D&D 5E Martials should just get free feats

ECMO3

Hero
Fighter AC 18 181hp 4 attacks +11 1d8+7
wizard AC 17 120hp 1 attack +11 1d8+3d8+5+int mod (lets say that is 3)
You are putting numbers up here that prove my point.

the claim is 95% of tankability and you post a wizard that has a lower AC and 66% of the hps of the fighter - or 50% of the fighter if you include 3-daily second wind (unless you are burning spell slots on false life and then the other statement below is untrue).

4 weapon attacks totaling 4d8+28 is A LOT MORE damage than one spell attack at 4d8+5. It is twice as much .... and I don't know where the int mod is coming from, are you talking about Empowered Evocation from the School of Evocation subclass?

So the numbers you posted above is roughly 50% of the tankability and 50% of the melee damage. It is not anywhere close to 95% of the tankability and 100% of the damage!

wizard still has they'r swiss army win buttons of spells

If you have them prepared and don't use the to slots to be able to tank better than a fighter sure.

Last edited:

You are not considering shields which every martial character except a Monk can use. Yes
right cause getting a shield prof is easy, and aagain anyone can get it... so no that didn't enter in, and at best gives the fighter a +2 AC but also the warcleric and I think hexblade and valor bard but I would have to check... if your argument is that shield prof is equal to having 3rd+ level spells you are in a bad postion already... let alone 9th level spells.
If they have an 20 Dexterity, which is not common at all. A fighter can have an 18
if stats are equal to start fighter has 1 feat/ASI bonus over the caster at level 6 (so by level 12 witch is the entire game for most people, and more then half the game for everyone) and 2 feat/asi by 20th (16th or 17th I think)
The fighter can have a BOTH 20 strength and a 20 dex, get it earlier than a wizard with the same rolls can get a 20Int and 20Dex, have more hit points and a higher constitution to boot (due to the extra ASI) .
notice I didn't give the wizard a 20 Int at all... if you WANT TO MELEE you most likely will put dex and con over int.
So there is no combat-related reason such a fighter will be in studded leather when he could just as easily where plate and have a better AC.
maybe I will give you this... I just am not used to seeing fighters with 15+ dex wearing heavy armor since they can't use there dex in it (exception is the barbarian subclass from middle earth that lets you use full dex in any armor... I have seen that end up with plate(full or half) + high dex) in theory you could get 1 more with plate I just don't see it often enough to have thought that way.
If the Wizard is going to boost his dexterity all the way to 20 to get that 18 AC and bolster your strawman argument,
this isn't a strawman since I didn't assume any argument on your or anyone else part... I think you want to accuse me of a different fake made up fallacy from debate class... but we are talking not debating for points so I don't care enough to even learn them... but I do know this isn't a strawman.
then the dex-based fighter is certainly going to boost his strength to at least 15 to be able to do the same thing. If that extra poinf AC is enough for the Wizard to take multiple ASIs to get to 18, then it is worth it for the fighter to take fewer ASIs (or just start with a 15) to get it.
once again, okay fair enough +1 higher AC for plate.
Which brings up another good point - If we are playing on point buy, the Wizard can start with a 16AC if he invests heavily in dexterity. The dex-based fighter only needs to invest 15 in strength to be able to use all armors, effectively making 18AC possible at 1st level,
I may just have missed it but what class or background gives you plate at 1st level?
1. The fighter using a rapier is going to have a AC of 21 as illustrated above since he will be wearing plate and a shield, or alternatively he will have a 20 AC and be doing 1d8+7 with dueling. Why would he not be wearing plate and a shield when using a rapier?
if you see the edit I missed the dueling I admited that within 3 or 4 minutes of posting... the AC I will grant you is 1 higher (and both can grab shields)
2. It looks like you are using subclasses here and chose an extremely weak Champion as your fighter.
here we go... the champion is the defualt... I gave it cause it is easy. you want to try to run something better (my guess will be rune knight or psiknight) you will be at the same for atwill output EXCEPT loose that 18+crit and half prof to a bunch of skills to get some (admitidly more fun) tricks a few times per day... but nothing on par with a 5th level spell, most likely you wont find something like a 3rd level one but for sure the 2 6th 2 7th 1 8th and 1 9th level spell the wizard has alone not countign the other 5 levels will blow those options away so it wont help.
3. I am not sure what you are doing for the Wizard number here. If you are looking at a bladesinger with a 20 dex and 16 intelligence the actual damage is in bladesong 1 attack 1d8+8, 1 cantrip attack 4d8+8.
the base weapon is 1d8+5 plus 3d8+3 fire and an ajacent creature takes 3d8+3 fire.
So to correct the fighter numbers, since the actual attack bonuses are the same we will assume all hits:

