5 PCs should be ~8th level helps. I think now I'll fold it in. Except for one of them, these guys haven't played since we were in high school, BEFORE these two modules were published. (Actually, I guess we all graduated in '84, so maybe around the same time). So with 5e they are pretty green. Anyway, love the info and looking forward to playing it.

Remove ads