Mando season 3

Why don't you agree? It's pronounced "rout" by Tarkin, it's spelled "rout" in the subtitles, and the phrase "rout them out" literally means what they were using it to mean in that scene. Where is the confusion?
Are you really going to try and argue opinion in this way? There's no confusion, there are different opinions.

I honestly just don't believe that the writer in question knows the difference between "root out" and "rout out". Especially as they used it on a character with a strong English accent, and it's a pretty obscure Americanism, and the natural thing to say would be "root out" (as I noted, it's literally the first example if you Google it). The only interesting aspect is that as you mention this, I remember Bad Batch did, I think last season or much earlier in this, have a very extreme Americanism (I forget what but it was something really wild) in the mouth of an English-accented Imperial and it sounded kind of hilarious as a result. I have no idea if that was the same writer though.

But if you want to die on the hill of defending the idea that a random writer definitely knows the difference and totally intentionally meant this, and we must agree with you or else, then y'know, go ahead.

MarkB

Legend
Are you really going to try and argue opinion in this way? There's no confusion, there are different opinions.

I honestly just don't believe that the writer in question knows the difference between "root out" and "rout out". Especially as they used it on a character with a strong English accent, and it's a pretty obscure Americanism, and the natural thing to say would be "root out" (as I noted, it's literally the first example if you Google it). The only interesting aspect is that as you mention this, I remember Bad Batch did, I think last season or much earlier in this, have a very extreme Americanism (I forget what but it was something really wild) in the mouth of an English-accented Imperial and it sounded kind of hilarious as a result. I have no idea if that was the same writer though.

But if you want to die on the hill of defending the idea that a random writer definitely knows the difference and totally intentionally meant this, and we must agree with you or else, then y'know, go ahead.
I'm English. I've heard "rout out" used this way often enough that it didn't even raise an eyebrow for me until you mentioned it. I'd certainly not consider it an "extreme Americanism", and I just find it bizarre that you've assumed they were intending to use a different phrase and somehow managed to accidentally land on this one that means exactly what they were using it to mean, rather than having deliberately used it to mean exactly what it means.

pukunui

Legend
The whole "eating apart" thing flies in the face of basic humanity, camaraderie and like every military organisation in human history, and is profoundly demented (Bo Katan did seem to be displeased with it at least, rather than being all "This Is The Way").
Despite looking like one, I'd say they're not a military organisation at all. The eating apart thing is very much in line with cult behavior, which is designed to discourage camaraderie and basic humanity. That said, I was expecting them all to just lift their helmets enough that they could put food in their mouths as they've shown Din doing in the past.

The most disorganised and needlessly dangerous climb in history - like, you pick a route, and you all follow it, learning from your fellow climbers - you don't all separately climb the mountain together. So needlessly weird. With a better writer I'd say it was intentionally emblematic of how disorganised and individualist the cult-Mandalorians seem to be. Here I think Favreau just has never climbed anything in his damn life (amazing, given even I have), and never bothered to think about how it work work. So the kid is fine after god-knows-how-long in some internal pouch (we have to assume not a stomach) of this pterosaur? Weird. And now Bo Katan wants to join the cult? At least she got dumb-as-a-box-rocks mystical bollocks answers out of Hammer Lady. Again, with a better writer, I'd assume that left her disappointed, but we can't assume that with Favreau.
I don't think Bo-Katan wants to join the cult. She wants to take over the cult and use them to reclaim Mandalore. And it's entirely possible that Favreau is making the others look incompetent in comparison to Bo-Katan on purpose so it's more obvious that she's a leader who knows how to get things done and someone who can shape these cultists into a real force to be reckoned with.

I just find it bizarre that you've assumed they were intending to use a different phrase and somehow managed to accidentally land on this one that means exactly what they were using it to mean, rather than having deliberately used it to mean exactly what it means.
Good thing that's not what I've assumed.

I'm suggesting that, like a lot of people, they're using words that sound similar but mean different things, and in this case, it would be very easy to make that particular mistake, especially once the American English and British English pronunciations of route (another related word) and it's derivations get into the mix.

At best, it was a bizarre decision - the natural language choice would be to use root out, because spies are a thing you root out. They're one of the commonest things you "root out". So why swap to a much more obscure/culturally specific usage which ends up meaning something similar? The answer I believe is "because you don't know better".

It's an absolutely an obscure Americanism - my wife is American and extremely well-read/educated and has never heard of this usage you're describing (as in "uncover"), though perhaps it's regional (she's from near Chicago). It's not as extreme as the other one they used previously though - I can't remember what that was but it was genuinely funny to hear someone with an RP accent say it like it was just a normal word (it was something like "caboose", but like, more obscure).

I guess there is perhaps an entirely alternative theory of the crime - that this writer knows full well what the correct British English would be, and knows full well that this is a weird thing to do, but thinks it's funny to make Imperials with RP accents say these words/phrase. The fact that it's happened before lends some credence to that approach. 🤷‍♂️

EDIT - As a totally 100% pointless aside, I will note the baleful influence of Top Gear (specifically) has created a situation where a bunch of American journalists of a certain age (about 30-50) who write about cars use Anglicisms of varying extreme-ness routinely, so it's not a one-way street.

Last edited:

Despite looking like one, I'd say they're not a military organisation at all. The eating apart thing is very much in line with cult behavior, which is designed to discourage camaraderie and basic humanity.
I certainly HOPE that's correct.
That said, I was expecting them all to just lift their helmets enough that they could put food in their mouths as they've shown Din doing in the past.
Yeah I was surprised too given that Mando has done this a ton - but maybe that makes him a NAUGHTY BOY by the cult's standards, and now his buddies are around, he's got to behave?
I don't think Bo-Katan wants to join the cult. She wants to take over the cult and use them to reclaim Mandalore. And it's entirely possible that Favreau is making the others look incompetent in comparison to Bo-Katan on purpose so it's more obvious that she's a leader who knows how to get things done and someone who can shape these cultists into a real force to be reckoned with.
Maybe. I hope so. I'm just a little concerned.

Stalker0

Legend
With respect, if your taking the position that a character said an accurate word, pronounced it in the correct way, and the word was a perfectly fine word for the situation at hand..... yet "this was a mistake", how do you justify that?

If I can use correct words with correct pronunciation but be told I'm wrong "as a matter of opinion", there is no discourse at that point.

With respect, if your taking the position that a character said an accurate word, pronounced it in the correct way, and the word was a perfectly fine word for the situation at hand..... yet "this was a mistake", how do you justify that?
LOL I explained this in utterly needless detail. Did you miss all my posts? It's definitely not "with respect" to ask me to re-explain without even quoting or showing any evidence whatsoever of having read those posts!
If I can use correct words with correct pronunciation but be told I'm wrong "as a matter of opinion", there is no discourse at that point.
Ironic lol.

pukunui

Legend
Hey, so in other news, the Aus/NZ Star Wars Facebook page is doing a competition for people to win passes (plus flights, accommodation, etc) to a "season 3 finale screening + live Q&A session with Katee Sackhoff" in Melbourne on April 19.

While it's entirely possible that Pedro simply wasn't available for the event, that's got me thinking that maybe this season will end up with Bo-Katan on top, having regained the darksaber and maybe even Mandalore (although they might be saving that for another season).

Stalker0

Legend
LOL I explained this in utterly needless detail. Did you miss all my posts? It's definitely not "with respect" to ask me to re-explain without even quoting or showing any evidence whatsoever of having read those posts!
Read every word. It boiled down to you felt "root" was a more natural use of language than "rout" in this context, and so the intention of the writer was off in this case (potentially due to an American obscurity unknown to the writer).

Your reply, as detailed as it was, ultimately did not sway. As has been noted, rout is a perfect valid use of the word in this context. So your feeling that the word choice was "unnatural" was simply a personal one. This would have been fine, and when others mentioned it, a simple lesson learned and moved on, but it started into this weird debate about a perfectly valid word choice, and so I continue that weird debate again.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases