Dragonlance Lunar Sorcery: A Preview from Shadow of the Dragon Queen

WotC has posted a preview from the upcoming Shadow of the Dragon Queen on D&D Beyond, diving into the Lunary Sorcery subclass. Traditionally magic in Krynn has been represented by the Wizards of High Sorcery, who owe their allegiance to one of the black, red, or white moons (and gods) of magic. Sorcerers weren't around in D&D when Dragonlance was created. Lunar Sorcerers also draw power...

WotC has posted a preview from the upcoming Shadow of the Dragon Queen on D&D Beyond, diving into the Lunary Sorcery subclass.

lunar-socerer-featured.jpg

Traditionally magic in Krynn has been represented by the Wizards of High Sorcery, who owe their allegiance to one of the black, red, or white moons (and gods) of magic. Sorcerers weren't around in D&D when Dragonlance was created.

Lunar Sorcerers also draw power from the moons, based on the moon's phase (Full, New, Crescent). You choose the phase each day (though at later levels you can do so more often). The subclass gets a lot of spells (15 additional spells!)

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
What are you on about? Do you even know what I am referring to?
Tinker Gnomes. In the original trilogy they don't use staircases in their homes. Instead, they have catapults that launch them up to different levels. Except, since they're Tinker Gnomes, the catapults often malfunction. So above the floors they have nets to catch the falling gnomes. Except the nets often malfunction, too. So Tinker Gnomes frequently die while doing the simple act of moving from one level of their house to another.

Am I misremembering? Because I distinctly remember two things about the Tinker Gnomes. The first one being that their full names contain the entire oral history of their family bloodline and the second one being that they're too dumb to build stairs but smart enough to build catapults.

Last edited:

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
No, that's how it was.
Tinker Gnomes. In the original trilogy they don't use staircases in their homes. Instead, they have catapults that launch them up to different levels. Except, since they're Tinker Gnomes, the catapults often malfunction. So above the floors they have nets to catch the falling gnomes. Except the nets often malfunction, too.

Am I misremembering? Because I distinctly remember two things about the Tinker Gnomes. The first one being that their full names contain the entire oral history of their family bloodline and the second one being that they're too dumb to build stairs but smart enough to build catapults.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
True, but there's a HUGE block of time in Krynn's history (including most of the actual depictions) in which sorcery was unknown. I suppose a group of sorcerers could have been in hiding for centuries, but they would need to stay in hiding to avoid persecution as long as the Wizards of High Sorcery were active.

Renegade Wizards, by Lucien Soulban, explored the idea of sorcerers existing prior to the War of the Lance, and the reaction of the Wizards of High Sorcery to them.

Tinker Gnomes. In the original trilogy they don't use staircases in their homes. Instead, they have catapults that launch them up to different levels. Except, since they're Tinker Gnomes, the catapults often malfunction. So above the floors they have nets to catch the falling gnomes. Except the nets often malfunction, too. So Tinker Gnomes frequently die while doing the simple act of moving from one level of their house to another.

Very nice. But I was referring to thinker gnomes.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

Not too dumb to build stairs. The inability to avoid overcomplicating things unnecessarily. Why build stairs when you can build the wing flapper 18000 and fly up?

Pentallion

Explorer
"Dragonlance was originally released in 1984 by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman. If you wish to play the setting as originally envisioned, please consider the following optional rules:

• The following races aren't known on Krynn naturally: halflings, drow, orcs, half-orcs, dragonborn, tieflings, and all optional races from Monsters of the Multiverse unless the DM allows it.
  • The following classes are not considered native to Krynn: artificer, bard, druid, monk, sorcerer and warlock.
  • Humans should have a racial traits removed. All other races are limited to only 10th level maximum. Humans can go to 20th level.
  • Humans can be any class. Elves and half-elves cannot be paladins or barbarians. Dwarves cannot be wizards, rangers or paladins, kender cannot be wizards, rangers, paladins, or barbarians. Any race can be a fighter, rogue or cleric.

These rules will allow you to experience Krynn as it was 38 years ago.

- WotC staff"
Except it's a little is at odds with the official Dragonlance Adventures book. There are no paladins. The books referenced druids, but until Habakuk(sp?) returned, they had no magic (so same as clerics). I don't remember if bards were banned or not. I can't see why they would be what with all the music in Krynn.

Remove ads

Remove ads