Marvel Shares Sabretooth's Stats

The Marvel Multiverse Role-Playing Game is launching next years and Marvel has shared Sabretooth's statistics. They previously previewed Spider-man and others here.

36AC5E39-0805-4590-B84A-45E36F2D22B4.jpeg

Last edited:

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I'm assuming what is shown here is the equivalent of a character sheet mixed with a monster entry in DnD based on Sabertooth being a villain.
It's actually the same as the character sheet. Like most traditional supers games on the market, villains are built exactly like heroes. It's one of the things that makes running supers games challenging tbh.

From a GM perspective this page doesn't seem like it gives me a lot of up front information in terms of playing this character in combat, rather it would require me having to memorize or look up what the 12 or so listed powers mean in the context of the game. This would be a pretty daunting task for a new GM running a Sinister Six battle and having to do this with multiple distinct characters.
This is actually a problem of presentation for the players as well. The PC character sheets in the book look exactly like that - requiring the player to look up powers or somehow copy the text of their powers out of the book. In that way mechanically the powers are like spells or feats in D&D, but unlike D&D where new players start with 1st level characters who might have 3-4 of those kind of rule bits and build mastery as you learn the game over levels, here you're going to want to sit down and play Spider-man - who has around 10 of these right out of the gate to familiarize yourself with. It's like handing a 6th level character to a new player.

It's a bit of a problem with a lot of supers games, but usually the powers are broad enough to fake it. With powers as feats it's a bit more problematic. My attempt at a playtest with my group foundered on us only having one copy of the book and me not thinking to copy out the powers for them individually beforehand.

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
If it helps at all, the Demiplane implementation of the existing characters adds all of the relevant Power rules immediately after the character sheet, so it's much more complete.

These character sheet previews are simply the base stats plus a list of the powers in their power set (which you unlock based on your rank and some "power tree" style decisions). Even a finalized handwritten character sheet is going to require that you have the page spread with your power set handy. I can't see the game working without it.

As for the general sentiment on the game, I can say as a former subreddit mod that it's certainly a polarizing game system. There's some surprisingly good work going on at the subreddit and Discord.

I like on the distinguishing featuers they didn't just put down the rest of his physical appearance: 6'6", 275 pounds, and eyers of amber with slitted pupils. The dudes entire look is distinguishing. Since when did Sabertooth have a cybernetic skeleton?
He doesn't, but the playtest rules are really lacking and cybernetics is about the only way to represent the Adamantium Skeleton he has... though considering how 'broad' these rules want to be they're also massively specific in ways.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases