Mando season 3

The Jedi were meant to be the good guys. One of the many things the prequels have to answer for IMO is muddying the waters and making them out to be deserving of their fall. (And then the sequels doubled down on it by declaring that it was “time for the Jedi to end”.)
No this is a total nonsense fan-canon bollocks that people like you are far too smart to be repeating.

Stop it!

Everyone who is saying this kind of stuff as if it were fact needs to stop. Period. What they Jedi were "meant to be" was entirely in Lucas' mind, and even from early drafts of Star Wars concepts, there were signs that they were not pure "good guys" in some Paladin-ish way, but flawed beings, largely trying to do the right thing. Just because you made that up in your head, and decided it was true, before finding out it wasn't, doesn't make it unfair that that changed. Nor inappropriate or wrong or anything like that.
Before the prequels came along, that wasn’t necessarily the case. All we knew was that the Jedi were the guardians of peace and justice for a thousand generations. They were the noble, heroic knights defending the innocent.

I lay the tarnishing of the Jedi Order’s reputation squarely at George Lucas’ feet.
Is this a joke?

Are you doing a bit?

Lucas envisioned and created the Jedi. If his view was that they were imperfect, and that's why they got wiped out - then that's the correct view - the only view, even, that matters.

In Episode 4 we only saw two Jedi - Obi-Wan - who somehow evaded a purge of his kind - and Darth Vader, who we later learned had turned traitor on his fellow Jedi - that's not a great record right there, so mindlessly assuming everything Obi-Wan said was 100% hard fact is was pretty silly. We had no idea if what Obi-Wan was saying about the Jedi was objectively true, largely true, or true only from "a certain point of view". Lucas knew, and he knew it was one of the latter two.

You don't get to death-of-the-author (which isn't even what that means) Lucas here. You don't get to say "Lucas tarnished their reputation". In this sense, Lucas is a historian of his own universe, writing episodes 1, 2, and 3. Filling in just how it came to be that these mystical good guys totally fell on their face, got owned, and got purged.

Further, even if the majority of Jedi were "noble and heroic", which y'know, may well be true, the structure of the organisation was clearly and plainly rotten by the PT era (or the High Republic even), and that why, after 3000+ years of Jedi and Sith, with the Sith always losing, the Jedi finally lost like losers - at great cost to the galaxy. Specifically the issue seems to be, in Lucas and Disney's view, essentially "regulatory capture".

For the 3000+ years before the High Republic period, it seems like the Jedi operated largely independently of the Republic, such that it was. That they were not integrated into its governance and military, and probably, though we don't know, opposed it at times, perhaps even having to use violence (this period is unclear, but it seems likely "noble, heroic knights" and "guardians of peace and justice" would clash with politicians and militarists, doesn't it?).

The problem in the High Republic period is that the Jedi of that era (including ones alive in the PT) felt that the Jedi and the Republic were so well-aligned that the Jedi should basically work for - rather than with - the Republic, and became integrated into it in a way that hadn't previously been the case. As such, they were no longer in a position to argue with the Republic, merely to do its bidding, and when the Separatist issue appeared (at least in part because of Sith manipulation, though I doubt it was entirely their making, probably a long-brewing issue - the Senate were clearly shown as politician-corrupt - i.e. pork barrel, I've got mine, moral cowardice etc. - in both the High Republic and PT eras), the Jedi could no longer act as neutral mediators, even though they tried to, because they were clearly on the side of the Galactic Senate, who completely opposed the Separatists. The Jedi were basically taking orders from the Galactic Senate at that point, which means they couldn't be "noble and heroic knights", because they were serving a corrupt and self-interested system - not the will of the Force, which is what they needed to be serving. This was reinforced when war broke out, and the Jedi made a series of terrible decisions, not least accepting this mysterious gift of slave-soldiers (so "good" of them, so "noble"), which turned out to be a trojan horse. They essentially became the military leaders of the Republic, which is insane, given their mission, and shows how severe the "regulatory capture" had become.

What we knew from 4/5/6 was that the Jedi were wiped out by two Sith. Two. And it sure as hell wasn't in combat. So an explanation was needed - and that explanation was always going to require at the very least the Jedi Order to be a bunch of screw ups by that era. They should never have become the military/enforcement wing of the Republic, and should have followed the will of the Force, not of a bunch of politicians.

Lucas seems to want us to question Jedi traditions, too, of taking kids, at a very young age, at least sometimes from very vulnerable parents, and possibly allowing only one Force-tradition - theirs - to exist. And it's reasonable for him to want that to be questioned, frankly. Especially as Luke, Rey and others show that you don't have to do that, and indeed, perhaps it's not even a good idea, but rather a tradition that lived on long past its sell-by date. I mean, whilst Anakin was slightly older than the kids the Jedi normally took and this made them extremely doubtful, the history of the Jedi is littered with figures who were taken at the right age, trained as Jedi, and turned out to be bad eggs anyway - Count Dooku being an easy example.

Stalker0

Legend
No this is a total nonsense fan-canon bollocks that people like you are far too smart to be repeating.

Stop it!

Everyone who is saying this kind of stuff as if it were fact needs to stop. Period. What they Jedi were "meant to be" was entirely in Lucas' mind, and even from early drafts of Star Wars concepts, there were signs that they were not pure "good guys" in some Paladin-ish way, but flawed beings, largely trying to do the right thing. Just because you made that up in your head, and decided it was true, before finding out it wasn't, doesn't make it unfair that that changed. Nor inappropriate or wrong or anything like that.
i think your confusing Lucas rights with Lucas quality.

Did Lucas have the “right” (hehe or the “write”…get it) to make the Jedi as he saw fit, of course. He’s the creator.

Was it a good idea? Ultimately that is a question for the audience that consumes your material. Authors “botch” the sequel all the time, for one reason or the other. The consumer is always the one who decide the quality of the product

i think your confusing Lucas rights with Lucas quality.

Did Lucas have the “right” (hehe or the “write”…get it) to make the Jedi as he saw fit, of course. He’s the creator.

Was it a good idea? Ultimately that is a question for the audience that consumes your material. Authors “botch” the sequel all the time, for one reason or the other. The consumer is always the one who decide the quality of the product
No, I'm not confusing the two at all.

It's really pretty simple. A small percentage of Star Wars fans took every word Obi-Wan said re: the Jedi as gospel truth, and assumed, completely uncritically and without the slightest curiosity, that all Jedi and the Jedi Order (which wasn't even named in the OT, note) were absolute and completely infallible beacons of light and goodness.

This despite exactly 33% of the Jedi Order-trained Jedi in the OT having turned evil. Just absolutely wild stuff.

You literally do not get to say Lucas - or any other author - "screwed up" or the like merely because he didn't create something that fit your entirely assumption-based headcanon. You are entitled to not like it, but to claim a "screw up" or "mistake" or the like you need more than your own headcanon.

Regardless, if we agree with your premise that it is a question for the audience, then the vast bulk of the audience agrees with Lucas and Filoni's approach (and Yoda and Qui-Gon's textual comments - and later Ahsoka's), which is that the Jedi Order as an organisation was increasingly in error by the PT era, if not the High Republic era. That doesn't negate individual heroism by Jedi, even the majority of Jedi - individuals can be trying to do good even as their organisation is structurally failing. Really the only group of people who see the Jedi as "all heroes" is a small, aging group who saw and internalised the OT before the PT was out, and also took Obi-Wan literally and who care about the issue. That's probably like 1-5% of Star Wars fans, and a smaller proportion of casual viewers.

Clint_L

Hero
It would make everyone freak out, and not in a good way, but I honestly think a full reboot of the franchise is probably required to fully address Star Wars' accumulated problems at this point.
Yeah, but then Andor.

Just keep making shows like that, where the writers take the implications of the setting and character development seriously, and don't just focus on rule of cool. Like, look at that last episode of Mando. Fun, but total nonsense. That's the problem with where most Star Wars shows have gone - you just can't take them seriously or emotionally connect with any of the characters because they are just stereotypes without relatable emotions or motivations.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Yeah, but then Andor.

Just keep making shows like that, where the writers take the implications of the setting and character development seriously, and don't just focus on rule of cool. Like, look at that last episode of Mando. Fun, but total nonsense. That's the problem with where most Star Wars shows have gone - you just can't take them seriously or emotionally connect with any of the characters because they are just stereotypes without relatable emotions or motivations.
I fail to see how fun is always an issue....sometimes fun is enough for some people. YMMV, of course.

Clint_L

Hero
I fail to see how fun is always an issue....sometimes fun is enough for some people. YMMV, of course.
The issue is that I can take or leave most of those shows because there’s no substance to them. If you told me Mando was not being renewed I would shrug - there’s plenty of similar quality entertainment.

I would and have subscribed to services that offer particularly high quality entertainment. It’s why I renew HBO for a few months every year. Andor belongs in that conversation, at least for me and, judging by the general acclaim, for a lot of other folks.

Stop it!

Is this a joke?

Are you doing a bit?

Lucas envisioned and created the Jedi. If his view was that they were imperfect, and that's why they got wiped out - then that's the correct view - the only view, even, that matters.

In Episode 4 we only saw two Jedi - Obi-Wan - who somehow evaded a purge of his kind - and Darth Vader, who we later learned had turned traitor on his fellow Jedi - that's not a great record right there, so mindlessly assuming everything Obi-Wan said was 100% hard fact is was pretty silly. We had no idea if what Obi-Wan was saying about the Jedi was objectively true, largely true, or true only from "a certain point of view". Lucas knew, and he knew it was one of the latter two.

You don't get to death-of-the-author (which isn't even what that means) Lucas here. You don't get to say "Lucas tarnished their reputation". In this sense, Lucas is a historian of his own universe, writing episodes 1, 2, and 3. Filling in just how it came to be that these mystical good guys totally fell on their face, got owned, and got purged.

Further, even if the majority of Jedi were "noble and heroic", which y'know, may well be true, the structure of the organisation was clearly and plainly rotten by the PT era (or the High Republic even), and that why, after 3000+ years of Jedi and Sith, with the Sith always losing, the Jedi finally lost like losers - at great cost to the galaxy. Specifically the issue seems to be, in Lucas and Disney's view, essentially "regulatory capture".

For the 3000+ years before the High Republic period, it seems like the Jedi operated largely independently of the Republic, such that it was. That they were not integrated into its governance and military, and probably, though we don't know, opposed it at times, perhaps even having to use violence (this period is unclear, but it seems likely "noble, heroic knights" and "guardians of peace and justice" would clash with politicians and militarists, doesn't it?).

The problem in the High Republic period is that the Jedi of that era (including ones alive in the PT) felt that the Jedi and the Republic were so well-aligned that the Jedi should basically work for - rather than with - the Republic, and became integrated into it in a way that hadn't previously been the case. As such, they were no longer in a position to argue with the Republic, merely to do its bidding, and when the Separatist issue appeared (at least in part because of Sith manipulation, though I doubt it was entirely their making, probably a long-brewing issue - the Senate were clearly shown as politician-corrupt - i.e. pork barrel, I've got mine, moral cowardice etc. - in both the High Republic and PT eras), the Jedi could no longer act as neutral mediators, even though they tried to, because they were clearly on the side of the Galactic Senate, who completely opposed the Separatists. The Jedi were basically taking orders from the Galactic Senate at that point, which means they couldn't be "noble and heroic knights", because they were serving a corrupt and self-interested system - not the will of the Force, which is what they needed to be serving. This was reinforced when war broke out, and the Jedi made a series of terrible decisions, not least accepting this mysterious gift of slave-soldiers (so "good" of them, so "noble"), which turned out to be a trojan horse. They essentially became the military leaders of the Republic, which is insane, given their mission, and shows how severe the "regulatory capture" had become.

What we knew from 4/5/6 was that the Jedi were wiped out by two Sith. Two. And it sure as hell wasn't in combat. So an explanation was needed - and that explanation was always going to require at the very least the Jedi Order to be a bunch of screw ups by that era. They should never have become the military/enforcement wing of the Republic, and should have followed the will of the Force, not of a bunch of politicians.

Lucas seems to want us to question Jedi traditions, too, of taking kids, at a very young age, at least sometimes from very vulnerable parents, and possibly allowing only one Force-tradition - theirs - to exist. And it's reasonable for him to want that to be questioned, frankly. Especially as Luke, Rey and others show that you don't have to do that, and indeed, perhaps it's not even a good idea, but rather a tradition that lived on long past its sell-by date. I mean, whilst Anakin was slightly older than the kids the Jedi normally took and this made them extremely doubtful, the history of the Jedi is littered with figures who were taken at the right age, trained as Jedi, and turned out to be bad eggs anyway - Count Dooku being an easy example.
I agree with your interpretation, and add that expanding the story made it narratively necessary for the jedi to have feat of clay.

However, you need to take account the significance of first impressions when analysing people reactions. In Star Wars (the film later retailed Episode IV: A New Hope) there was nothing to suggest the jedi where anything other than saintly paragons. So for those who came in at the beginning, so to speak, that was all they had to go on. And first impressions are even more strongly imbedded if they are received as children. Even when Empire Strikes Back came out, a lot of people believed it was Darth Vader who was lying, not Obi-Wan. Again, I will point out they where children, and could not be expected to be genre savvy. So there where six formative years before jedi where confirmed as being economical with the truth.

Ryujin

Legend
I agree with your interpretation, and add that expanding the story made it narratively necessary for the jedi to have feat of clay.

However, you need to take account the significance of first impressions when analysing people reactions. In Star Wars (the film later retailed Episode IV: A New Hope) there was nothing to suggest the jedi where anything other than saintly paragons. So for those who came in at the beginning, so to speak, that was all they had to go on. And first impressions are even more strongly imbedded if they are received as children. Even when Empire Strikes Back came out, a lot of people believed it was Darth Vader who was lying, not Obi-Wan. Again, I will point out they where children, and could not be expected to be genre savvy. So there where six formative years before jedi where confirmed as being economical with the truth.
The original trilogy was presented as a White Hat/Black Hat Western. The prequels were more than a little jarring, after that, as political intrigue, grey area 'nuanced' movies. It felt like Lucas thought he had grown as an author and thought he had to retcon the original premise.

The original trilogy was presented as a White Hat/Black Hat Western. The prequels were more than a little jarring, after that, as political intrigue, grey area 'nuanced' movies. It felt like Lucas thought he had grown as an author and thought he had to retcon the original premise.
Weather he had always intended it (whish he says and I see no reason to disbelieve) or he changed it, it was the right decision. Black and White is nice at first but gets boring fast. One of the prequel trilogy's flaws is they where too subtle about it.

Remove ads