D&D (2024) Make SPELLS Balanced

And of course, what if there’s additional effects of the spell beyond damage? Like ice storm? Is a round of difficult terrain worth a damage adjustment of some kind?

Yes, but the penalties are sometimes too harsh.
Ice storm for example covers a huge area and one round of difficult terrain can mean one round of extra hurt before the enemies can approach.

Staffan

Legend
Unless the caster can "sculpt" the area effect to avoid hitting allies, the larger the area effect means the less useful the spell is − thus the lower the level it is.
Not if you can cast it at range and catch more enemies without targeting your allies. It and of itself, a bigger boom is better, but there are situations where you'd prefer a smaller one.
True. But it is normally easy to know if the hostile has less than 100 hit points.

In case of doubt, soften the hostile up first before casting Power Word Kill.
The point is that you can't use two Power Words Kill to kill an opponent with 200 hp (ignoring for the moment that you rarely have the ability to cast two 9th level spells). With a Fireball, it doesn't matter much when in the fight you cast it. First round, fifth round, whatever. It might be less efficient in the fifth round because there are fewer targets and/or allies are more mushed up with enemies, but other than that it works just as well. But PWK needs softening up first.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I want an end to some bad spells which were such duds almost nobody took them. But I am not that interested in precise damage balance. Spells are too varied, and what some value in add-ons others don't, and that should remain as personal preference. How do you balance fire damage being more commonly resisted? How to you value forced movement, or restrained? Let players and DMs decide this on their own and just continue to offer a wide variety of combinations and options. I don't want it bogged down too much in an extensive formula behind each spell making sure it's balanced against other spells. I just want all the spells to be roughly as useful to someone, at that same level. Even if one spell is highly circumstantial and the other has broader utility.

Yaarel

He Mage
hmm, might work.

1st level fireball, 3d6, 10ft radius
2nd lvl, 5d6, 15ft radius
3rd lvl, 7d6, 20ft radius
4th level, 9d6, 25ft radius
9th level, 19d6, 50ft radius

Fireball is now 1st level spell. This is now canon.
I like those damage amounts for spells that focus on damage only.

So for 3rd slot, a damage spell that includes an effect that useful and effective in combat would deal closer to 21 damage (6d6). But a spell whose use is mainly damage would deal 24.5 damage (7d6). Essentially, the spell is swapping out damage for a useful effect.

Because there is a quite range from 6d6 until 8d6. There is flexibility to design each spell on a case by case basis, and even some room for error.

Damage is important, because against a hostile in combat, Dead is the best condition. Hit points are both essential and easy to track. Likewise, focus fire is the most effective combat tactic. Almost any other effect prolongs the battle and increases risk.

Regarding the radius of the spell, because of theater of the mind, I am less enthusiastic about micromanaging distances. Normally in combat, the only distances that are useful are: adjacent, within a 30 foot move, or beyond.

Yaarel

He Mage
The purpose of pacing out amounts of damage across levels is to make the higher levels more playable, with balanced expectations at those levels.

Even at lower levels, spells that are obviously more powerful than other spells at the same slot make the rest of the spells less desirable and less useful in comparison.

The benefits of a sober restraint when assigning damage amounts are many.

Yaarel

He Mage
Here is a list of all of the official 5e spells at 1st slot.

In this assessment, spells must be worth preparing. Spells that a character is less likely to prepare probably work better for a nonspell feature, such as skill or nonspell ritual. Normally, spells that are useful in combat are highly regarded. Spells that are versatile and invite thinking outside-the-box, like Silent Image, are also highly regarded. A spell listed as "(near)" has a range of 15 feet or less, and is better for melee-competent characters like Paladin and Hexblade but less good for "squishy" characters like most Wizard builds.

The spells list from Problematic to Worst to Best. Generally spells in the same group are tough choices to choose between. The spells should rank from worse to better. If you feel a particular spell is out of order, mention which two spells it should instead go between.

1st SLOT
Obsolete Spells − 5e skills obsolete this spell − NEEDS RETHINK
Identify → Arcana skill → short rest automatically identifies any magic item
Comprehend Languages → History skill
Jump → Athletics skill
Animal Friendship → Animal Handling skill
Detect Poison and Disease → Medicine skill
Snare → Survival skill
Detect Planar/Good/Evil → Religion/Arcana skill
Detect Magic → Arcana skill (this spell is excellent but works better as skill)

Unworthy Spells − mostly unworthy of preparation − NEEDS RETHINK
Color Spray
Purify Food and Drink
Create Food and Water
Ceremony

Less Useful − ineffective/situational/unlikely to prepare − NEEDS BOOST/RETHINK
Floating Disk
Witchbolt
Speak with Animals
Unseen Servant
Searing Smite (near)

Not Bad − forgivable to prepare but other spells better − NEEDS DOUBLECHECK
Ray of Sickness
Arms of Hadar (near)
Alarm
Beast Bond
Feather Fall
Charm Person
Divine Favor (near)
Compelled Duel (near)
Armor of Agathys
False Life
Hail of Thorns (near)
Longstrider
Bane
Sanctuary

Good − standard effect for this spell slot
Heroism
Ice Knife
Locate Object
Earth Tremor (near)
Burning Hands (near)
Inflict Wounds (near)
Chromatic Orb
Catapult
Chaos Bolt
Fog Cloud
Wrathful Smite (near)
Command
Grease
Cause Fear
Shield of Faith
Protection From Planar/Evil/Good
Thunderwave
Expeditious Retreat
Zephyr Strike (near)
Cure Wounds
Goodberry
Mage Armor
Tashas Caustic Brew
Hellish Rebuke
Dissonant Whispers
Ensnaring Strike (near)
Sleep
Disguise Self
Silent Image

Excellent − may or may not be balanced − NEEDS DOUBLECHECK
Faerie Fire
Thunderous Smite (near)
Hunters Mark
Hex (near)
Absorb Elements
Guiding Bolt
Magic Missile
Healing Word
Find Familiar
Entangle
Tashas Hideous Laughter
Shield
Bless

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
In this assessment, spells must be worth preparing.
However, that's not always a factor when it comes to a wizard (assuming that hasn't changed). Look at floating disk for example, would I prepare that spell, no most likely not. Would as a wizard I want that in my book so I can ritually it out whenever I need, yes absolutely.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
These are interesting lists. I'll offer some thoughts.
Obsolete Spells − 5e skills obsolete this spell − NEEDS RETHINK
Identify → Arcana skill → short rest automatically identifies any magic item
Comprehend Languages → History skill
Jump → Athletics skill
Animal Friendship → Animal Handling skill
Detect Poison and Disease → Medicine skill
Snare → Survival skill
Detect Planar/Good/Evil → Religion/Arcana skill
Detect Magic → Arcana skill (this spell is excellent but works better as skill)
I agree with all of these except Comprhend Languages. You can learn the languages, or use magic. History is not a substitute.Comprehend languages is an invaluable first-level spell for some campaigns, and is exactly what a ritual first-level spell should be.
Unworthy Spells − mostly unworthy of preparation − NEEDS RETHINK
Color Spray
Purify Food and Drink
Create Food and Water
Ceremony
Ceremony should never have been introduced. It is terrible. Ceremonies should not have a mechanical effect, and should be what the Acolyte background lets you do.

I don't understand the hate of Color Spray.

Purify/create are obstacle-avoiding spells (as is goodberry), and it completely defangs some adventures, where the challenge is in deprivation. They're not unworthy, but when they are relevant, they are antagonistic to the plot of the adventure. They reinforce an us vs the DM mentality, instead of a collaborative one.
Less Useful − ineffective/situational/unlikely to prepare − NEEDS BOOST/RETHINK
Floating Disk
Witchbolt
Speak with Animals
Unseen Servant
Three of these are rituals (as are four of the spells in the categories above). That, I think, is telling: it suggests that your problem is with rituals spells (which is reinforced with the new ritual rules -- bring back ritual casting from before). I have had characters take Ritual caster in order to have access to Floating Disk and Unseen Servant specifically.

Rituals have a real place in the game, and they don't all need to be cranked up to 11, unless players have to squeeze out more effective options because space is limited (as with the new Rit Caster feat).
Not Bad − forgivable to prepare but other spells better − NEEDS DOUBLECHECK
Ray of Sickness
Arms of Hadar (near)
Alarm
Beast Bond
Feather Fall
Charm Person
Divine Favor (near)
Compelled Duel (near)
Armor of Agathys
False Life
Hail of Thorns (near)
Longstrider
Bane
Sanctuary
I have no concerns about any of these -- I think Feather Fall should be yourself-only, but that ship has sailed. "Forgiveable" is a bit loaded. ;)
Good − standard effect for this spell slot
Heroism
Ice Knife
Searing Smite (near)
Locate Object
Earth Tremor (near)
Burning Hands (near)
Inflict Wounds (near)
Chromatic Orb
Catapult
Chaos Bolt
Fog Cloud
Wrathful Smite (near)
Command
Grease
Cause Fear
Shield of Faith
Protection From Planar/Evil/Good
Thunderwave
Expeditious Retreat
Zephyr Strike (near)
Cure Wounds
Goodberry
Mage Armor
Tashas Caustic Brew
Hellish Rebuke
Dissonant Whispers
Ensnaring Strike (near)
Sleep
Faerie Fire
Disguise Self
Silent Image
Goodberry is not a problem if (a) each berry takes an action to eat, (b) you can't make someone unconscious eat food, and (c) you ignore the sage advice about the intersection with Life Cleric.

Faerie Fire is very strong throughout the game; I'd call it excellent (not overpowered)

I've never liked Disguise self as a spell (I'd put it in your Obsolete category).
Excellent − may or may not be balanced − NEEDS DOUBLECHECK
Thunderous Smite (near)
Hunters Mark
Hex (near)
Absorb Elements
Guiding Bolt
Magic Missile
Healing Word
Find Familiar
Entangle
Tashas Hideous Laughter
Shield
I have no problems with any of these; problems occur only with edge case multiclass builds, IME

Damn... my character has made very good use of spells of the first three categories... all. Of the mentioned rituals. And colour spray. A great spell actually. I took it as my arcane trickster illusion and was surprised myself how often it saved us. As a multiclass caster i have even upcasted it to level 3 a few times. 10d10 hp is average 55 hp and a good chance to affect at least 45 hp.
Since it works without a save, it has its uses. I'd love spells that work on hp tesholds to have a chance to have a lesser effect on enemies with higher hp.

Last edited:

Remove ads