D&D 5E Making Every Class "Short Rest"-based?

Should all classes be based on short-rests for recover of features, etc.?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Someone might have already done this, but I didn't have any luck searching for it, so here we are.

I've recently been pondering the idea of turning every class into a short-rest based class so features would all be regained on a short rest.
Long rests would still replenish hit points and half hit dice, etc., but that would be it.

Obviously, a lot of changes would be required, so I was curious if others found the idea appealing or not?

Thanks!

guachi

Hero
Some time in 2015 I turned every class into a long rest class. I might have been able to keep the short/long rest as it was written but I really didn't trust myself to balance the game. Players with with short rest PCs loved it. They were vastly more likely to use their abilities, which is what I wanted. Players with long rest PCs weren't really affected. There was less tension to rest just so some PC could get abilities back, though there was still resting to recover HP (10 minutes instead of 1 hour).

I voted "do the opposite" but I certainly wouldn't object to playing a game where everyone was on a short rest.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Some time in 2015 I turned every class into a long rest class. I might have been able to keep the short/long rest as it was written but I really didn't trust myself to balance the game. Players with with short rest PCs loved it. They were vastly more likely to use their abilities, which is what I wanted. Players with long rest PCs weren't really affected. There was less tension to rest just so some PC could get abilities back, though there was still resting to recover HP (10 minutes instead of 1 hour).
That’s funny, I’m exactly the opposite of your players. I never hesitate to use short rest abilities (though I try not to use them more than once per encounter) because they’re easy to get back. Long rest abilities I have a hard time evaluating when to use them because I can’t easily predict how long an adventuring day will be and taking a long rest is a much bigger commitment.

I’m all for making all classes short rest based. I low-key hate daily ability recovery.

If anything I prefer they all be long rest oriented. It doesn't really matter to me in principle, but I'm not satisfied with either Monks or Warlocks in their current form and rebalancing the 2 and a half short rest classes seems more reasonable than rebalancing everything else.

However I voted "Other" because I think all classes should get something back on a short rest. Features like Wizard Arcane Recovery or Bardic Inspiration (after level 5) make it so that even the unharmed group members get some benefit when someone desperately needs rest.

guachi

Hero
The first campaign I made everyone long rest had anywhere from 1 to 12 encounters in the adventuring day. Classes were Ranger x2, Sorcerer, Monk, Druid, Wizard, Paladin, Rogue, Barbarian (though not all at the same time). The 12 encounter day had everyone running on fumes (the rogue wasn't in the game at the time). The 1 encounter day was a blast as short rest focused characters like the monk went nuts. And he needed to considering all he had to face.

At the current stage of D&D, I think a character should be able to do their regular main trick at least once per encounter, with some classes going Nova once per game session.

IMHO, the warlock is basically the only reason the "short vs long rest" debate even exist. You can see that most multiclass combos revolve around their short rest mechanic. If the warlock was a "long rest"-type caster, I think most people would agree that non-caster classes should rely on short rest resources and casters on long rest resource management.

Edit: I am not advocating any changes to the warlock class per se. I'm just saying I think they are the odd caster that generates so much heat.

Last edited:

I'd rather have class getting their power back in sync than a mix, so even if I voter "make them all long rest based", I'd be interested in what you could create. My (slight) preference for LR based is because getting all powers back on SR would make spellcaster able to easily nova each fight, and there are already people who find them overpowered as is. The increase of power to the SR classes would need to be great if everyone became SR-based.

Ive been working on a variant just like this, although instead of SR based, the classes are all 'encounter' based.

Every class has 'Talents' [known/ readied] like 3.5's Warblade/ ToB classes, that refresh per encounter (with a limited 'in encounter' refresh option).

For casters, they're 'spells'. For martials, they're 'maneuvers'.

The number of maneuvers readied is based on character level (like Multiclass Spell Slots in 5E) but the [spells/maneuvers] known is based on class and level (again, like Spells known in 5E).

Spells/ maneuvers can be 'upcast' or used with a higher level talent slot, just like MC spellcasters.

Sticking with one class (say Fighter) gets you access to higher level talents, whereas MCing gets you access to a broader range of talents (again, just like MC spellcasters in 5e).

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Ive been working on a variant just like this, although instead of SR based, the classes are all 'encounter' based.

Every class has 'Talents' [known/ readied] like 3.5's Warblade/ ToB classes, that refresh per encounter (with a limited 'in encounter' refresh option).

For casters, they're 'spells'. For martials, they're 'maneuvers'.

The number of maneuvers readied is based on character level (like Multiclass Spell Slots in 5E) but the [spells/maneuvers] known is based on class and level (again, like Spells known in 5E).

Spells/ maneuvers can be 'upcast' or used with a higher level talent slot, just like MC spellcasters.

Sticking with one class (say Fighter) gets you access to higher level talents, whereas MCing gets you access to a broader range of talents (again, just like MC spellcasters in 5e).
Sounds interesting. I'd be curious to see it when you're finsihed.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases