[LPF] Tower of the Black Pearl (DM: Deuce Traveler)

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Name: Tower of the Black Pearl
Description: A Living Pathfinder Aquatic Adventure for Level 1 Characters
- Players should end up at Level 2
Dungeon Master: Deuce Traveler
Judge: TBD
Start Date: 5 February 2013

Player Characters:

1. Lightfeather, Human (Goti) Ranger (Guide) played by [MENTION=6704731]Gorgon Heap[/MENTION]
Starting XP: 0, Starting GP: 44.68gp
Ending XP: 2452, Ending GP: 43.68gp

2. Dimb'antar Thuk, Half-Orc Barbarian played by [MENTION=6705164]Grayn[/MENTION]
Starting XP: 0, Starting GP: 12.5gp
Ending XP: 2452, Ending GP: 11.5gp

3. Garadh, Human Fighter played by [MENTION=11368]Khisanth the Ancient[/MENTION]
Starting XP: 1263, Starting GP: 0gp
Ending XP: 3625, Ending GP: -0.01gp

4. Cid Korvair, Human Fighter played by [MENTION=6705220]Red Knight[/MENTION]
Starting XP: 0, Starting GP: 150gp
Ending XP: 912, Ending GP: 150gp

Encounters
[sblock]
Tower of the Black Pearl Entrance, guarded by 3 sleeping pirates and a DC 15 Locked Trapdoor. Party broke down door, which resulted in 2 more pirates wandering in. (EL 2, 600xp)

Fight with Fetishes along Broken Stairs. Party avoided falling into the gap during the fight, but when injured herself trying to cross after. (EL 2, 600xp)

Three pirates guarding the entrance past the portal. (EL 2, 600xp)

Pirates and Blade Trap. (EL 3, 800xp)

Boatman (El 1/2, 200xp)

Snakes and Flooding Waters at Shrine (EL 3, 800xp)

Calculating Time-Based XP for 5 February to 12 Aug: 762 1302
[/sblock]

Treasure
[sblock]
First Pirates at Balcony:
- 20gp, 80sp

In Secret Room
- Bowl worth 25gp
- Five vessels each worth 25gp
-- Total: 150gp

From Savage Quinn
- Journal: Quest Item
- Masterwork Rapier (320gp worth)

In Trap Room
- Masterwork Chain Shirt (250gp worth)

In Sarcophagus
- Crown, 50gp worth
- Two Rubies, Quest Items, 80gp each
- Tattered Robe ?
- Skull ?

Shrine
- Black Pearl, 2000gp worth

Total: 2952.5?
[/sblock]

Consumables Used
[sblock]
Lightfeather
- 4 arrows
- 1gp to boatman
Garadh
- 50' Hemp Rope
- 1cp to boatman
Thuk
- 1gp to boatman
[/sblock]

Tavern Thread Hook
The local city guard of Venza has a reputation for professionalism unmatched by most of its peers. However, every organization has its exceptions, and one of those has just stumbled into the Dunn Wright Inn. The slovenly and slight-overweight Corporal Murphy half-stumbles, half-charges into the establishment and heads right for the bar. He orders up a shot of something vile, downs it in one swift gulp, and then slams the drink back onto the flat surface of the bar table with a dull cracking sound. He orders a beer, then peers out into the crowd. ”Darn it, I don’t recognize any of you yahoos, but I heard this is the place to go find adventurers of daring-do! There’s trouble brewing and no one will believe and do something about it. I’m looking for a handful of hardy adventurers willing to give a pack of crusty old pirates a few lengths of metal in the gullet. I need some locals willing to take on the legendary Tower of Sezrakan.” He gives another hard look at the crowd from over the rim of his mug, almost daring someone to laugh.

And laugh some might. The tower is a children’s tale. Hundreds of years ago, it was the home to Sezrakan the Elder, a mage of great renown who cherished his privacy. What became of the mage is a mystery; one day he simply vanished and never returned, and his tower disappeared into the depths off the coast of Venza. Different stories speak of Sezrakan’s fate, each tale more outlandish than the last. Children are often put to sleep with stories about how the tower spire appears off the coast only once every decade or so, during nights shrouded in fog. Each story does share one similar aspect, however; that a great black, magical pearl powers the magic of the tower, protected by deadly traps and guardians.

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Corporal Murphy grabs another drink then walks to the backroom, his volunteers in tow. "Ok, here's the score. Some local pirates are looking to enter the tower tonight. They found an old diary that predicts the tides and when the spire should be revealed again. Now, I know the location, and I really don't care what treasures you keep once you get in there. I just don't want that crew to profit from this little venture of theirs. The lot of thems are bastards and we'll all have a harder time of it if they get rich off this scheme of theirs and can actually afford decent gear to finance their lust for violence. I have a boat and know the way. The deal is that I get you there and you beat them to the pearl. Keep it if you want, but if you do run into the pirate called Savage Quenn I want you to take him down and get the diary on him. You get me the diary, and I get you back to shore, no questions asked."

Red Knight

First Post
Cid gathers his gear before following the Corporal to the back of the inn. "A thief. Yes I suppose an agent of the shadows would do as well." He looks to the man with a bit of concern on his face.

Last edited:

Grayn

First Post
"Smack some pirates around, you want some book and we get whatever we find?" Thuk looked at the Corporal skeptically. "Hmph, I suppose I can handle that."

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
"Yes, all I want is the book. I'm sorry that I can't offer you anything up front, but I'm just a working stiff and don't have a full purse like some. Still, if ya wan't to go to the Mystic Pearl with coin you have on hand before you start out, that's fine with me. Keep in mind you'll be dealing with both pirates and water, so bring what you think might be appropriate. I'm heading to the docks to get my boat ready. Meet up with me at the waterfront after sundown." With that, Corporal Murphy leaves.

OOC: Alright, we're just about ready to start. If you have any purchases you want to make, please do so in the next 24 hours. I'll be posting that you're leaving for the spire via skiff on tomorrow's update.

Grayn

First Post
Thuk finds a seat on one of the benches while he waits to meet the Corporal at the docks. As he packs a small pipe, he hums a what sounds like some sort of shanty. He begins to sing quietly to himself, as he quickly does the nimble work with his large hands.

When Thuks about, going to town,
He’ll throw mug o’ ale or one mo’ grog down.
But don’t expect him happy o’ wit’ a big smile,
It ain’t but a minute before he’s pushin’ off the piles.

Well, stand him up, sit him down, send ‘em out again.
Four bells, six bells, gone before eighth sound,
Heave line! Pull the brow, fear the briny’s bane;
No rest till the next, port bound again.

He pops the full pipe into his mouth and lights the tobacco with a candle from a table. He continues to hum while he smokes his pipe.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
The party completes their preparations and heads to the docks, where they find Corporal Murphy preparing a large skiff for sail. It looks as if it had seen better decades, but he assures you that it's sea worthy. You pile on board and he casts off just as a strange fog begins to settle over the waters, obscuring the bay. "See? I told you! This is the night!" He looks positively giddy as he puts away his oars and opens the sail. The craft glides out into choppy waters.

It seems to take nearly an hour of fighting the currents, but at last you begin to make out a spindle-shaped structure through the darkness and fog. It pokes forth slightly from the water. As you approach you notice another boat tethered to it. "Watch yourselves in there. It looks like they beat us to it."

The tower rises from the sea like something out of a fairy tale. And yet, it must be real, for waves lap at it just as they lap at the planks of your skiff. Snarling gargoyles crown the four corners of the tower, peering from coral-encrusted battlements. More worrisome than the eldritch tower or the snarling gargoyles is the worn longboat moored on the far side of the tower, which the corporal already pointed out. The deck of the longboat is empty, though it is hooked to a circular balcony with a tall wall. The balcony seems to be the only way to get onto the tower. The lip of the balcony wall is just above head-level, though Corporal Murphy gets close enough for you to be able to pull yourselves over without much trouble if you choose to do so.

Garadh is a bit skeptical of the boat, but he's seen much worse in his days on Venza's docks.

Upon arrival, he looks carefully at the balcony, checking if the stone is still in good shape and able to support a person's weight.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Garadh tugs at the stone wall in silence. It seems to have been made from some kind of stone consisting of seashells but seeming to be similar to limestone. It is quite sturdy and Garadh has no problems with grip.

Red Knight

First Post
"I suppose a more seaworthy ship was too much to ask for." Cid stats flatly before climbing aboard.

As the poor old skiff ventures into the fog bank Cid unconsciously rubs his shoulder but grips one of his many chakrams as the other ship and tower come into view. "Impressive." He whispers loudly.

Cid watches Garadh intently as he reaches out to grab the stonewall. "Well let's see what she has to offer. Also." He pauses for a moment as he gathers his equipment. "Do you know or at least have an idea of where this book you want is?" Cid asks Corporal Murphy before standing.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases