• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[LPF] Ryall's Estate

jkason

First Post
The party moves slowly and carefully through the forest, letting Quioan guide them to the clearing. The archer elf leaves the others to take up a position with a view of the back door as the other three wait. Daylily seems especially impatient, shuffling from one foot to another, until the wolfhound at the southwest corner of the house perks up a moment. The barbarian freezes, and while the dog sniffs the air briefly, it seems satisfied that nothing is amiss and sits back down to guard.

[sblock=ooc]Okay, since I quashed Quioan's ability to giant-ize Daylily or give himself Gravity Bow due to the combo of duration + stealth requirements, I think I need to do the same to Kaznato's Bless. She can cast it in the surprise round like Quioan, but Quioan can't gain its benefits because he's too far away.

So, first off, resolving stealth. Looks like Daylily's the lowest man on the totem pole. I'm just going to roll wolfhound checks against him for the sake of efficiency (and because, realistically, the distance modifiers make the stealths for Relic and Kazanto pretty hard to hit without a natural 20 from one of the dogs):

Perception: Wolfhound 1 (DC 17); Wolfhound 2 (DC 21); Wolfhound 4 (DC 20) (1d20+8=16, 1d20+8=19, 1d20+8=20)

Darn. I was so close to catching you. :p

Your targets are surprised. Everyone gets one action for the surprise round (move or standard, but not both). Relic, I need to know if you're holding your initiative to 12 to wait for Daylily's action.

Qik, the Wolfhounds won't be able to react to anything until their initiative in round 1. If you still want to wait to see if they rush Daylily before casting or attacking, Quioan will have to forego his surprise round action and wait to act until that point. Up to you.

Initiatives:

Relic: 19 (hold to 12 for Daylily?)
Niam Caan: 16
Daylily: 12
Quioan: 10
Wolfhounds: 10
Kazanto: 7

Statuses:

All: Resistance +1 saves
Quioan & Relic: Mage Armor +4 AC[/sblock]

Attachments

• GrandGuignol1.jpg
    GrandGuignol1.jpg
    466.3 KB · Views: 93

Qik

First Post
OOC: I'm fine with casting Gravity Bow in the surprise round. I'll wait for Daylily's charge to do it IC.

I just wanted to know if there was a reason you had positioned Q at A23, since I wanted him at A32 (the further away he is, the safer he is).

Systole

First Post
With a tremdendous bellow, Daylily charges forward, hammer held high.

OOC: Assuming none of that is difficult terrain, Daylily will rage, charge, and smash the dog. If that's not possible, he'll hold off on rage and move to F9 or so with the intention of ragesmash next turn.

Just FYI, Daylily's barbarian chew means that he gets one lingering round of rage after he stops paying rage points, so let's get this done in six rounds or less guys. <crosses fingers>

jbear

First Post
Relic moves through the trees, remaining just on the edge where he can receive cover from the ranger's bow, but can see well enough to use his spells when the dogs hopefully go after the roaring barbarian.

OOC: Action: Move to H6

Qik

First Post
From his position to the east, Quioan hears Daylily's cry, and takes it as his signal to ready his magic. Feeling the surge of arcane energy move through him and concentrate in his bow, he begins to raise it, studying the movements of his prey as he does so.

jkason

First Post
OOC: I'm fine with casting Gravity Bow in the surprise round. I'll wait for Daylily's charge to do it IC.

I just wanted to know if there was a reason you had positioned Q at A23, since I wanted him at A32 (the further away he is, the safer he is).

GM: Sorry 'bout that. I was transposing the numbers every time I looked at it. I am in a bit of dilemma, though. I'd been considering the 'tree' squares as dense forest, and applying modifiers to stealth. In combat, then, I'm inclined to say that being in a tree square provides concealment against ranged attacks, but if I say that, I think it's only fair to say that having a full square of trees between you and a target provides him concealment, as well.

I hadn't really considered it until I placed Quioan in the correct square, but it seems a fair environmental wrinkle. I'm sorry to have realized it so late in the game. :(

Qik, you can re-set Quioan with that in mind without burning your action if you like.

Relic and Daylilly both feel Kazanto's fire fill them as the clearing echoes with Daylily's roar. He charges the closest wolfhound, which barely has time to stand before the barbarian has smashed its head to a bloody pulp. Relic shifts himself to what he hopes is a more strategic position as the loud elf makes his move, and Quioan invokes the magics that empower his bow. The dogs on the western half of the house both look in his direction and growl as his casting reveals his presence.

The back door opens then, and a tall man in studded leather armor and forest colors exits, a compound bow in one hand and a wand in the other. Noticing the dogs' behavior, he glances to the northeast as he begins to back away toward the southern corner of the house. Once there, he points the wand at the house and exclaims, "Hogwash!". He follows this up with a loud string of expletives as nothing seems to happen, and throws the wand to the ground.

"I don't know who the hells you people are, but you're invading my home. Law gives me the right to kill each and every one of you if you don't turn around right now!"

GM: Everyone but Kazanto can act in round 1 before the dogs. Then the dogs go, and we'll be into our first-post scenario again

[sblock=Statuses]Statuses:

All: Resistance +1 saves
Daylilly, Kazanto, Relic: Bless (+1 attacks)
Quioan & Relic: Mage Armor +4 AC
Quioan: Gravity Bow
Daylily: Rage 1/6[/sblock]

Attachments

• GrandGuignol2.jpg
    GrandGuignol2.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 85

Qik

First Post
OOC: No worries, jk - in that case, I'd like to start Q at C28.

Quioan's features twist into a grim smile at the man's warning. Now he invokes the law... With that, the elf takes aim and fires at the wolfhound closest to him, though his magically enlarged arrow leaves his bow heading wide right.

OOC: Attack dog at H23 - forgot to factor in PBS, so add +1 to my roll.

1d20+6=11

Damage (unlikely, but just in case): 2d6+2=5

Grimacing at what looks like a poor shot, Quioan retreats a few steps into the woods so as to take cover from Caan's bow. (move to B28 - is that enough to give me concealment?)

Last edited:

Remove ads