[LPF] The Sword and the Fallen Angel [OOC]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
First off, I think I understand your frustration, and I sympathize to an extent. I just want to give my particular perspective on the issue, which I in no way mean as a rebuttal or counter-argument.

First, when I'm asked to roll things like Perception checks, saving throws, certain kind of skill checks where the results of success or failure are not obvious in advance (diplomacy, bluff, etc) then I do not feel like I can make a -complete- post (ie - one involving full actions and dialogue) until the GM tells me the result of that roll. I don't think that's an unreasonable conclusion. If you'd like us to handle those types of rolls differently, just ask. I think I can honestly say we'd all like to work with you on these types of issues.

Second, and I don't say this to be whiny or complainy, because I don't MIND, but there's a certain amount of time involved in making combat posts as things stand. The character sheet must be looked up, which involves going to a whole other site (though I do appreciate the links on the first page of the thread...I hadn't seen those before and they DO expedite that step). Then the not-inconsiderable decision of what to do must be made. Then I have to go back to the last combat post and get the ministats...then wrap it all up in a post that is laden with sblocks. Since I do a fair amount of my weekday posting at work, taking 10-15 minutes to put a post together is, at times, not feasible. My options are to delay posting altogether...or put a post out that meets the minimum requirements. Neither option reflects a lack of commitment on my part to the game. Neither option reflects a lack of DESIRE to post. I apologize if I ever gave that impression.

This is a great game and I don't want any failing on my part to endanger it. If you ever have issue with me or my posting, please feel free to contact me via email or PM. I'm sure any problem can be worked out.

Thanks!
LOL, I should know better than to drop OOC bombs in our IC thread when we have an OOC thread.

Know this, I am cognizant of people's posting schedules and patterns. And I do occasionally snoop and check everyone's posting activity when we are waiting on someone. So I have a good idea how many other games some of you are in.

I have a few significant pet peeves.
1. People who find it acceptable to post one-liners all of the time.
2. People who do not read the previous posts or do not follow directions.
3. People who are absent for more than a few days without dropping a quick notice of their AFK time.

I care not why they do it, not important to me. I eventually find ways to avoid playing with people who do this.

I fully understand Shayuri's and Mowgli's posts attached to their Perception Checks were appropriate as one-line posts. There are times when it is appropriate.

I wrote another OOC post about game pacing/scene progression in another thread. I will clean it up later and eventually post it here.

But for this game, the pace has been set by Shayuri's schedule. I have known this from the early on and I have not complained about it. When necessary in combat I have NPC'd Maia to keep things from slowing down too much. However, the others post more frequently and that should keep the game rolling when outside of combat.

BTW, if anyone is significantly short on time and needs to be NPC'd in combat for a round or two, I find nothing wrong with someone dropping me a PM or an OOC post here with some guidance on what they want to do. I would rather have that instead of a crappy IC post with errors and unclear actions.

sunshadow21

Explorer
I understand your frustration, and found for the games I'm running to take into account that has pretty much happened in every game I am in, either as DM or player, in the last month. The start of school threw a lot of people's schedule off, or in my case, a shift in the workload as temperatures started dropping enough to allow dogs to be shipped more. Also, I do most of my posting, except for map updates, from work, so my ability to post is completely random. Sometimes I could conceivably spend all day on the forums pretending to work. Other days, I don't even bother to get my laptop out because I'm just that busy. Lastly, bear in mind that not all characters are going to have a lot to say or do. I know in my case, sometimes I could type an extended paragraph on Ausk's words and/or actions, but most of the time, he's the kind of character that a lot of short entry's simply makes more sense.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
BTW, I received an offer letter today and I am scheduled to once again join the ranks of the employed on 26 Sep. Good news for me and my family, bad news for those people without patience in the games I am involved in. There will be days that I cannot always post in every game that I am in at EnWorld.

But, I was going to become a once every two days poster after getting a new job anyway. Since any new job wasn't going to let me do PbP gaming regardless. :p But, I did trim some games away as well, giving up my experiments with 4th edition and Mutants & Masterminds.

While I don't actually start until next week, I am still playing catch up from a three day weekend, and we start a second one on Friday. Assuming the Typhoon here in Tokyo has run out of steam and we have little league on that day, of course. So I am already in this reduced gameplaying state.

Shayuri

First Post
Congratulations! That is excellent news!

Even if it means a slower game, I'm just happy your situation is better.

I hope your new job is fulfilling!

Shayuri

First Post
I just want to make sure I am correct on how cones work. With Maia right next to Ausk, it looks to me like I could aim a 15' cone diagonally to the southeast, and it would still catch Krell, but miss Ausk. It would hit the square directly south of Ausk...then hit the two squares both south and to the east of that square, which is the one Krell is in.

Let me know if this is correct or not, and I shall post immediately.

Remove ads