D&D General Magitech and Science Fantasy are Fundamental to D&D

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Advanced technology that existed long ago is a trope that I like to pull out of DM Bag o' Tricks every once in a while. Something that's intended to make players respond with "WTF?" and pique* their interest. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

As I mentioned in another thread, I've used "Cavemen with lasers * * " The next adventure I plan to run in my DCC campaign is Crypt of the Science Wizard by Skeeter Green; which assumes that powerful magic and advanced science knowledge existed long ago, but was lost in a cataclysmic event. It combines Mesopotamian culture * * * Necromancy, and Magic Tech. The final battles involves Mummies that are powered by advanced technology.

* Or is it "peak their interest"?
** I don't think it really worked in this case. The players viewed it as just some anomaly and moved on.
*** Might by Egyptian
You’re right. It’s “pique their interest“.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
In published D&D my first real published setting love was Mystara, which built on Dave Arneson's Blackmoor background and had a crashed starship from the "Federation" where the crew had used their advanced technology to dominate the locals. So I've embraced science-fantasy in D&D pretty much from when I started.

I've embraced all of it. D&D is built on a bedrock of science fantasy - and not just science-fantasy but actual science fiction. Folks often forget or don't realize that Blackmoor was the second expansion book published for the game and it had a plot directly ripped from Star Trek right there. And Empire of the Petal Throne was published by TSR as its first licensed setting and Tekumel was explicitly a science-fantasy world. It isn't like the founders of the game were all that precious about mixing sci-fi and fantasy together, because in that era the borders were much more porous than now.

I personally think that folks who want to play D&D with strict "no science fantasy" rules would be better served by the (sadly now no longer published) Adventures in Middle Earth game by Cubicle 7. That was a good version of D&D without the science-fantasy anywhere near it - maybe the Free League version that is supposed to be out soon will be as good. Or my actual personal favorite historical fantasy game, Ars Magica - I personally feel that both give a better "pure fantasy" experience than D&D, which really makes you fight back against the kitchen-sink approach if you want to keep it to just fantasy.
Gamers are notoriously bad at knowing the history of the hobby.

Oofta

Legend
Beholder brainswapped into a human body: HOW DO YOU MANAGE WITH ONLY TWO BLOODY EYES!?!?!?!?

I can see them trying to compensate with a hair style. Not sure it would compensate though...
teenage-punk-girl-with-spiky-hair-in-london-april-1983-B3NPYP.jpg

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
The Prisoner 13 thread got me thinking of Supermans Fortress of Solitude built using magical supertech crystals including a crystal ‘computer’ and holographic AI. That kind of Crystal tech fits perfectly well in fantasy too.

and does anyone remember the Galaxy Rangers episode Heart of Tarkon. The rangers visit a planet that uses medieval tech and ‘magic’ amulets (like Sending stones and Staffs of Telekinesis). Anyway the magic is failing, the rangers are initially dismissive of ‘magic’ as just misunderstood tech, which upsets the king of Tarkon.
Eventually the psychic ranger meets a shaman and learns that the magic is powered by the Heart of Tarkon which isnt just a machine but a living organic bio-computer.
I loved the premise and would be happy to play in such a fantasy world

Last edited:

Mallus

Legend
Put it this way, one of my favorite series that I read as I was getting into D&D back in high school was Julian May's Saga of the Pliocene Exile. Which led to one of my setting design maxims: "It should always be possible for a character to dig up or be gifted an ancient laser".

My current homebrew setting is like a section of a small magi-tech ringworld with portals at either end. Hmmm, make that a small magi-tech Culture orbital.

Appendix N mentions Tolkien alongside post-apocalyptic sci-fi, planetary romance, the father of the Dying Earth sub-genre and whatever Farmer's World of Tiers qualifies as. The relationship between D&D and science-fantasy has been clear from the outset.

Last edited:

Remove ads