Marvel Multiverse RPG Brought Forward & New X-Men Expansion

Marvel has announced that the Marvel Multiverse roleplaying game will be released in August--and that an X-Men sourcebook will come out in 2024.

marrpgxmen.jpg

The core rulebook is already available for pre-order, and will be on sale on August 2nd. It has been revamped based on the playtest feedback from the playtest rulebook released ast year. "After receiving thousands of fan responses, the core rulebook now features the new and revamped rules that make for a fun, fast, and dynamic game — including quick character creation, bombastic combat, and hundreds of amazing powers — plus full profiles of dozens of Marvel’s greatest heroes and villains. All that's needed is the book, three standard six-sided dice, and friends!"

This will be followed by Cataclysm of Kang, a collection of six adventures coming later this year. "This book includes new character profiles and features a series of six interlocked adventures. Fans can play through with a new team or character each time, or form a campaign that takes players from street-level heroes to cosmic champions! Both the core rulebook and adventure book are written by award-winning and New York Times best-selling author Matt Forbeck."

Finally, X-Men Expansion will launch in 2024, and will feature the X-Men, their allies and foes, and details of X-Men locations. "This is the first full-sized sourcebook for the Marvel Multiverse Role-Playing Game, and features the most uncanny Super Heroes of all: the X-Men and all their various spin-off teams, greatest allies and most fearsome foes. The X-Men Expansion is jammed full of vital information about Marvel’s most popular mutants, including dozens of new profiles for characters from X-Force, the New Mutants and Marauders. It also includes full-color maps of famous X-Men locations, including the Xavier Institute, Krakoa and Arakko, plus plenty of thrilling twists and turns for an entire campaign. Answer the call and join the X-Men! The creative team for this book will be announced soon."

Lord_Blacksteel

Adventurer
Yeah ... I have run and played quite a few superhero RPGs over the years and this one just didn't really light things up for me in playtest form. I like the subject, I like the author, but the system just felt off. I'll take another look when we get the final version but I'm not sure what kind of changes it would take to really make it gel.

Also feels like an odd choice to have an X-Men supplement with no Wolverine on the cover.

Anyway, at least we have a target date to see the "real" game now.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Unless Amazon is wrong it looks like this is going to be a $60 hardcover.

That's too bad from my perspective - I was hoping for a smaller game with a price around that of one of marvel's graphic novel trade collections. Bigger than the playtest but not that much bigger. Teaching my players another big RPG is probably off the table at this point, especially since as far as supers games go they're happy with Icons.

Still interested in how the playtest ends up in the end - I've been following it off and on and the changes they were making were moving in a positive direction.

Haplo781

Legend
Ooof. Swing and a miss from Marvel here. The preview rules were straight out of an 80s heartbreaker and I can't imagine they'll change enough on full release to improve the multiple massive issues with the core mechanics.

This would have been the perfect time to release a new entry point for a big IP, too, with 5e winding down and the OGL controversy still fresh. A simple-to-learn system with a lot of depth like Cortex paired with a killer franchise could have actually dethroned D&D. Instead this will just end up in the discount bin.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Yep. Literally a fresh coat of paint on that with new art and a tie-in to Marvel Studios' latest saga could have toppled D&D from the #1 spot. But they had to have their proprietary in-house "616" system with more tables and subsystems than RIFTS and GURPS put together.
As much as I would like that to be true, I doubt it. Licensed games seem to sell well to collectors and have dedicated but small fan bases, but I doubt it would topple D&D. Same with Cortex. It literally had the chance a few years ago but did not topple anyone.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases