Marvel Multiverse RPG Brought Forward & New X-Men Expansion

Marvel has announced that the Marvel Multiverse roleplaying game will be released in August--and that an X-Men sourcebook will come out in 2024.

marrpgxmen.jpg

The core rulebook is already available for pre-order, and will be on sale on August 2nd. It has been revamped based on the playtest feedback from the playtest rulebook released ast year. "After receiving thousands of fan responses, the core rulebook now features the new and revamped rules that make for a fun, fast, and dynamic game — including quick character creation, bombastic combat, and hundreds of amazing powers — plus full profiles of dozens of Marvel’s greatest heroes and villains. All that's needed is the book, three standard six-sided dice, and friends!"

This will be followed by Cataclysm of Kang, a collection of six adventures coming later this year. "This book includes new character profiles and features a series of six interlocked adventures. Fans can play through with a new team or character each time, or form a campaign that takes players from street-level heroes to cosmic champions! Both the core rulebook and adventure book are written by award-winning and New York Times best-selling author Matt Forbeck."

Finally, X-Men Expansion will launch in 2024, and will feature the X-Men, their allies and foes, and details of X-Men locations. "This is the first full-sized sourcebook for the Marvel Multiverse Role-Playing Game, and features the most uncanny Super Heroes of all: the X-Men and all their various spin-off teams, greatest allies and most fearsome foes. The X-Men Expansion is jammed full of vital information about Marvel’s most popular mutants, including dozens of new profiles for characters from X-Force, the New Mutants and Marauders. It also includes full-color maps of famous X-Men locations, including the Xavier Institute, Krakoa and Arakko, plus plenty of thrilling twists and turns for an entire campaign. Answer the call and join the X-Men! The creative team for this book will be announced soon."

StoicElf

Level 1 Sorcerer
I’m not certain what type of audience they are trying to appeal to with the ruleset. It felt very much like a computer game witg the progression trees for all the different abilities. It seemed a lot more easy to simulate a certain comic book character than to easily create your own (which fo be fair, might be exactly what you want, why else play the Marvel RPG instead of Mutants & Masterminds, for example). Anyway, I do very much like comic book art and I see the appeal of having a book witg the stats of all my favorite heroes. I might be tempted to pick this up, or even just the X-men book, if the art is good.

I see their system was designed to be not d20, but easy to be understood and learnt by players used to d20.

And I suspect in a future we could see CRPGS based in this TTRPG.

----

I wonder if after this the next step will be a Star Wars RPG published by themself, when the licence with Fantasy Flight Studios ended. Disney could dare to change again Star Wars and this would become a "multiverse", I mean, alternate timelines becoming canon, for example "Legends/Expanded Universe", but also crossovers universes style Transformers/Star Wars, or Star Wars/Spelljammer. (nothing of Skywalker family, only jedis visiting and exploring other universes).

Doom is the villain we deserve, and I suspect he'll be the next Avengers-level threat after Kang.

Re: X-Men '97, I'm rather fond of the insane conspiracy theory I came across on YouTube that Marvel is going to use it as the MCU's equivalent of the Ultimate universe - that is, the "other" universe that will be destroyed in Secret Wars.
Sadly I don't think that's an insane conspiracy theory at all.

The MCU has been demonstrating a pretty mediocre taste level re: plotlines for the entire time it has existed, and wiping out other universes pretty casually and then trying to act like it wasn't a big deal a film or two down the line sounds absolutely on-brand for them. There's a curious amoral streak in the MCU re: anyone who isn't from the current universe (only Spider-Mans seem to not share this amorality, and the MCU one was the one who needed to be taught empathy, I note), which I suspect reflects a lack of real thought on the issues involved and a lack of desire to think about them. Which is fine but, like, maybe don't bring stuff up if you don't want to engage with it, even Kevin Feige?

That said I'd be unsurprised if at some point in 2026 or later we get Genosha (or whatever it's called these days) suddenly appearing on MCU-Earth (which was like Earth-19999 but seems to now be becoming Earth-616 maybe? Confusing).

Sketchpad

Explorer
FASERIP was great for sure. I honestly think if you straight-up re-released it with modern art and updated heroes, it'd go further than this game is likely to.

I said basically that exact thing in the playtest for this new system, and have tried to get some response on social media. Even tried to see if there was a way to license the old game, but got static back. They could've released FASERIP and had the "Multiverse Program" to allow third party publishers. Damn shame.

What about "Aberrant" by White Wolf/Onyx Path?

Marvel Comics has got a very rich mythology, with more 75 years, but we can know it free thanks the wikipedia. About the "crunch", I am afraid soon players will discover what power are broken in the tabletop.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I said basically that exact thing in the playtest for this new system, and have tried to get some response on social media. Even tried to see if there was a way to license the old game, but got static back. They could've released FASERIP and had the "Multiverse Program" to allow third party publishers. Damn shame.
I would bet actual money that the rights to the old FASERIP system are a licensing nightmare and nobody is sure who owns what and it isn't worth the money to them to try to find out.

And that's why a blind eye has always been turned to the fan sites posting scans of that material.

Sketchpad

Explorer
What about "Aberrant" by White Wolf/Onyx Path?

Marvel Comics has got a very rich mythology, with more 75 years, but we can know it free thanks the wikipedia. About the "crunch", I am afraid soon players will discover what power are broken in the tabletop.

Back in the early '90s, I once saw a binder that was basically a Marvel and DC handbook for Champions. Always thought it was a pretty neat idea, and would love to see both using Champions/Hero as a basis for sourcebooks.

I would bet actual money that the rights to the old FASERIP system are a licensing nightmare and nobody is sure who owns what and it isn't worth the money to them to try to find out.

And that's why a blind eye has always been turned to the fan sites posting scans of that material.

You're probably right, Jer. I thought the books had pointed in once specific direction when it came to copyright, but I don't have them in front of me to check.

Uhhh... Yeah about that. Remember that baby celestial from Eternals?
I do, but I'm not sure Kevin Feige does. Except in the minutes which stretch to hours as he's trying to go to sleep at night, and he sees that dorky-ass hand punching out of the sea and frets over movie after movie and TV show after TV show not mentioning it or acknowledging it at all.

If they manage to re-use it for Genosha, awesome.

(Hilariously there's a very similar situation in World of Warcraft, where a giant sword was stabbed into the planet to try and kill the unborn titan within it, and because they didn't do anything with that plotline, they just don't talk about or even really acknowledge the sword anymore.)

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases