Marvel Multiverse RPG Brought Forward & New X-Men Expansion

Marvel has announced that the Marvel Multiverse roleplaying game will be released in August--and...

Marvel has announced that the Marvel Multiverse roleplaying game will be released in August--and that an X-Men sourcebook will come out in 2024.

marrpgxmen.jpg

The core rulebook is already available for pre-order, and will be on sale on August 2nd. It has been revamped based on the playtest feedback from the playtest rulebook released ast year. "After receiving thousands of fan responses, the core rulebook now features the new and revamped rules that make for a fun, fast, and dynamic game — including quick character creation, bombastic combat, and hundreds of amazing powers — plus full profiles of dozens of Marvel’s greatest heroes and villains. All that's needed is the book, three standard six-sided dice, and friends!"

This will be followed by Cataclysm of Kang, a collection of six adventures coming later this year. "This book includes new character profiles and features a series of six interlocked adventures. Fans can play through with a new team or character each time, or form a campaign that takes players from street-level heroes to cosmic champions! Both the core rulebook and adventure book are written by award-winning and New York Times best-selling author Matt Forbeck."

Finally, X-Men Expansion will launch in 2024, and will feature the X-Men, their allies and foes, and details of X-Men locations. "This is the first full-sized sourcebook for the Marvel Multiverse Role-Playing Game, and features the most uncanny Super Heroes of all: the X-Men and all their various spin-off teams, greatest allies and most fearsome foes. The X-Men Expansion is jammed full of vital information about Marvel’s most popular mutants, including dozens of new profiles for characters from X-Force, the New Mutants and Marauders. It also includes full-color maps of famous X-Men locations, including the Xavier Institute, Krakoa and Arakko, plus plenty of thrilling twists and turns for an entire campaign. Answer the call and join the X-Men! The creative team for this book will be announced soon."

Reynard

Legend
One of the things I dislike about more modern supers RPGs is that they often try and be "comic book" RPGs. That is, they attempt to emply mechanics that either emulate or are at least inspired by things like panels -- actual comic book elements rather that super hero genre elements.

I much prefer my supers games to focus on the genre parts rather than the medium parts. I also like my supers games relatively serious -- that is, embracing the genre and its inherent weirdness without having to wink at the audience. But I don't mean 90s chains and anti-heroes serious. "Supers with consequences" can be fun, but can also grow tiresome. It's okay to let a guy who can punch down a building NOT pulp a purse snatcher.

Haplo781

Legend
Doom is the villain we deserve, and I suspect he'll be the next Avengers-level threat after Kang.

Re: X-Men '97, I'm rather fond of the insane conspiracy theory I came across on YouTube that Marvel is going to use it as the MCU's equivalent of the Ultimate universe - that is, the "other" universe that will be destroyed in Secret Wars.

MGibster

Legend
The FF was my first superhero comic, and the team is still my favorite. Doctor Doom in particular is practically the epitome of a supervillain.
I think you meant to say: DOOM IS THE EPOTOME OF ALL SUPERVILLAINS!

Edit: I kind of wish I spelled epitome correctly. Doom would have pronounced it correctly.

Last edited:

MGibster

Legend
It boggles my mind that when I started playing TSR's Marvel Superheroes that most of the comic franchies were about twenty five years old at the time. Between 1961 and 1963 we saw the introduction of Spider-Man, The Avengers, The Incredible Hulk, The Fantastic Four, and The Uncanny X-Man. Now that I'm in my late 40s, it seems like less than a quarter of a century worth of comic books is paltry given that more than 30 have passed since I stopped playing MSH. Boggles my mind. I remember Kang's write up for the FASERIP game, he didn't seem so tough back then.

Remove ads

Remove ads