• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Make It Yourself

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Well...optimism meets cold hard reality quick enough. And the simple truth is most people can not be creative: this is who they are fundamentally.
You have expressed this view previously and it was ridiculous then, too.
Of course, a bit more creative person might write a spell like "Temporal Conflagration". What does that spell that I just made up do? It crates a firestorm that burns through TIME. Now THAT is a 9th level spell.
And what does that actually do? Or is this "Hollywood creativity" where are just adding "quantum" as a descriptor?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I don't really buy this. It isn't rocket science. If something in the book isn't working for you, change it. Or if it isn't there, add it. Or mod it from another game.

It certainly doesn't have to be professional quality design. It doesn't really have to be "good." It just has to solve your specific problem.

I mean, I get that people enjoy complaining, especially about the classics like LFQW. I'm just saying you can fix most of those things for your own table. You can. I promise.
I agree. I change stuff all the time, or use 3pp that does what I want. I feel for organized play people who are constrained by the system, but nothing can be done for them.

Micah Sweet

There are about 5 or 6 tiers of RPG publishers...
D&D-alikes are, to date, essentially tiers 1, 2 and 5... 5 mostly being OSR games.
Pathfinder, FFG Star Wars, and 40K RPGs seem to be the rest of tier 2... fully an order of magnitude more users than Hero, GURPS, or Savage Worlds on the VTT sides...

Check the SRD...
Why does any of that matter to your table? What difference does market share make?

Micah Sweet

What's fun in an RPG is highly subjective. As such, we should be encouraging people to experiment and create, without worrying overly much about quality or professionalism.

There is nothing wrong with or difficult about mixing the battlemaster and bard to create a Warlord, for example. Just do it. It will need some tweaks. So tweak it.
Or use someone else's warlord. Level Up's Marshal and Mage Hand Press's Captain both fill that conceptual niche.

You have expressed this view previously and it was ridiculous then, too.
I'll stand by my statement that not every person is a creative demigod that can create amazing things...but somehow just does not for some reason.
And what does that actually do? Or is this "Hollywood creativity" where are just adding "quantum" as a descriptor?
Well, it's not like this is a Post your Homebrew Thread. Sadly EN World deleted all even hints of homebrew here years ago......

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I'll stand by my statement that not every person is a creative demigod that can create amazing things...but somehow just does not for some reason.
Except that isn't what you said. You said explicitly that most people are incapable of being creative.
Well, it's not like this is a Post your Homebrew Thread.
is this a Canadian girlfriend excuse?
Sadly EN World deleted all even hints of homebrew here years ago......
What? Nobody tell @dave2008

Get a group of gamers together and ask them to create something....and maybe a 1/4 will even have the skill to do it, though 2-3 of them "won't have the time to do it" or some other such reason.

Just take something simple...like make five fire spells. Most Gamers can't do it.
This is extaordinarily pessimistic. I don't think this is true at all. The act of playing an RPG is itself inherently creative to begin with.

My first exposure to D&D was finding a character sheet of a home-brewed class. I haven't thought about that in a long, long time, but it makes me very happy. This game has so much potential. Make it your own. @Reynard is right. You can do it.
I found my old Black Box set and found some homebrew classes that I made. One of them was a changling class, probably inspired by star trek, that could change into anything but that could only heal by spending 24 hours as goo in a bucket :ROFLMAO:

Remove ads