Fighter: 1d8+7 with crit on 18+ is 12.175 per hit or 48.7 per attack action. With 6 fights a day, 2 fights per short rest and 4 rounds per fighter gets 30 attack actions a day (24 actions, 6 action surges). Total melee damage for the day is 1461 damage (assuming all hits)

Wizard: 5d8+14 is 39.625 damage per attack action in bladesong. He gets 24 attack actions total melee damage for the day of 951 or roughly two thirds of the damage the fighter does
that is 2/3rd damage if the wizard never has an adjacent enemy to green flame, and if the wizard never takes 1 round to use a high level spell. just at will (and only 1 of 5 at wills the wizard has) your math does 2/3 the damage. that is the best the fighter can do and the least the wizard can do.

congrats that is the best example I have ever seen. A wizard useing an atwill cantrip (1 of 5) and a fighter useing all his action surges and getting 2 short rests to keep reuseing them the fighter does 1/3 more damage. that wizard still has 4 more at wills and 9 levels of spell slots.
That is damage for a crappy fighter subclass against a Bladesinger in Bladesong
blade song doesn't add to damage it adds to AC, so it is just a blade singer all day long... the blade song boost his AC over or equal to the fighter and what fighter subclass is at will giving you better then that 18+ crit and second fighting style?
which is the best melee wizard.
I mean it's one of the only, maybe the only worth talking about melee but it is useing the melee cantrip that wizards, sorcerers, artificers and warlocks all have (green flame blade) or with a feat anyone can have (but that only really helps the eldritch knight fighter who I think can also grab it TBF)
Put a better fighter in there and you will run away even more.
what fighter gets better atwill damage? also how does that (not atwill) resources stack up to even 3rd level spells?
You say it is equal but it is not even close.
your best bet got the wizard useing no resources per day to 2/3 the damage.
How do you add intelligence to your cantrip damage if you were not using a subclass?
green flame blade adds Int to damage at 1st level then adds 1/2/3D8s at 5/11/17

my non melee weak wizard can take a staff or knife or I think club and swap out for a day to have green flame blade and add int to damage at level 1 no sub class (Not what I would recomend mind you but they can)
The numbers I gave above are for a bladesinger and they are way behind a basic crappy champion at that level.
champion is your best bet for at will with that 18+ crit and your least fun option... BUT yes it is going agianst THE MELEE WIZARD and the fighter is useing all of there resources (action surge) and the wizard is useing non of his (spells). and you STILL got to 2/3rd.
Not a little behind, way behind and they don't consider things like using actions to cast false life, defensive spells in combat, more than 6 fights (out of bladesong) or losing bladesong mid fight.
no I would not consider casting false life in any battle unless I was brain dead... I said that spell (That wasn't even my example at first but one adopted from this thread and I am still waiting on hearing if people actuallly think it's worth trying) was only if you had some down time between fights... but since you gave us 2 short rests we know we have some.
Now on the defensive side, I agree a Wizard can be every bit of the tank a fighter can. A better tank in fact than a fighter can ever manage if optimised for that. But such a wizard will not keep up in melee damage.
why is that wizard useing all 3-5 of his cantrips everyturn? because if not greenflame blade is all I used and by YOUR math that at will is 2/3 the out put of a fighter...
in your mind is the tanking wizard useing every single spell slot to tank too? what 7th or 8th level spells? (Yeah I hear people talk about dropping a 9th level immunity if that is what you mean, but again myself I have never seen it used well)
It is not even close. To keep up in melee they need to use offensive melee oriented spells (shadowblade, haste, Spirit Shroud etc) and if they do that they will not be as effective at tanking.
I just did it with green flame blade as 2/3 the damage, so add 1 not all of those and it is better then 2/3 and that is if at no point they start at range and the wizard drops a 3rd or 4th level spell.
One other thing to note on hp is they are a daily resource, not just a total resource. A fighter with 180hps and 3 short rests a day has the hit points he ends his long rest with plus the hit points in his hit dice plus the hit points in second wind 3 times a day.
that is true the fighter d10HD is a bonus over the wizard d6s... and I will even admit I have seen low and mid level parties need to use half or more of there HD on occasion so on those days the fighter does have the edge of 2pts of healing on average per die. I should list that more. Sorry.
A fighter with 180hps total will have between 347.5-437.5 hit points per day to "spend" depending on how many hit dice he starts the day with. A Wizard with 120hps total has between 180-240hps per day to spend (not including any from false life). This matters when you are talking about how much damage a character can take over the course of a day.
the problem is that most parties have someone that can heal (and again the wizard is not only the weakest caster for melee but one of the only ones that can't self heal), and that makes the numbers un usable...

You are putting numbers up here that prove my point.
nope... it is the weakest full caster in melee and it is doing a pretty good job with 1 of there cantrips and 0 spell slots...
Fighter AC 18 181hp 4 attacks +11 1d8+7
wizard AC 17 120hp 1 attack +11 1d8+3d8+5+int mod (lets say that is 3)
was not a bladesinger (or they would get a second attack at 1d8+5) and isn't useing any spells slots.

there is 0 reason why a wizard should be able to do this, and they are FAR from the only casters that can...
the valor or sword bard gets 2 attacks or a cantrip not both like bladesinger but also gets 9 levels of spells gets a die code higher of HD and can do this too (useing cha instead of int an arguable better stat)
the hexblade is down right broken being able to use Cha to attack AND for spells and can do this with 2 attacks or cantrip but also has medium armor 2-3 up to 5th level spell slots per short rest and 1 each of 6ht-9th level spells...and that d8 HD instead of d6

The war cleric and the druid... you know what I think you get it.

this wasn't the best melee tank of the casters useing everything they have... this was the worst melee tank of the casters useing 0 spell slots and only 1 at will

the claim is 95% of tankability and you post a wizard that has a lower AC and 66% of the hps of the fighter
at will with no resource use... correct this wasn't my best this was just a wizard. again a blade singer will have higher AC and both have spells 9th level ones by the time of 20th level.
- or 50% of the fighter if you include 3-daily second wind (unless you are burning spell slots on false life and then the other statement below is untrue).
again I love this... second wind is cool but it is not on par with ANY 2md level spells let alone 8th or 9th (I can see a good argument that it is as good as a 1st level spell though)
4 weapon attacks totaling 4d8+28 is A LOT MORE damage than one spell attack at 4d8+5. It is twice as much .... and I don't know where the int mod is coming from, are you talking about Empowered Evocation from the School of Evocation subclass?
the base cantrip is adding INT, if you don't know green flame blade then maybe you need to go read up on melee casters... because I am going to have to assume you have never seen one in play.
So the numbers you posted above is roughly 50% of the tankability and 50% of the melee damage. It is not anywhere close to 95% of the tankability and 100% of the damage!
it's about 2/3 but okay we can round down to 50%... okay now that wizard gets a subclass (cause again I DIDN'T use blade singer or the numbers are higher) and 1st 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th level spells... all the way up to 9th.
If you have them prepared and don't use the to slots to be able to tank better than a fighter sure.
wait what?!?!
a wizard can prep level+int mod spells and has a full caster worth of slots... if they put ANY of those to tank or damage they up that 50%... if they put ALL of them to it they shoot past the fighter... but they don't have to put all of them, just a few defenses (shield is big) and a few damage at range (too many to list) and then can prep 'make under water basket weave itself' and still be fine.

ECMO3

Hero
right cause getting a shield prof is easy, and aagain anyone can get it... so no that didn't enter in, and at best gives the fighter a +2 AC but also the warcleric and I think hexblade and valor bard but I would have to check... if your argument is that shield prof is equal to having 3rd+ level spells you are in a bad postion already... let alone 9th level spells.

It gives the fighter a 20AC and is universally available as part of their class. You were talking abotu a fighter and an 18 AC, but why would you be playing such a character when you could easily have a 20

I said it would give a fighter a 20 or 21AC (not 17, not 18 which the numbers you were throwing around) while also doing twice as much damage in melee as the wizard cantrip numbers you posted. Literally twice as much.

Who said it was equal to 3rd and 9th level spells? I never said that.

if stats are equal to start fighter has 1 feat/ASI bonus over the caster at level 6 (so by level 12 witch is the entire game for most people, and more then half the game for everyone) and 2 feat/asi by 20th (16th or 17th I think)

1 ASI is two more points. Morover when talking about melee the fighter is generally less MAD and can make strength and dexterity and constitution his three highest stats. It is more difficult to build a Wizard to do this

Finally your whole arguement is the Wizard can easily have a 20 Dexterity. Doing that on point buy before level 12 means at most he has invested 2 points in intelligence OR taken 1 feat.

here we go... the champion is the defualt... I gave it cause it is easy. you want to try to run something better (my guess will be rune knight or psiknight) you will be at the same for atwill output EXCEPT loose that 18+crit

In a discussion focused on both tanakability and DPR a Rune Knight is one of the better ones (Battlemaster is the best but the math for that is overwhelming).

Being able to crit on an 18 adds less than 4DPR to the champion build. The Rune Knight has that beat by a mile because he makes one eitght of his attacks at advantage, gets an extra 1d10 damage per round (and he can float it to a different attack if he misses). On the tankability side the RK gets resistance to bludgeoning, piercing and slashing as well as the ability to transfer an entire attack to someone else and restrain one enemy a short rest.

notice I didn't give the wizard a 20 Int at all... if you WANT TO MELEE you most likely will put dex and con over int.

Sure. But you did give the Wizard an intelligence bonus to his cantrip that he does not gdet as a class feature.

maybe I will give you this... I just am not used to seeing fighters with 15+ dex wearing heavy armor since they can't use there dex in it (exception is the barbarian subclass from middle earth that lets you use full dex in any armor... I have seen that end up with plate(full or half) + high dex) in theory you could get 1 more with plate I just don't see it often enough to have thought that way.

Yes they can use dex in it. They have disadvantage on stealth checks, they do not have any penalties on any other dexterity checks, and disadvantage is not the same as auto failure.

once again, okay fair enough +1 higher AC for plate.

Or actually +3e more for plate and a shield/

I may just have missed it but what class or background gives you plate at 1st level?

I said possible, not available. Moreover it is going to take your max out dex Wizard 8 levels to get there, while investing more in an off-stat.

here we go... the champion is the defualt... I gave it cause it is easy. you want to try to run something better (my guess will be rune knight or psiknight) you will be at the same for atwill output EXCEPT loose that 18+crit and half prof to a bunch of skills to get some (admitidly more fun) tricks a few times per day... but nothing on par with a 5th level spell, most likely you wont find something like a 3rd level one but for sure the 2 6th 2 7th 1 8th and 1 9th level spell the wizard has alone not countign the other 5 levels will blow those options away so it wont help.

The half proficiency to a bunch of skills is irrelevant in a discussion focused on melee damage and tankability only (as for that matter is access to 9th level spells if you don't use them for one of these things).

What 7th level spell is going to give the Wizard more tankability or melee damage? Your arguement is this is important to doing these things, tell me what spell you are going to use for that (I know what I would use).

the base weapon is 1d8+5 plus 3d8+3 fire and an ajacent creature takes 3d8+3 fire.

Ok to start with Green Flame Blade does not add your intelligence modifier to the creature you attack with it. I have said this a few times now. The only ways to do that which I know of are to play school of Evocation-Evocation mastery or School of Bladesinging-Song of Victory.

Second in the uncommon situation where there is a 2nd enemy next to the first you are doing 7d8+8 damage total, which is still substantially less than the champion fighter doing 4d8+28.

that is 2/3rd damage if the wizard never has an adjacent enemy to green flame

Where do you get 2/3rds from?

4d8+5 is 23.9DPR

A base fighter with no subclass is doing 4d8+28 is doing 46.9DPR, with dueling and no subclass (i.e. no crit on a 18).

23.9 is A LOT closer to 50% than it is to 2/3rds.

and if the wizard never takes 1 round to use a high level spell. just at will (and only 1 of 5 at wills the wizard has) your math does 2/3 the damage. that is the best the fighter can do and the least the wizard can do.

It is 50% less.

Instead of going on and on about these theoreticals post some actual spells with real numbers that are going to accomplish what you claim - 95% of the tankability and 100% or more of the melee damage simultaneously for the course of a day.

congrats that is the best example I have ever seen. A wizard useing an atwill cantrip (1 of 5) and a fighter useing all his action surges and getting 2 short rests to keep reuseing them the fighter does 1/3 more damage.

That is exactly what I claimed from the begining. to be clear this is the closest Wizard I can come up with and a relatively weak fighter over a normal adventuring day and it is nowhere near the same, not even close.

If you can beat it, then put up spells and numbers to do that.

that wizard still has 4 more at wills and 9 levels of spell slots.

Ok. How is he going to use them to beat the fighter in melee damage while maintaining 95% of the tankability.

blade song doesn't add to damage it adds to AC, so it is just a blade singer all day long... the blade song boost his AC over or equal to the fighter and what fighter subclass is at will giving you better then that 18+ crit and second fighting style?

WRONG. At 14th level being in Bladesong adds intelligence modifier to weapon attacks and I used that in the calculations I made.

The Champion fighter you chose to use gets 2 fighting styles, one at 1st level , one at 10th level.

or with a feat anyone can have (but that only really helps the eldritch knight fighter who I think can also grab it TBF)

Magic-Initiate with booming Blade and Green Flame Bade arethe most common feats I see on Rogues that are not an Arcane Trickster.

On a fighter is not very useful because you can't use it with extra attack (unless you are a bladesinger). So after level 5 it is extremely weak.
your best bet got the wizard useing no resources per day to 2/3 the damage.

50% of the damage, but I am still waiting to hear what spells you are using to beat it.

green flame blade adds Int to damage at 1st level then adds 1/2/3D8s at 5/11/17

No it doesn't. Go read the spell.

It adds int damage to the 2nd target only.

champion is your best bet for at will with that 18+ crit and your least fun option... BUT yes it is going agianst THE MELEE WIZARD and the fighter is useing all of there resources (action surge) and the wizard is useing non of his (spells). and you STILL got to 2/3rd.

50% but whos counting?

No I would not consider casting false life in any battle unless I was brain dead...

Then you are not going to match 95% of the tankability of a fighter at that level, even with a higher AC. False is the only spell you have as a Wizard that can give you hit points and you will be losing them very quickly.

why is that wizard useing all 3-5 of his cantrips everyturn? because if not greenflame blade is all I used and by YOUR math that at will is 2/3 the out put of a fighter...

Because that is the idea. Melee you know .... what this whole discussion is about.

in your mind is the tanking wizard useing every single spell slot to tank too?

Ok. I have played this build A LOT. 95% of the leveled spells cast are one of the following:

Contingency(with a 5th level false life to trigger on low hit points)
Mage Armor
False Life
Haste
Blur
Absorb Elements
Shield
Protection from Evil and Good

There are a host of other situational spells to use too but these are the primary ones you are casting.

That is what he uses spell slots for, including high level slots. These spells will make you a BETTER tank than a fighter. Not equal, better. That is the whole thing you are trying to do with this build. It is the theme but it is NOT doing better in melee damage.

If you start using spells on other things you will generally not survive as long.

I think the difference between you and I is that I actually have played a hard melee Wizard at high levels and I know what you need to do to tank better in melee than a fighter or a Barbarian

again I love this... second wind is cool but it is not on par with ANY 2md level spells let alone 8th or 9th (I can see a good argument that it is as good as a 1st level spell though)

Please let me know what 2nd level Wizard spell can give you 27.5hps as a bonus action in combat.

The closest thing you have is False Life which needs to be upcast to 4th level to match this, or Wish which is a 9th level spell and is an action to cast.

Note I am not counting Tensor's Transformation in this because that will seriously screw up your ability to attack and also take down your other defenses.

Being able to stay above 0 hps is the key feature in being able to tank.

I just did it with green flame blade as 2/3 the damage, so add 1 not all of those and it is better then 2/3 and that is if at no point they start at range and the wizard drops a 3rd or 4th level spell.

Except your example was actually 50% of the damage and 2/3rds is not equal damage.

I want the build that is doing 95% of the tankability and equal damage at the same time and I don't want well I can do 2/3rds and have all these spells .... of course you can, you are a Wizard but that is not the same thing. What I want is the actual build that is doing both these things at the same time - more damage, 95% of tankability

the problem is that most parties have someone that can heal (and again the wizard is not only the weakest caster for melee but one of the only ones that can't self heal), and that makes the numbers un usable...

If the party is constantly healing you, especially in combat, then you are not doing your job as a tank. Any character can tank with a cleric on standby to heal him every time he goes down.

Last edited:

Clint_L

Hero
Yes I am ignoring it because the claim is the Wizard could do as much damage while being 95% of the tankability of the fighter.

Not "at most". Using only class abilities and no feats "at most" the tanky fighter will put out 44 damage (4d8+28) average if all hit. The wizard with 4d10 is doing 22 or half of that.

How many creatures CR 15 or higher have weak wisdom saves?

64%, even if it is true, is less than 100%

Considering saves, A fireball would need to hit 4 enemies to reliably outdamage a fighter and you can do this 3 times a day at 20th level .... or essentially every round for most of ONE fight.

Now you do have a lot of other spells, but you are using a lot of them to be "95%" as tanky as a fighter. So you are up standing next to the ancient red dragon .... err blue dragon ..... as you cast fireball at him.

People started talking about spell mastery, which is 18th level and you are splitting hairs here.

No he can't. A 3rd level damaging spell will generally not do as much damage as a full attack action by a fighter. It some cases it will if the enemies are tightly packed, but not in most cases.

Also to keep up your 95% of the tankability you will need to use many of these slots on false life because a fighter has more hit points and can heal himself about 75 points a day (not counting hit dice)

A Bladesinger concentrating on Shadowblade with no temp hps will not last two rounds in melee against most difficult foes she will face and her shadowblade often won't last one round due to crappy concentration saves. Also Shadow Blade and Bladesong are both a Bonus Action.

Sure if the save fails he is almost up to what a fighter can do, but the save is going to be made a lot more than a fighter will miss.

I agree completely, and 80% overall is less than 95% of tankability while maintaining the same damage like I said originally.

To reiterate the original claim I disagreed with was that a Wizard can be 95% of the tankability of a fighter while doing as much damage. That is not true. 80% overall I agree with. 130% of the tankability while doing substantially less damage I agree with. Doing as much damage while being much less tankable I also agree with.

How easy it is depends entirely on how you roll. With great rolls it is easy to do, with poor rolls not easy to do. But regardles of how possible it is, we are assuming they are not maxing another stat first or taking a feat and that is actually the "big assumption" I was talking about.

When I am playing a bladesinger, absolutely I do that - max int and dex first. When I am playing a non-bladesinger not ususally. Usually things like Warcaster or multiple half feats on intelligence are more attractive to me than maxing dex.
This is without factoring in magic items which, as far as reliable damage output goes, heavily favour fighters. At level 20 we have to assume a +3 weapon.

No one out damages a level 20 fighter on a reliable basis. Other classes might have surges here and there, especially in circumstances such as a cluster of weak opponents, but if you are just whaling on a Big Bad, fighters are amazing. I thought the argument was that the fighter lacked options, not that they lack damage or survivability.

Last edited:

Except your example was actually 50% of the damage and 2/3rds is not equal damage.

I'm not going point by point any more... I took YOUR math that YOU said 2/3 and assumed it was right. I then kept going with it.

I will admit I added 3 extra damage because I miss remembered green flame. like teh fighter in plate instead of useing his dex I will admit to a mistake. However I will not concead the idea that a wiazrd is casting false life mid fight at any given regularity... that is a pre fight buff most times. (and again is not a common one at that as far as I have seen)

however my argument seems to have been lost on you so let me try again...

The wizard is the worst caster to put in melee... (maybe an argument could be made for sorcerer being worse) and it can by your own account out fighter a fighter with the right spells going (weather we disagree on what those spells are not withstanding)

now if the worst (or second worst if you want to argue sorcerer) full caster to make melee can out melee the fighter and the fighter can NOT choose to out do the caster in any of the things a caster can do, what you have is a rules problem where being a caster is always the better choice.

in the last 6 years (so going back to 2017 but not all the way to 2014) I have seen 0 straight fighters and 1 straight rogue and 1 straight monk (that one was me and I sucked) with the exception of when we put the restriction on the game that no one could be a full (or sometimes any) caster...

the reason is simple and one that we can elaborate on if you want more detail. If I want to play in melee I have multi options for casters. If I want to play at range I have multi casters. If I want to be something OTHER then combat focus I have plenty of casters... round by round and build by build the casters make more interesting choses and have the potential* for more power.

So the fix I want is a fighter that can be as good at melee as a caster BUT can choose to also be as good at explortation and social encounters. HOWEVER I want that fighter to have options both round to round and build to build... like a caster.

*Now I saw potential because at no point have I argued that there is not times when a caster doesn't have the right spells known/preped/availubul and as such can not pull out a swiss army win button... BUT where there is a chance of it with the caster it is 99% assuered (100% if I hit it hard doesn't solve it) the non casters wont have that win button either.

This is without factoring in magic items which, as far as reliable damage output goes, heavily favour fighters. At level 20 we have to assume a +3 weapon.

No one out damages a level 20 fighter on a reliable basis. Other classes might have surges here and there, especially in circumstances such as a cluster of weak opponents, but if you are just whaling on a Big Bad, fighters are amazing. I thought the argument was that the fighter lacked options, not that they lack damage or survivability.
Part of the issue is that not many groups actually use the 8-encounter adventuring day in which the fighters get to show how reliable they are.
If the adventuring day only has a couple of encounters in it, then fighters can and do get out damaged.

As I mentioned earlier, even if you restrict performance to melee attacks only, a Bladesinger wizard that decides "tomorrow I just want to wreck :poop:" as the group raids the BBEG's lair can probably out-do most fighters even without AoE, or save-based spells.

ECMO3

Hero
I'm not going point by point any more... I took YOUR math that YOU said 2/3 and assumed it was right. I then kept going with it.

I also said it was for a Bladesinger, your claim was 2/3rds for a Wizard without a subclass.

I will admit I added 3 extra damage because I miss remembered green flame. like teh fighter in plate instead of useing his dex I will admit to a mistake. However I will not concead the idea that a wiazrd is casting false life mid fight at any given regularity... that is a pre fight buff most times. (and again is not a common one at that as far as I have seen)

Ok don't cast it and then die.

If you are a 120hp wizard and you are tanking and relying on spamming shield for your defense at 20th level you will die very quickly. A Ancient Red Dragon on average will take you to 0 in a round and a half. That includes your free casting of shield and your 20 Dex. It is possible for him to take you to 0 in a single round with good rolls and that is without even breathing. You on average go down in round 1 if the Dragon breathes on you.

On the other hand cast an 8th level False life before the fight, have a second one at 5th level under a contingency and now you can last into the third round, which is where a stock sword and board fighter with no magic would go down. Cast a third false life at 7th level in the second or 3rd round and you have a fair chance to make it into the 4th round. Go with a Bladesinger and the same two initial spells and you can beat both the fighter and the non-bladesinger getting to probably round 6. The play for a bladesinger here is complicated with three legendaries and he should not spam shield on the first hit that would cancel.

Don't use False life and you won't last tanking.

The wizard is the worst caster to put in melee... (maybe an argument could be made for sorcerer being worse) and it can by your own account out fighter a fighter with the right spells going (weather we disagree on what those spells are not withstanding)

A Wizard built for melee is great at it but it can be either a tank or a damage dealer in melee and do ONE of those better than a fighter but not both. If it focuses on being a tank she will not deal as much damage. If she focuses on dealing damage she will not be able to tank as well.

The Wizard example above can tank as good as a fighter. Instead of using her high level slots on false life you can use them on something like spam upcasting an 8th level shadowblade (recasting when you lose concentration). If you do this you will equal or even beat the fighter on melee damage, but you won't last very long doing it.

now if the worst (or second worst if you want to argue sorcerer) full caster to make melee can out melee the fighter and the fighter can NOT choose to out do the caster in any of the things a caster can do, what you have is a rules problem where being a caster is always the better choice.

Of course he can't, because he is a fighter, the class is not designed to and the mechanics are not built into it. On the other hand mechanics to be effective in melee are built into the Wizard class.

in the last 6 years (so going back to 2017 but not all the way to 2014) I have seen 0 straight fighters and 1 straight rogue and 1 straight monk (that one was me and I sucked) with the exception of when we put the restriction on the game that no one could be a full (or sometimes any) caster...

Most polls indicate more people are playing fighters than any other class.

I have seen single class PCs for every class except Cleric. I might have seen a single class Cleric too, I just don't remember one. IME most players do not multiclass. I have seen many single class Monks and Fighters, to include single class fighters of my own.

I played in a fair number of games do not even allow multiclassing, but I did not play any that did not allow casters.

I almost always multiclass if it is allowed, but I am playing a straight fighter myself right now (Shaddar Kai with Zhentilar's Finest subclass). I will also point out that the only two classes I played personally in 5E where I did not multiclass are Paladin and Fighter.

So the fix I want is a fighter that can be as good at melee as a caster BUT can choose to also be as good at explortation and social encounters. HOWEVER I want that fighter to have options both round to round and build to build... like a caster.

I personally don't want to see more put into the fighter class to do this. The fighter can already use races, backgrounds and feats to be good at that stuff while still being good at melee.

The only way to give them all the options casters have is to give them spells. If you absolutely must "fix" the fighter to be good at other things just make them a full caster with the same spell progression as Wizards.

*Now I saw potential because at no point have I argued that there is not times when a caster doesn't have the right spells known/preped/availubul and as such can not pull out a swiss army win button... BUT where there is a chance of it with the caster it is 99% assuered (100% if I hit it hard doesn't solve it) the non casters wont have that win button either.

I would not agree with 99%, although I would agree that it is not often. I would say something like 70% is more common.

For example you need to break through a locked door/gate/chest/handcuffs .... a fighter with strength just might have that "win" button. A wizard absolutely could do better ... if he has the right spell.

We are also ignoring subclasses here, because fighter subclasses bring a lot of this stuff to the game, generally more of this stuff than Wizard subclasses do (although spells more than make up for it).

Last edited:

Okay. That's not D&D. I'm not going to argue the merits of that game with you; it doesn't sound like my cup of tea, but it's your game and more power to you.
D&D is a game that makes claims, both explicit and implicit, that characters of the same level should be roughly evenly balanced.

It also (as I think we agree) is a game where high level wizards are way more flexible than low level. Should it be this way? Because fundamentally the issue is that the non-casters just do not work in two out of four tiers of the game and struggle badly in the top half of tier 2.
Most of this conversation is about super high level characters
This conversation is best illustrated by super high level characters. But the casters have pulled ahead in general by level 7 and there's clear water at level 9. That's two thirds of the published game that's unbalanced.

Remove ads