• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

M3: Assassin's Knot (Patlin judging)

orsal

LEW Judge
Once questions are asked and answered (we can take this out of order if others have questions), and the group is alone, but before we split up, Nurlan addresses the others, especially Mordik and Eanos.

"There is something you must know about the regime here. It is not as popular as the prince or Mr. Vossinger would have you think. The royal family itself is divided. On a previous visit to the same tavern where I met you, I met a young traveller who had spent some time in Monemvassia. Persephone was her name, and she described a messy dynastic split. Prince Julian, the nephew of the King, is in exile, and claims the throne. The citizens of Monemvassia date all the city's problems to the beginning of King Crassus' reign. From the merchant who became our employer on my first visit here, to the rogue who became our nemesis, I hear the same thing. When Jara was king, justice ruled the land, and the city prospered; under Crassus, all is corrupt.

"I saw Mr. Vossinger around town on a couple of occasions. The people treated him with respect, but when he turned his back they scorned him. He is not well-liked, no doubt on account of his relationship with the prince. Miss Persephone regarded Medius as the worst of the whole corrupt lot.

"Of course, our job is to investigate a murder, not to pass judgement on the royal family of Monemvassia. I tell you all this because I expect the Duke's death to be a political assassination. Whatever our employers tell us, he had many enemies, and they have many enemies, enemies to whose very existence they are willfully blind. Be prepared for our investigation to lead us to a conclusion that Medius and Vossinger will not want to acknowledge."

NakuruSai said:
OOC:
Orsal[sblock]How many bolts did you give me, and do I have a small quiver to hold them around a leg or what?[/sblock]

OOC: I had to look this up, but Nurlan's got 22 bolts. They come in cases of 10, so lets just say he passes Mordik a full case, including the container.)

Manzanita

First Post
Please excuse slight inconsistancy in names as Monemvassia has progressed. I've modified them slightly as I've developed the city and plot. Jara is the surname of the royal family. Dorian Jara was the previous King. He had two sons, the current king Crassus Jara, and the purported murder victim Antoine Jara. Medius Jara is Crassus's son. See Monemvassia's entry in the atlas and almanac to help keep it straight.
Sense motive for Rinaldo and Ashnar [sblock] They see no reason to distrust the Prince[/sblock]

Sense motive for Eanos[sblock] He distrusts the Prince. Can't get a better read on what the young woman was afraid of[/sblock]

Knight Otu

First Post
"I am not certain how well I would be at impersonating an animal trainer, though Fareye will definite help giving that impression." Ashnar silently calls out to his familiar to make sure he is still near.

On the first chance, Ashnar will change his prepared spells as follows:

Spells prepared (Save DC 13 + spell level, or 14+ spell level for Evocation spells; 4+1/3+1/2+1): 0 - detect magic* x3, flare*|, touch of fatigue; 1st - burning hands*|, mage armor, identifyx2; 2nd - protection from arrows, scorching ray x2*|

At the docks, Ashnar has no final questions, but he'll try to discern what it is that made the woman scared. Once the group is alone, he mentally commands Fareye to join him, distracting him as Nurlan brings the others up to speed regarding the royal family. As he realizes what Nurlan tells them, he twitches unvoluntarily. "That was dangerous, Nurlan. If I were in Vossinger's position, having to rely on little-known outsiders, I'd make sure they are being well-observed. Any little slip of tongue might be worked against us." He leaves unspoken the concern that someone might mention Persephone actually being a princess of Monemvassia this way - though he wonders if the princess hasn't already revealed it to too many people.
For someone wanting to remain hidden, she was certainly quite eager telling people that she was a princess, from what he had seen of her. Then again, hiding in plain sight is sometimes the best tactic.
"I'd like to examine those disks a bit closer, I think." Ashnar will use detect magic with his own disk in sight, as well as those of the others ok with having them examined.

NakuruSai

First Post
Mordik curses under his breath. [smallcaps]...POLITICS...![/smallcaps]
Once he's regained his composure...
[smallcaps]
So le's say we find a "conclusion that Medius and Vossinger will not want to acknowledge" -Are we still gonna be paid? what do you think?
[/smallcaps]

NakuruSai

First Post
OOC:
orsal: So it's a masterwork heavy crossbow +1, with 10 normal bolts, yes? or light crossbow? gotta write this down so I have it when I'm ready to use it, should the need arise.

orsal

LEW Judge
NakuruSai said:
OOC:
orsal: So it's a masterwork heavy crossbow +1, with 10 normal bolts, yes? or light crossbow? gotta write this down so I have it when I'm ready to use it, should the need arise.

Masterwork heavy crossbow, no magic, normal bolts.

jkason

First Post
"Perhaps I shouldn't have been so eager to join the adventuring trail," Eanos says darkly, weighing both his own impressions and Nurlan's information. "It can't bode well for our investigation when we can't even count on our employer's motives."

He shakes his head to clear it, then turns to business. "I suppose it's best not to dwell on the elements we can't control. As to what we can: when we get to town, Rinaldo's ... position as a rare animal trader might help us find the sort of person who can identify those tufts of fur. Perhaps our group should start there, while the entertainers set about looking into who might prefer golden lute strings?"

Erekose13

Explorer
"We are best served by finding his murderer either way. The Duke was a powerful man, and killed on one of his own ships too. I had hoped to meet up with Prince Julian at some point, I hope that this investigation does not lead us to find the prince in exile." says Tenebrynn.

Velmont

First Post
"You guys think I look menacing enough to be a guard?" says Mordik

"Might need some training, but it will do. And I've seen many guard that doesn't look much like guards. At worst, you just tell you offer less than the average wage." says Rinaldo

Rinaldo follows the group as they all disembark from the ship. Once back on the solid ground, he asks to his empoyeers "Is there any rangers or trainers that could identify the hair we found?"

Once the employeeers have left, Rinaldo then listen to Nurlan. "I remember Persephone. I had the chance to talk with her a lot during a job we had together. I can confirm what Nurlan just tell."

"I am not certain how well I would be at impersonating an animal trainer, though Fareye will definite help giving that impression." Ashnar silently calls out to his familiar to make sure he is still near.

"That's why I suggested you." replies Rinaldo to Ashnar "No other one have animals companion like yours, and he is bright, so if you can show that to any commoner, he will have no choice than to beleive it."

Eanos shakes his head to clear it, then turns to business. "I suppose it's best not to dwell on the elements we can't control. As to what we can: when we get to town, Rinaldo's ... position as a rare animal trader might help us find the sort of person who can identify those tufts of fur. Perhaps our group should start there, while the entertainers set about looking into who might prefer golden lute strings?"

Rinaldo replies to the monk: "You say you're not made for that, but you've just guess what I have in mind when I suggested both group. I says you have more sense than you think, and it will be usefull."

Once everyone is prepare, Rinaldo says "Nurlan, you'll enter Three Rings first. We will arrive at least an hour later."

orsal

LEW Judge
Velmont said:
"You guys think I look menacing enough to be a guard?" says Mordik

"Might need some training, but it will do. And I've seen many guard that doesn't look much like guards. At worst, you just tell you offer less than the average wage." says Rinaldo

"I'm an entertainer. I'm not a merchant dealing in exotic goods. I wouldn't be hiring a top-notch guard," says Nurlan.

Velmont said:
Once everyone is prepare, Rinaldo says "Nurlan, you'll enter Three Rings first. We will arrive at least an hour later."

"Sounds good to me."

Remove ads