Mad idea: taking a level of exhaustion to regain a once-per-long-rest ability?

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I think it would be fine, however I would take a level of exhaustion for each use of the ability. Which yes, it means Disadvantage on Ability Checks for the first use of something which right now doesn't come with any drawback. But looking at the Exhaustion levels, most players won't care much until they hit Exhaustion Level 3 (level 2 is speed is halved). Make every use of the ability a physically exhausting effort which leaves you feeling it's use afterwards. If you want to use it 5 times in a day and risk death, go for it.

Absolutely - every time you push past your limits you gain another level of exhaustion.

MrHotter

First Post
It seems I'm constantly wanting the feel of effort expended when playing this game. Apparently I want the characters to suffer (or at least give that appearance :) )

It strikes me that it might be cool to allow once per day abilities to be reused if the character suffers a level of exhaustion in the process (perhaps with a Con check to see if it's even possible under the circumstances?). It would be a way for characters to push themselves beyond their limits in exceptional circumstances.

Cool or game-breaking?

I like the concept, but I think you may need to come up with a list of abilites that can be reused. That way the players don't find a 'gotcha' that makes them overpowered. Add things to the list by the players request after you have a chance to think about it.

In novels, you always see the hero finding a way to push past human endurance to come up with the strength needed to win in a situation where they are in over their heads. I think that's what inspiration is supposed to be as well.

What I would worry about is having all the players suddenly using their daily abilities over and over when they know they get to the big bad boss fight. There are also some classes (like a rogue) that would not benefit much from this.

I may allow something like this at my table. Here's what I'm thinking:
Take a level of exhaustion to:
  • Regain a spell slot (Spell level 3-4 is two levels of exhaustion, spell level 5 is three levels. Not avialable past 5)
  • use a spell slot to cast a spell not memorized
  • re-use an ability that refreshes on a long/short rest (subject to DM approval)
  • re-roll a saving throw (including death saves)

I'm not sure how I would handle superiority dice, ki, or rage. Should the player get all uses back, just one, or not have these be on the list as rechargeable by taking exhaustion?

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I like the concept, but I think you may need to come up with a list of abilites that can be reused. That way the players don't find a 'gotcha' that makes them overpowered. Add things to the list by the players request after you have a chance to think about it.

In novels, you always see the hero finding a way to push past human endurance to come up with the strength needed to win in a situation where they are in over their heads. I think that's what inspiration is supposed to be as well.

What I would worry about is having all the players suddenly using their daily abilities over and over when they know they get to the big bad boss fight. There are also some classes (like a rogue) that would not benefit much from this.

I may allow something like this at my table. Here's what I'm thinking:
Take a level of exhaustion to:
  • Regain a spell slot (Spell level 3-4 is two levels of exhaustion, spell level 5 is three levels. Not avialable past 5)
  • use a spell slot to cast a spell not memorized
  • re-use an ability that refreshes on a long/short rest (subject to DM approval)
  • re-roll a saving throw (including death saves)

I'm not sure how I would handle superiority dice, ki, or rage. Should the player get all uses back, just one, or not have these be on the list as rechargeable by taking exhaustion?

Excellent points - and definitely agreed that some kind of guidelines are needed. I like the idea of higher spell slots taking more effort a lot!

Remove ads